By Clare Brennan DARFUR GENOCIDE. Map of Sudan and the Darfur region.
out of 14
Post on 16-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- By Clare Brennan DARFUR GENOCIDE
- Slide 2
- Map of Sudan and the Darfur region
- Slide 3
- VOCABULARY Janjaweed: a government funded armed tribal militia group within Sudan SLA: (Sudan Liberation Army) Sudanese rebel group, defied the Sudanese government JEM: (Justice and Equality Movement) Sudanese rebel group, defied the Sudanese government Omar al-Bashir: the president of Sudan who possesses almost all effective political power Janjaweed militia entering a village on Camels
- Slide 4
- US = SLA + JEM + People of Darfur (Black Sudanese) THEM = Janjaweed + Sudanese government (Arab Sudanese) Genocide is racially based
- Slide 5
- 8 STAGES Origins of Conflict Civil war Tension btwn Darfurians + Arabs over land rights Janjaweed = old rivals of SLA and JEM Govt. neglect lead to poverty and starvation Neglected children living in Darfur
- Slide 6
- 8 STAGES 1956: Independence from Britain Civil War: North vs. South ends in 1972 1983 Civil War starts again 1990s govt ignores Darfur violence Feb. 2003 rebel groups attack 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement Timeline
- Slide 7
- 8 STAGES State Sovereignty Authoritarian govt, all power given to President Omar al-Bashir Sept. 2004 UN proposes resolution putting sanctions against Sudans leaders Havent done so, afraid to challenge state sovereignty Sudans president Omar al-Bashir
- Slide 8
- 8 STAGES How genocide is carried out Muslim Arab Sudanese killing Muslim Black Sudanese (Classification) Carried out by Janjaweed Sudanese leaders fund and supply Janjaweed (Organization, Preparation) Enter villages, kill men, rape women, burn houses, destroy entire villages, separate families, shoot those trying to escape (Dehumanization, Extermination) Escapees travel to Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps Pollute water + cut off economic resources
- Slide 9
- Villages in Darfur being burned down and destroyed
- Slide 10
- 8 STAGES Total DeathsDisplaced Civilians Deaths per Day Deaths per Month +400,000+2,000,00050015,000 Statistics President Omar al-Bashir is claiming to have only lost around 10,000 lives (denial)
- Slide 11
- 8 STAGES REVIEW a) Classification black Africans vs. Arab Africans b) Symbolization no specific examples c) Dehumanization harming people, separating families, raping women d) Organization govt. funded Janjaweed, planned route of villages e) Polarization no help or protection f) Preparation govt. cut off Darfur g) Extermination burning villages, killing people h) Denial reject evidence of genocide Suffering children of Darfur
- Slide 12
- INTERNATIONAL RESPONSE Sep, 2004 US Secretary of State declared this an act of genocide US and UN initiated + supported peace agreements, but many countries will not sign up/will not follow them once signed USA June 2005 ICC investigated human rights violations in Darfur March, 2009 ICC issued arrest warrants for al- Bashir, Ahmad Harun, + militia leader Ali Kushayb International Community
- Slide 13
- INTERNATIONAL RESPONSE Justice/Recovery Genocide still going on Justice began thru US and international response, but there is still so much more to be done Some death rates have declined (as a part of recovery), but many people are still suffering/being harmed Many injuries and health concerns still exist and will continue to affect Darfurians even once genocide is ended Corpses in Darfur
- Slide 14
- WORK CITED "11 Facts About Darfur." Do Something. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. BBC News. BBC, 14 Mar. 2013. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. "Council on Foreign Relations." Council on Foreign Relations. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. "Darfur ConflictPeace Elusive in War-torn Region." Darfur Conflict. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. "Darfur Genocide | World Without Genocide." Darfur Genocide | World Without Genocide. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. "The Basic Facts about Darfur." The Basic Facts about Darfur. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. "The Free Automatic Bibliography and Citation Maker." EasyBib. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. "United Human Rights Council." United Human Rights Council. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. "United to End Genocide." United to End Genocide. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013.
View more >
??Web viewArmenian Genocide. Bosnian Genocide . Cambodian Genocide. East Timor Genocide. Rwandan Genocide. Sudan Genocide. Ukrainian
?? Web viewCaroline Ayers. Interdisciplinary Unit. Introduction: Our unit focuses on the very pertinent and modern issue of the genocide in Darfur. Darfur, located in ...
The Genocide in Darfur America must do more to fulfill Genocide in Darfur America must do more to fulfill the Responsibility to Protect Susan E. Rice Summary Genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan has lasted over four years and claimed as many as 450,000 lives. Over this ...
US History in the Region and Policy on Genocide. U.S Relations With Sudan Before the Darfur Genocide Broke Out in 2003 Sudan went from U.S. enemy to ally.
Darfur Action. Darfur Action - Overview Short history of Sudan Short history of Sudan Genocide in Darfur Genocide in Darfur What can be done to save Darfur?