forum on genocide in darfur
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPowerpoint created by students to present at a forum on the genocide in Darfur. Presentation was conducted at the World Bank in conjunction with World Affairs Council.
- Human Rights Crisis in Darfur By: Bell Multicultural H.S. Senior Capstone Class
- Sudan is a country located at theeastern side of Africa , the largest country in the continent
- Population - 40.2 million
- 60% Muslim40% Arabs 60% Black Africans, & 600 ethnic groups
- Languages : Arabic, English, tribal
4. History of Conflict
- Sudan has been in civil war for the last38 years
- Since 1983, overtwo millionpeople have died from war-related cause and up tofour millionhave been displaced
- In2003 , thecurrent genocidebegan
- It is taking place in western part of Sudan,Darfurregion
- A deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group as a result of themassive killingsandproperty destructionof Black Africans-- it is safe to say its a genocide
- Is a conflict between government militia called theJanjaweed , targeting civilian ethnic groups who areBlack Africans
- The U.S. isthe only countryso far that classified the situation in Darfur as a genocide, on the other hand the U.N, EU & AU categorized it as acrime against humanitarian
6. Sequence of an attackCredit: Brian Steidle 7. Statistics
- 400,000 +have died as a result of this violence
- 2 millionhave been displaced (population of Houston, Texas)
- 4 millionare dependent and1 millionare in need of aid
- The genocide has also caused thespreading of diseasessuch as Malaria, Diarrhea, Cholera, Malnutrition, Ebola, Respiratory Infection & HIV AIDS.
9. Government Response
- There have been enough evidence such as:looting of cattleandgrain ,destruction of villages ,executions , andabductionof women and children to suggest that the Sudanese Government is responsible for the conflict.
- The government of Sudan uses overwhelming forces against rebel forces, innocent civilians, and IDP Camps
Credit: Brian Steidle 10. International Response
- On thenegative side , China is supporting the crisis in indirect way by providing military equipment such as ammunitions, and aircraft equipments.
- Inexchange , 70% of Sudans oil exports go to China
- Volunteers and organizations are helping out to make the situation better
- The Red Cross is donating food and other goods from other countries
11. Call To Action
- Write letters , post comments urge your state representatives and make donations to organizations
- TheU.S. should keep pressuring the UN and the Sudanese government to end the genocide
- The international world, shouldput a reconciliation over the Sudanese government.
- As a whole, let us keep the promise of NEVER AGAIN
- Lets stop the Genocide in Darfur and save Darfur now so that
- HISTORY WONT JUDGEUS
12. 13. Bibliography
- http://www.ushmm.org / (Credit: Brian Steidle)