genocide in darfurpwrpoint
of 10 /10
Embed Size (px)
- 1.Genocide in Darfur Corey, David, Nick, Darius, Robert
2. Facts about the Genocide
- The genocide began in February 2003 when the Sudan Liberation Movement and Justice and Equality Movement groups in Darfur accused the Sudanese government of committing genocide against non-arabized Sudanese in favor of Sudanese Arabs.
- One side of the conflict is composed mainly of the official Sudanese military and police.
- The other side consists of the Janjaweed,which are a Sudanese militia group. These tribes are mainly camel-herding nomads.
4. The Janjaweed
- The Janjaweed are African or black people who have been arabized.
- Armed gunmen in Darfur, western Sudan, and now eastern Chad.
- They are well known for the rape, torture, dismemberment, and the displacement of others.
- Sudanese authorities claim a death toll of roughly 19,500 civilians while certain non-governmental organizations, such as the Coalition for International Justice (an organization which initiated advocacy, claimed that over 400,000 people have been killed.
- In September 2004, the World Health Organization estimated that there had been 50,000 deaths in Darfur since the beginning of the genocide an 18-month period.
- An updated estimate the following month put the number of deaths for the 6-month period from March to October 2004 due to starvation and disease at 70,000
7. International Response
- Some believe that the world's most powerful countries have largely limited themselves in expressing concerns and demand for the United Nations to take action in solving the genocide in Darfur.
- The Genocide in Darfur is being referred to as one of the worlds greatest humanitarian crisis.
- Actress Angelina Jolie, and actors George Clooney, Don Cheadle, and Jonah Hill are avid members of the Genocide Intervention Network.
- The Genocide Intervention Network is a non-profit organization.
- Their goal is to protect civilians from genocide or any other mass atrocities.
- They empower individuals with the necessary tools to prevent genocide.
- There have been many efforts in order to end the war.
- Some have resorted to try and settling the genocide by peace talks; but it didnt seem to phase anybody.
- The U.S. has played an active role in trying to settle the genocide.