out of 26
Post on 06-Feb-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis presentation briefly discusses the overall mandate of a PMO department working in an IT Department of an enterprise
- 1. PMOFor MIS/IT DEPARTMENT
- 2. - Vision- Mission Statement- Objectives- Justification- Responsibilities / Mandate- Success Criteria- Implementation Strategy- Metrics- StructureWHAT IS INCLUDED
- 3. To be a hub of strategy and executionfor effective management practices across MIS/ITprojects and operational activitiesVision
- 4. PMO aims to serve as a central organizationwith-in MIS/IT responsible forcreating/revamping, implementing, evangelizing, scrutinizing and supporting allproject internal managementstandards, processes and guidelines.Mission Statement
- 5. By setting up a pro-active, vigilant, agile andvibrant project management office MIS/ITwants to achieve following objectives acrossIT services:ObjectivesUsage of best documentationstandardsUsage of best project management practicesClearest visibility of all work activitiesControl over management ofqualityImproved inter-teamcommunication mechanisms
- 6. By setting up a pro-active, vigilant, agile andvibrant project management office MIS/ITwants to achieve following objectives acrossIT services:ObjectivesOverall improvement in other departments perception aboutMIS/ITs professional/managed approach towards providing itsmandated servicesTHUS...*HAPPY END-USER*
- 7. WHY DO WE NEED THIS ALL..????
- 8. JustificationIn absence of a dedicated Project/ProgramManagement Office MIS/IT was facing somevery irritating problems.No DefinedOperational S.O.P.or GuidelineNo dedicatedStrategizing &StandardizationbodyIT Teams Lack ofknowledge aboutBasic ProjectManagementIT Teams Lack ofknowledge abouteffectiveDocumentation.Very Blur orinvisible progresstracking &traceabilityNo shared platformfor InformationSharing &CollaborationChaotic WorkingStyleLesser control onQuality
- 9. SO WHAT WILL IT ACTUALLY DO..??
- 10. Main ResponsibilitiesIt will work on.. Devising/Creating Updating (Based onfeedback) Doing implementation& end-user education Providing Consultancy Performing QualityAssurancethe.. Policies, Standards& Guidelines Processes &Mechanisms DocumentationStandards &TemplatesFor.. Project Selection Project Planning/Scheduling Management Requirements/Scope Management Business Blue Printing Management Solution Design Management(High/Low Level OR Functional/Technical) Solution Implementation Management(Development/Configurations) Quality Management User Trainings Management Data Migration & Cutover Management Broad-level/Detailed-level ProgressTracking & Reporting Management Communications Management Risk Management& Enterprise Project Management
- 11. Other ResponsibilitiesTo explore, analyze, compare, implement & providesupport for technology-based solutions for all areasincluded in the PMO mandateProvide a centralized documentation repository witha standard document-keeping/archiving structure andits usage guidelines/standards for all (project/non-project) documentation and make sure it is used asper the standardsTo arrange mentoring/coaching programs for allproject managers/other managers or team memberson topics related to project management, ITprocesses, effective communication anddocumentationSegregate the work responsibilities of each MIS/ITsub-departments among each other
- 12. Responsibilities (what are not!)To get involved in performing activities which projectteams are responsible to do e.g. following: Project documentation (Project plan, Req.doc., Testing doc. Etc.) Project communication & related docs (meetingnotes) Or other project execution activitiesBeing directly responsible for the success or failure ofthe project(s)To provide (human) resources for doing projectmanagement for all or specific projects
- 13. AND HOW WILL IT SUCCEED..??
- 14. Critical Pre-requisites for SuccessOn part of Higher ManagementIterative Approach planning & doing things inparts/pieces or iterationsOn part of PMO (itself)Proactive (rather re-active) approachAgility & Flexibility to adapt quickly inresponse to internal & external requirementsand factorsBuy-in & Support for PMO practicesimplementation as per its mandate80/20 rule adoption First priority is for thethings which can achieve you 80% results bymaking 20% of your effortAdherence to standards each and every time
- 15. On part of Rest of the IT DepartmentFlexibility to adapt changes prescribed byPMOEagerness to look for standard practicesbefore starting any work, every timeWillingness for improvement & changeCritical Pre-requisites for Success
- 16. SO HOW WILL IT BE DONE..??
- 17. Implementation Strategy
- 18. AND HOW WILL THEPERFORMANCE BE MEASURED..??
- 19. PMO MetricsTo measure the performance of PMO thefollowing are the four types of metrics whichwill be used1. Direct Quantitative Metrics2. Direct Qualitative Metrics3. In-Direct Quantitative Metrics4. In-Direct Qualitative Metrics
- 20. PMO Metrics1. Direct Quantitative MetricsTotal Number ofdocuments/Doc. Sections filled - VS -Total Number of documents/Doc.Sections RequiredTotal Number of resolveddiscrepancies - VS -Total Number of found (in PMOreviews) discrepanciesTotal Number of resolveddiscrepancies - VS -Total Number of found (in PMOreviews) discrepanciesDocumentationDocumentation DiscrepanciesProcess Conformance DiscrepanciesThe lesser the difference is, the better is PMOs performanceThe lesser the difference is, the better is PMOs performanceThe lesser the difference is, the better is PMOs performance
- 21. PMO MetricsCan be measured by periodic surveys with close-ended questionsBusiness Users Perception about IT processes/management techniques2. Direct Qualitative Metrics
- 22. PMO Metrics3. In-Direct Quantitative MetricsPlanned Time/schedule - VS - Actual Time/ScheduleTotal Required Scope - VS - Total Implemented ScopeTotal Number of resolved issues - VS -Total Number of identified/found(in QA) issuesProject Schedule Performance, for all projectsProject Scope Performance, for all projectsProject Quality Performance, for all projectsThe lesser the difference is, the better is PMOs performance indirectlyThe lesser the difference is, the better is PMOs performance indirectlyThe lesser the difference is, the better is PMOs performance indirectly
- 23. PMO MetricsCan be measured by periodic surveys with close-ended questionsBusiness Users satisfaction about IT services (related to achievement ofbusiness objectives and associated value4. In-Direct Qualitative Metrics
- 24. OKAY!! SO WHAT WILL BE THESTRUCTURE..??
View more >
Publisher Tail Wagging the Research Dog. Harvard Mandate (copyright-retention mandate) NIH Mandate (central deposit mandate) ID/OA Mandate (convergent
Program Management (PMO) Services - Management (PMO) Services ... Project Management Office (PMO) is…