Post on 10-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1.Culmination Assignment
- In this assignment you will put together all that you have studied so far in class.
- The task: In a well written essay, create a plan to accomplish the following mission.The essay MUST incorporate lessons you have learned through your study of the principles of war, Sun Tzus teachings and your study of types of military units and their missions.
- The mission is posted on the class web page.A discussion board has been established so all members may collaborate and share ideas.Each student is expected to contribute at least one item of solid, meaningful (and grammatically correct) information to the discussion board.
- Each student will, however, create their own plan in the end.
- The final plan is due on _____________________
2. The Situation
- The nation of Cellfone has launched and or supported a series of deadly terrorist attacks against US civilians and military installations in neighboring countries.The Cellfonian dictator, Premier Finnigan Beginagan, has announced that his nation is on the verge of creating the mother of all chemical weapons and has stated that his first target will be the cities of the Imperialist Americans. The President and Congress have authorized an invasion of Cellfone in order to topple the Beginagan government and destroy his ability to create these WMDs.
- There is a known resistance group, called the Peoples Beginagan enJetison (PBnJ), operating in the dense forest region west of the capital.They are unorganized / ill trained and lightly equipped, but dedicated to getting rid of dictator Beginagans repressive regime
- The US Ambassador, after delivering a message to the mercurial leader of Cellfone, was arrested and placed under guard at the infamous La Boehme prison.Beginagan has announced that he may execute the ambassador if the US does not back down like the dogs they are.
- US Western Command will conduct a forced entry of CellfoniaNLT 31Oct 2008 and, in conjunction with other Allied Forces, undertake operations aimed at the heart of the Cellfonian regime and the destruction of her armed forces and WMDs.
- Key Tasks
- Seize and secure adequate landing beaches and ports areas that will facilitate the landing of follow on forces for further operations against the enemy.
- Immediately move to capture the capital city of Cellifopolis in order to effect regime change and locate WMD research facilities believed to be in the city.
- Destroy Cellfonian forces that threaten the accomplishment of the operation.
- Liberate the US Ambassador.
- Conduct the campaign in a manner consistent with the laws of war to include the limitation, in as much as possible, of damage and destruction to the civilian population and infrastructure.
Oh, and for the record yes, orders usually do sound like this 4. Ground Units Available
- 1 Navy Seal Team
- 1 Delta Force Team
- 1 Special Forces A-Team
- 1 Marine Corps Brigade(3 battalions)
- 1 Airborne Brigade (3 battalions)
- 1 Air-Assault Battalion
- 1 Ranger Battalion
- 1 Armored Brigade (2 Bns)
- 1 U.S. Mechanized Infantry Bde (2 Bns)
- 1 British Territorial Mech Inf Bde (2 Bns)
- 1 Light Infantry Battalion
- Currently in a staging area 200 miles away
- 1 Stryker Battalion (motorized)
Delta l lRNGR ll Br SEAL l lll Br ll ll ll ll ll ll 5. Naval and Air Units Available (will not be shown on map)
- 1 British Aircraft Battle Group with a Tactical Fighter/Bomber Squadron(can destroy / damage 3 specific targets not including units)
- 1 flight of B52 bombers (4 planes)
- 1 U.S. Attack Submarine
- US Naval Amphibious and transport shipping containing equipment and personnel of the USMC and Army units.
6. Principles of War to Use in the Mission 7. Concepts from Sun Tzu to Use 8. Oil platform bridge bridge bridge bridge Cellifopolis Airport bridge bridge bridge Ambassador held hostage Missile Battery 3 X Cellfonian fleet (2 destroyers 1 Cruiser) bridge Friendly Guerrilla Territory 01020Port 1 XX 32 XX ll l 9. Moon Phases for Oct Oct 2007 Nov 2010 Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 10. Weather Forecast Day Forecast Description Precip chance Saturday Nov 01T-stormsHi:91Lo:72 Day: Chance of thunder with light rain showers. humidity 50%. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Night: Clear skies. Low 72F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. 30% 20% Sunday Nov 02 T-stormsHi:92Lo:72 Day: Slight chance of thunder with light rain showers. humidity 50%. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Night: Clear skies. Low 72F. Winds light. 20% 20% Monday Nov 03 T-stormsHi: 91 Lo:69 Chance of thunder with moderate rain showers. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. 40% Tuesday Nov 04 T-stormsHi:86Lo:66 Slight chance of thunder with light rain showers. High 86F and low 66F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph. 20% Wednesday Nov 05 ClearHi:86Lo:64 Sunny skies. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. 10% Thursday Nov 06 ClearHi:86Lo:63 Sunny skies.Low humidity Night: Clear skies. Low 72F. Winds light. 10% Friday Nov 07 ClearHi:84Lo:66 Sunny skies. Low humidity Night: Clear skies. Low 72F. Winds light. 5% Saturday Nov 08 Clear Hi:84Lo:62 Sunny skies. Night: clear clouding up in early morning 5% Sunday Nov 09 AM Rain Hi:81Lo:60 Drizzle. High 81F and low 60F.Night: Possible T-storms 25% Monday Nov 10 ClearHi:81Lo:62 Sunny skies. High 81F and low 62F. 25% 11. Advanced Good Acceptable Below Adequate Failure to Demonstrate Understanding Use of Units Demonstrates understanding of types of units and their missions. Addresses historical examples and explains purpose of use in this mission. Utilizes all information available to determine the correct use of units for each mission Demonstrates understanding of units and missions and addresses their purpose and use in this mission Demonstrates understanding of types of units and their missions Demonstrates some understanding of units and missions, but does not adequately explain their purpose in this mission Does not demonstrate understanding of units and missions 201918 1716 151413 12-0 Sun Tzu Demonstrates a thourough understanding of concepts illustrated by Sun Tzu thoughtfully states numerous instances in which they pertain to the current plan. Utilized all assets and information available to develop a cohesive plan that will be difficult if not impossible to defeat. Demonstrates good understanding of concepts illustrated by Sun Tzu thoughtfully states some instances in which they pertain to the current plan. Demonstrates some understanding of concepts illustrated by Sun Tzu andstates some instances in which they pertain to the current plan though can be more fully developed Demonstrates some understanding of concepts illustrated by Sun Tzu but can not explain how they pertain to the current plan. Demonstrates little to no understanding of the basic concepts of warfare. 201918 1716 151413 12-0 Principles of War Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the principles of war.Utilizes and explains each of the principles of war and how they are incorporated into the plan. Demonstrates a thourough understanding of the principles of war.Utilizes and explains most of the principles of war and how they are incoporated into the plan. Demonstrates an understanding of the principles of war.Utilizes and explains some of the principles of war and how they are incoporated into the plan. Demonstrates some understanding of the principles of war but does not utilize and or explain how the principles of war and how they are incoporated into the plan. Does not demonstrate an understanding of the principles of war or does not utilize and or explain how the principles of war and how they are incoporated into the plan. 201918 1716 151413 12-0 Neatness Demonstrates attention to detail and care for work.Shows high quality/ effort and time spent in the creation of the plan.Utilizes formal writing style. Excellent grammar and spelling. Demonstrates care and effort.Work is generally neat. Utilized formal writing.A few errors in grammar or spelling.Work can be neater.Work could demonstrate more effort or time. Some errors in formal writing style, grammar or spelling.Work is rather sloppy.Numerous errors in grammar, spelling. Graphics are sloppy.Work is unreadable or indecipherable. Graphics are indecipherable.Does not show time or effort. 201918 1716 151413 12-0 Blog Contributes numerous well thought out items to the blog.Demonstrates a helpful attitude towards fellow students to help them understand concepts of the mission. Brings good debate and ideas to the table.Writes in clear, concise and grammatically correct text. Contributeswell thought out items to the blog.Brings good debate and ideas to the table. Writes in clear, concise and grammatically correct text. Contributes to the blog.Writes in grammatically correct text.Contributes to the blog.Grammar and / or style of writing needs to be improved.Does not contribute to the blog or does so in an unacceptable form. Shows disrespect to others.Grammar and / or style of writing needs to be improved. 109 8 7 6 5