kellett dragon sep t09

Kellett Dragon Kellett Dragon Kellett Dragon Kellett Dragon September 2009 A love of learning and confidence for life A love of learning and confidence for life A love of learning and confidence for life A love of learning and confidence for life A message from our Principal A message from our Principal A message from our Principal A message from our Principal Principal Principal Principal Principal Primary Primary Primary Primary - Deputy Principal Deputy Principal Deputy Principal Deputy Principal Secondary Secondary Secondary Secondary - Deputy Principal Deputy Principal Deputy Principal Deputy Principal Nurse Nurse Nurse Nurse Music Music Music Music P.E. P.E. P.E. P.E. ICT ICT ICT ICT Global Citizenship Global Citizenship Global Citizenship Global Citizenship Science Science Science Science Chinese Studies Chinese Studies Chinese Studies Chinese Studies Art Art Art Art French French French French Parent / Teacher Consultations Parent / Teacher Consultations Parent / Teacher Consultations Parent / Teacher Consultations Living With Landmines Living With Landmines Living With Landmines Living With Landmines Library Library Library Library Monthly Memories Monthly Memories Monthly Memories Monthly Memories Ann Mc Donald Ann Mc Donald Ann Mc Donald Ann Mc Donald Welcome to the 2009/10 academic year and the first edition of this year’s Dragon. A frenetic summer preparing the Shau Kei Wan (SKW) site has been followed by a very calm and purposeful beginning to the term at both school campuses. Our reception children have settled admirably and throughout the school our older students are equally settled, hard at work and looking forward to the busy year ahead. We were delighted to welcome so many parents and friends to the Shau Kei Wan (secondary) campus Open Evening on 11 September. Thank you all for your very positive comments and feed back. On 8 October we are welcoming representatives from the relocation agencies and HR representatives from a number of Hong Kong’s leading companies. On Saturday 31 October, 11.30 AM - 3.00PM we are holding an Open Day for the parents of Primary 5 and 6 students and on 18 November there is the opportunity to visit the school in action. Both the 31 October and 18 November are for pre-registered visitors only. Further details may be found on the website. We will also be placing advertisements in the SCMP and a number of Hong Kong’s community magazines to spread the word about our new campus and the Kowloon Bay site. A new school website is to be launched shortly. The new site has a crisp new look and reflects our growing school. Next year we will launch our Virtual learning Environment (VLE) which will provide an excellent platform to support student learning and communication. Both are exciting ventures and reflect our commitment to 21 st Century learning. Unfortunately our endeavours to appoint a permanent Librarian to be based on the primary campus have not been fruitful. We have conducted two Hong Kong recruitment rounds and have been unable to appoint. Consequently we have decided to offer the post internationally. I am hopeful that we will fill the vacancy for January. In the meantime I am delighted that Emma Santler has agreed to remain until the end of this term. Finally may I remind you that the Board is hosting an evening on 29 October 7.30pm at the Pokfulam Campus to outline moving forward on the Kowloon Bay site. Further details will follow shortly, please put this important date in your diary.

Upload: clive-dawes

Post on 23-Mar-2016

Category:

Documents

1 download

DESCRIPTION

Trial web version

TRANSCRIPT

Page 1: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Kellett DragonKellett DragonKellett DragonKellett Dragon

September 2009

A love of learning and confidence for lifeA love of learning and confidence for lifeA love of learning and confidence for lifeA love of learning and confidence for life

A message from our PrincipalA message from our PrincipalA message from our PrincipalA message from our Principal

PrincipalPrincipalPrincipalPrincipal

Primary Primary Primary Primary ---- Deputy Principal Deputy Principal Deputy Principal Deputy Principal

Secondary Secondary Secondary Secondary ---- Deputy Principal Deputy Principal Deputy Principal Deputy Principal

NurseNurseNurseNurse

MusicMusicMusicMusic

P.E.P.E.P.E.P.E.

ICTICTICTICT

Global CitizenshipGlobal CitizenshipGlobal CitizenshipGlobal Citizenship

ScienceScienceScienceScience

Chinese StudiesChinese StudiesChinese StudiesChinese Studies

ArtArtArtArt

FrenchFrenchFrenchFrench

Parent / Teacher ConsultationsParent / Teacher ConsultationsParent / Teacher ConsultationsParent / Teacher Consultations

Living With LandminesLiving With LandminesLiving With LandminesLiving With Landmines

LibraryLibraryLibraryLibrary

Monthly MemoriesMonthly MemoriesMonthly MemoriesMonthly Memories

Ann Mc DonaldAnn Mc DonaldAnn Mc DonaldAnn Mc Donald

Welcome to the 2009/10 academic year and the first edition of this year’s Dragon. A frenetic summer preparing the Shau Kei Wan (SKW) site has been followed by a very calm and purposeful beginning to the term at both school campuses. Our reception children have settled admirably and throughout the school our older students are equally settled, hard at work and looking forward to the busy year ahead.

We were delighted to welcome so many parents and friends to

the Shau Kei Wan (secondary) campus Open Evening on 11 September. Thank you all for your very positive comments and feed back. On 8 October we are welcoming representatives from the relocation agencies and HR representatives from a number of Hong Kong’s leading companies. On Saturday 31 October, 11.30 AM - 3.00PM we are holding an Open Day for the parents of Primary 5 and 6 students and on 18 November there is the opportunity to visit the school in action. Both the 31 October and 18 November are for pre-registered visitors only. Further details may be found on the website. We will also be placing advertisements in the SCMP and a number of Hong Kong’s community magazines to spread the word about our new campus and the Kowloon Bay site. A new school website is to be launched shortly. The new site has a crisp new look and reflects our growing school. Next year we will launch our Virtual learning Environment (VLE) which will provide an excellent platform to support student learning and communication. Both are exciting ventures and reflect our commitment to 21st Century learning. Unfortunately our endeavours to appoint a permanent Librarian to be based on the primary campus have not been fruitful. We have conducted two Hong Kong recruitment rounds and have been unable to appoint. Consequently we have decided to offer the post internationally. I am hopeful that we will fill the vacancy for January. In the meantime I am delighted that Emma Santler has agreed to remain until the end of this term. Finally may I remind you that the Board is hosting an evening on 29 October 7.30pm at the Pokfulam Campus to outline moving forward on the Kowloon Bay site. Further details will follow shortly, please put this important date in your diary.

Page 2: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

A love of learning and confidence for lifeA love of learning and confidence for lifeA love of learning and confidence for lifeA love of learning and confidence for life

Primary

A love of learning and confidence for life

Deputy PrincipalDeputy PrincipalDeputy PrincipalDeputy Principal

Ciaran HarringtonCiaran HarringtonCiaran HarringtonCiaran Harrington

Welcome back to school after what has been a very long summer break. It has been wonderful to see so many parents at the Coffee meetings and also at the Reception Curriculum evening. A very special welcome to all the new families who have joined us this summer. The summer break has been a very busy time at Kellett with the new Secondary Campus opening at Shau Kei Wan. The Year 7 and 8 students have now moved to their fantastic new premises which leaves the Primary children and staff with sole occupancy of the Pokfulam campus. The curriculum developments across the whole school this year will be very much focused on Information and Communication Technology or ICT. Our Website and Virtual Leaning Environment (VLE) manager Terri Li has been developing our new website in recent months and will soon be moving to the development and launch of the school VLE. The VLE is intended to support children’s learning through the use of technology as we move further into the 21st Century. Children today are using mobile telephones, handheld game consoles and laptops on the move in addition to other technology at home. They are increasingly collaborating with each other using Web 2.0 technologies. The VLE will help our learners to use these skills in our diverse and globalised world to become 21st century citizens in a safe and controlled environment. Staff and children will also be moving towards ISTE technology standards to achieve this. The standards promote digital learning, creativity, citizenship and responsibility. Our Primary colleagues Clive Dawes, Emma Adams, Katie Hitchcox and Katrina Hall along with Terri attended the 21st Century Learning conference held here in Hong Kong and presented some of the 21st Century Learning that has been going on here at Kellett School to other teachers and educators. Performance assemblies began this month with the Primary 6 team and will be followed by the Primary 5 team before the Pantomime and Christmas productions begin. Parents from the class performing are invited to come to their child’s assembly on the Friday. Performances begin at 10.50am in the auditorium with refreshments available in the library study room beforehand.

Page 3: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

In addition to the Friday performances we have Wednesday assemblies which alternate between Principal’s Awards and an assembly around a social, safety or current affairs topic. The children have already had their welcome “New Beginnings” assembly where new children from Primary 1 to 6 received their very own Kellett Dragon. During the next month the themes are “Heroes and Heroines” and “Getting On and Falling Out”. Last year’s monthly “talk topic” proved to be very popular, especially where families could talk together about the same subject matter. Talk topics support our “Big Writing” session. The idea of Big Writing is that if the children can’t say it, they can’t write it. We need to encourage the development of language and listening skills in order to develop children’s writing ability. Talk topics at home is an approach that promotes the development of such conversations. Big Writing author Ros Wilson encourages getting as many family members as possible talking about the same topic. Some of her top tips for talk are:

• Encourage as many family members as possible to be involved in Talk Homework,

possibly around the meal table! • Switch off the T.V.! Try to ensure this is dedicated talking and listening time. • When giving your opinion, use the ‘because’ word to explain why you think that. • Give the possible opinions of two contrasting family members who are not present for the

talk, and use the ‘because’ word to explain why they may be different. • Ask others around the table to give their opinions and to use the ‘because’ word. • Ask your child his / her opinion and ask them to use the ‘because’ word. • Link the topic you are given to refer back to something you remember from when you were

a child and say why things may be different now. Project forward to how things may be different in the future.

Our talk topic for the coming month is “World Festivals”. October sees a number of festivals and celebrations from Jewish, Christian and Hindu cultures in addition to the Chinese Mid Autumn and Chung Yeung festivals and of course Halloween.

Page 4: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

P R O V I D I N G C H A L L E N G E , O F F E R I N G O P P O R T U N I T Y A N D G I V I N G R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y

Secondary

PROVIDING CHALLENGE, OFFERING OPPORTUNITY AND GIVING RESPONSIBILITY

Deputy PrincipalDeputy PrincipalDeputy PrincipalDeputy Principal

Simon GiddingsSimon GiddingsSimon GiddingsSimon Giddings

I was delighted to be able to welcome the secondary students to the new Shau Kei Wan campus on the first day of term. The huge effort to get the campus ready for them in time was all made worth while when they walked into school with a look of delight and amazement on their faces.

Page 5: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Since that first day, the students have settled in, they now know their way around the campus and are enjoying sharing the campus with the Elsa students. Already the Year 7 students have been on an induction day at Treasure Island on Lantau and Year 8 students to the Ngong Ping Monastery. ECAs have started with netball, football, basketball, music ensemble, choir, rowing, sport climbing, fitness training, F1 in schools, common entrance exam preparation and Battle of the Books up and running. Our secondary coffee morning was well attended, as was the campus open evening. Our next public event is for Primary 5 and Primary 6 parents and students. On Saturday 31st October after Saturday soccer, the secondary students will share with primary students and parents what it is like to be a secondary student at Kellett. They will open their classrooms and demonstrate what their lessons are like. The event will give primary students and parents a clear idea of what life is like for our students in the secondary section and how we provide the students with challenge, offer them opportunity and give them responsibility. I look forward to seeing many of you there.

P R O V I D I N G C H A L L E N G E , O F F E R I N G O P P O R T U N I T Y A N D G I V I N G R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y

Page 6: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Thank you to the reception parents who have volunteered to help with the vision, hearing and speech and language screenings. Every Thursday I will be working at Shau Kei Wan campus as the School Counsellor. On these days Sarah Aglionby will be working as the nurse at the Pokfulam campus. Please feel free to ring, email or come and see me if you have any concerns regarding your child’s health.

Nurse’s Report Nurse’s Report Nurse’s Report Nurse’s Report ---- Justin McLaughlin Justin McLaughlin Justin McLaughlin Justin McLaughlin

Page 7: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

ChoirsChoirsChoirsChoirs Ms Ho, Ms Hughes and myself have been very pleased with the efforts and diligence the children have shown in their first two choir rehearsals. It is still possible to join a choir in the next two weeks. The next opportunity to join our choral programme will be in January. Cantata EveningCantata EveningCantata EveningCantata Evening All three choirs will be performing at our Cantata Evening on Tuesday 10th November. Carols by CandlelightCarols by CandlelightCarols by CandlelightCarols by Candlelight The Music Department will be hosting our second Carols by Candlelight on Wednesday 16th December. Folders & MusicFolders & MusicFolders & MusicFolders & Music As children are beginning to work on repertoire for performances, they will receive music in a folder. These folders and music are the property of Kellett School and should be carefully looked after. They should travel to and from school in the book bag. Children have been told that they (not their parents!) will be responsible for replacing any damaged music or folders. Names on the choir folders appear inside the folder. Please do not name your child’s folder in any other way. These books are used each year for different children. Instrumental LessonsInstrumental LessonsInstrumental LessonsInstrumental Lessons It has been fantastic to see so much interest in learning an instrument at school. There have been a couple of problems with scheduling lessons, but all is coming together. You should know your tutor’s phone number. It is the parent’s responsibility to inform the tutor if your child is unwell and not able to make the lesson. Please do not call the Reception Office Please do not call the Reception Office Please do not call the Reception Office Please do not call the Reception Office to ask them to deliver the message to the tutor. to ask them to deliver the message to the tutor. to ask them to deliver the message to the tutor. to ask them to deliver the message to the tutor. Similarly, tutors will contact you directly should they be unwell and not able to deliver the lesson. There are limited places remaining for lesson tuition in the current schedule. Should enough interest be declared, it may be possible to “open” another day for lessons. Please understand that tutors normally only will come for a minimum of four students which means that some lessons will not start until 4.20pm

Music Report Music Report Music Report Music Report ---- Lucas Cox Lucas Cox Lucas Cox Lucas Cox

Page 8: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Welcome back to a new sporting year at Kellett. We are gearing up for an exciting year in the PE department and on the sports field. Our extra-curricular programme has begun and I am grateful to all the Kellett staff that are helping to run and organise sporting activities this term. Please note that in the event of a cancellation due to inclement weather the SMS system will be put into place and children should go home by the normal route. Please remind whoever is collecting your child from an after-school activity to arrive before the end of the activity in the correct place! Please call the school office if you are running late so they can inform the member of staff involved. This term the focus for ECA sports is netball and football. There are a variety of tournaments that Kellett will be participating in. Details of these are in the parent handbook. Please remember that selection for teams is a rigorous and fair procedure. Where possible we will provide as many opportunities for children to participate competitively. Children will be told by the teachers organising the clubs what the expectations are for selection at the beginning of the term. We hope that we will have success and we can retain many of the titles that we won last season! Saturday Soccer started on Saturday 19th September at Stanley Ho. Thanks again to all those involved in the organising and coaching of these sessions. The children thoroughly enjoy a run around on Saturdays mornings with their friends.

PE Report PE Report PE Report PE Report ---- Fiona Pratt Fiona Pratt Fiona Pratt Fiona Pratt

Primary Sports DayPrimary Sports DayPrimary Sports DayPrimary Sports Day Thursday 12Thursday 12Thursday 12Thursday 12thththth November 2009 November 2009 November 2009 November 2009

Reception, Primary 1 & 2 - Morning Primary 3 – Primary 6 - Afternoon

Exact times to be confirmed

Page 9: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

I would like to take the opportunity to welcome Freeman Li to the ICT Department at Kellett. Freeman joins us after working in the USA and it’s been a whirlwind start for him having spent most of his time so far on the Secondary Campus. It’s a good indication of his commitment that he was working away on our network the day after he got married in August! Last term seems an age ago, but thank you for all your support in keeping the pupils going with the online learning activities during school closure. Staff worked very hard to achieve a balance of activities, knowing that many of our students find consistent access to a computer impossible during these periods. It was also pleasing that around 20 members of staff were able to attend a lecture given by Dr Daniel Churchill (pictured) at Hong Kong University whilst Kellett was closed. Daniel’s lecture concerned the new literacies which our young people are required to learn and made the telling point that literacy now encompasses so much more than reading, writing, speaking and listening. It was an excellent professional development opportunity and another example of how our staff have benefitted from working with a nearby world class university. A key development within the curriculum during the past two years has been the implementation of games based learning modules, particularly in the area of Literacy. Students in P1, 5 & 6 have recently undertaken units involving computer games and with the help of Literacy Leader Miss Hitchcox, we will be ensuring that each year group has experience of this engaging, culturally relevant media in the coming year. We are also looking to extend our provision in this area by carrying out some small-scale research in the areas of Learning Support and Numeracy. To develop our ideas, we intend to use Nintendo DS gaming consoles. We hope to put together a pack of these units to work with small groups of students. If you have recently upgraded from your DS console to a DSi and now have little use for your older model, we would love to take them off your hands and give them a new, loving home! As you may know, the BBC in the UK have recently begun a massive, nationwide experiment in “Brain Training”, which we are also following keenly. As always, more information is available on our blog, www.kellettschool.blogspot.com or via our Twitter feed; www.twitter.com/kellettict.

ICT Report ICT Report ICT Report ICT Report ---- Clive Dawes Clive Dawes Clive Dawes Clive Dawes

Page 10: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Miss Everett and Ms Murray led Year 8 on their visit to Ngong Ping and Po Lin on Tuesday 1st September as part of their Global Citizenship Buddhism module. Here they enjoyed the challenge of deciphering Buddhist imagery. Wisdom PathWisdom PathWisdom PathWisdom Path

Did you know? That Wisdom Path is in a figure of eight, symbolising infinity? That it displays an ancient text, called Heart Sutra which is sacred to Buddhists, Taoists and Confucians? hat the highest post is void of scripture to represent emptiness — a

central theme to the text? The Big BuddhaThe Big BuddhaThe Big BuddhaThe Big Buddha Did you know? That elongated ears represent The Buddha listening to the needs of the world. A raised hand represents fearlessness and teaching (Dharma). Short curly hair represents the moment when Siddhartha cut off his hair and turned his back on his life of luxury. An educational and enjoyable day was had by all.

Global Citizenship Global Citizenship Global Citizenship Global Citizenship ---- Elizabeth Everett Elizabeth Everett Elizabeth Everett Elizabeth Everett

Page 11: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

There are a few new and wonderful happenings this term.

We have a new Primary Science Laboratory Technician – Mr Jason Ho. Mr Ho will be helping

the teachers of Primary 3 – 6 during their visits to the science lab and with enrichment of the

science curriculum. His position is due to Ms Tang moving with the secondary school to the

new site in Shau Kei Wan.

Also in a new position but not new to the school we have Mrs Ann-Marie Nevin taking on the

after school P6 science club. Thank you Mrs Nevin.

The new Science lab at the Secondary Campus is looking good. The students are happy with

the new laboratory and the Yr 7 classes are ready to show their skills and earn their Bunsen

Burner Licences. Wish them luck (and no fire alarms!)

Science Report Science Report Science Report Science Report ---- Sherrie Murray Sherrie Murray Sherrie Murray Sherrie Murray

Page 12: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Nihao! Welcome back to another exciting year of learning. We would like to extend our warm welcome to our new Chinese teacher, Ms. Du Jing Jing, joining the Chinese team. This year marks the third year of the new 6-year cycle Chinese programme at Kellett School. For those newly joined, Chinese is taught as a modern foreign language based on the National Curriculum. The language is taught through a spiral, sequential and communicative approach with clear learning outcomes for each of the 4 macro-skills, namely, listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. The frequency and duration of Chinese lesson for each year group is as shown below:

The table below shows the topics that we will be covering this year. Most topics will be revisited and extended language with more complex sentence structures and vocabulary will be added on for each following year.

Chinese Studies Report Chinese Studies Report Chinese Studies Report Chinese Studies Report ---- David Wu David Wu David Wu David Wu

Year GroupYear GroupYear GroupYear Group Frequency and duration of lessonFrequency and duration of lessonFrequency and duration of lessonFrequency and duration of lesson

Reception, P1, P2 3 x 30 minutes

P3, P4, P5, P6 3 x 45 minutes

Y7, Y8 3 x 60 minutes

2009200920092009----2010201020102010 Year GroupYear GroupYear GroupYear Group

Term 1Term 1Term 1Term 1 Term 2Term 2Term 2Term 2 Term 3Term 3Term 3Term 3

ReceptionReceptionReceptionReception

Greetings (R) Number (R) About me (R) Family (R)

CNY Activities Colours (R) Body (R) Food (R)

Drinks (R) Pets & Animals (R)

P1P1P1P1

Greetings (1) Basic Stroke Order (1) Number (1) About me (1) Family (1)

CNY Activities Colours (1) Body (1)

Food (1) Drinks (1) Pets & Animals (1)

Expectations: Students are expected to learn all the listening, speaking, reading and writing outcomes as detailed in each topic booklet. Once the booklet is completed, students are encouraged to take them home to do revision and file for future reference. Listening and speaking skills will be emphasised.

P2P2P2P2

Greetings (2) Basic Stroke Order (1) Number (2) About me (2) Family (2)

CNY Activities Colours (2) Body (2)

Food (2) Drinks (2) Pets & Animals (2)

Expectations: Students are expected to learn all the listening, speaking, reading and writing outcomes as detailed in each topic booklet. Once the booklet is completed, students are encouraged to take them home to do revision and file for future reference. Listening and speaking skills will be emphasised.

Page 13: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

2009200920092009----2010201020102010 Year GroupYear GroupYear GroupYear Group

Term 1Term 1Term 1Term 1 Term 2Term 2Term 2Term 2 Term 3Term 3Term 3Term 3

P3P3P3P3

Greetings (3) Basic Stroke Order (1) Radical Number (3) About me (3) Family (3)

CNY Activities Colours (3) Pinyin (1) Body (3)

Food (2) Drinks (2) Pets & Animals (3)

Expectations: Students have to bring in their Chinese Studies folders and topical activity booklets to every Chinese lesson. They are welcome to take the folders or booklets home to do homework and revise. Students are expected to learn all the listening, speaking, reading and writing outcomes as detailed in each topic booklet.

P4P4P4P4

About me 1-4 Stroke Order (2) Radical Date & Days of the week Time Daily Routine

CNY Activities Dictionary Skills Pinyin (2) Countries & Nationalities

Food (3) Drinks (3) Pets & Animals (3)

Expectations: Students have to bring in their Chinese Studies folders and topical activity booklets to every Chinese lesson. They are expected to complete each topic activity booklet in class and as homework within a set time frame. Students are expected to learn all the listening, speaking, reading and writing outcomes as detailed in each topic booklet.

P5P5P5P5

About me 1-4 Stroke Order (2) Radical Date & Days of the week Time Daily Routine

Expectations: Students have to bring in their Chinese Studies folders and topical activity booklets to every Chinese lesson. They are expected to complete each topic activity booklet in class and as homework within a set time frame. Students are expected to learn all the listening, speaking, reading and writing outcomes as detailed in each topic booklet.

P6P6P6P6

Expectations: Students have to bring in their Chinese Studies folders and topic activity booklets to every Chinese lesson. They are expected to complete each topic activity booklet in class and as homework within a set time frame. Students are expected to learn all the listening, speaking, reading and writing outcomes as detailed in each topic booklet.

Page 14: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Students new to Chinese language will be assisted to catch up on some basic language before joining their peers. They are most welcome to see any of the Chinese staff for additional help in their spare time. The language programme is tailor-made for Kellett School students. They are theme based and outcome driven. Each topic’s language is written in the activity booklet and it is expected that the student will complete each booklet within 3-4 weeks as class activities and/or homework. For Secondary Chinese, we have 2 classes for each year group. The high teacher:student ratio allows effective teaching and better monitoring of students’ progress. Secondary students will be given their course notes and expectations. Text books (Chinese Made easy 1 & 2, simplified character version) and workbooks with specific learning outcomes covering GCSE topic areas will be taught and assessed. In Kellett School, we use simplified characters and hanyu pinyin is introduced to enhanced learning. Games, role-play, songs, rhymes, arts and crafts, cultural talks, flashcards, activity booklets, worksheets, interactive white board, power points, ICT and other related activities are employed in teaching to make it fun and to suit different learning styles through multi-sensory approach. This November the Art department is hosting our bi-annual Artist in Residence. We have an exciting and challenging Art and ICT project based on self portraiture. Our visiting artist Tom Wood is a prominent portrait artist in England and has worked in schools in the U.K and Hong Kong. He's very much looking forward to returning to Hong Kong again. Children from Primary 1 to Primary 6 will have the opportunity to work with Mr. Wood. We will be keeping you posted with the event as it progresses.

Self Portrait Photo, 2009 Self Portrait, 1990 We are delighted to have so many children sign up for Hobby Club and the new KS 2 Art Club. I have always found these clubs have a very beneficial affect on children's achievement in the art lessons due to greater confidence. You'll be pleased to hear there are still places available for Hobby Club for the second term. Application for these can be made at the end of this term when the extra curricular letter goes home.

Art Report Art Report Art Report Art Report ---- Kathy Ponter Kathy Ponter Kathy Ponter Kathy Ponter

Page 15: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

We are very happy to welcome our new Primary 3 students who have already learnt many words in French on different topics (greetings, how to say their names when asked, class instructions, how to count up to 10, school items) and are working hard on their pronunciation, especially the sound [R]. They enjoy the reading and exercises books we are using in class and have already met their new friend, “La gentille sorcière Grenadine”.

We would also like to welcome Primary 4 students who have discovered the Method “Alex et Zoé 1”. Its different characters are inspired by the very famous heroes of Charles Perrault, the French writer who put in written words the olden days’ oral fairy tales: Little Red Riding Hood (Le petit Chaperon rouge), Puss in Boots (Le chat botté), Hop o’my thumb (Le petit Poucet) and the ogre. “Alex et Zoé 2” refers to the well known French poet Jean de Lafontaine who has written hundreds of fables in the 17th Century. It is a good way for the children to discover a part of French literature.

French Report French Report French Report French Report ---- Anne Anne Anne Anne----Rozenn L'HevederRozenn L'HevederRozenn L'HevederRozenn L'Heveder

Page 16: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Primary 5 are now working on the body parts (Book 1) and will soon learn about the different rooms in the house, farm’s animals and transportations in Paris. Primary 6 are learning how to order French food in a Café (Book 2) and will talk about the things they prefer. Primary pupils work in the Language Laboratory once a week on different websites designed for children learning French as a second language. Links to these websites can be found on the French Webpage on the school website. Parents will regularly see their Exercise books and can appreciate the progress they have made, or even ask to hear some French words! Homework is given on Wednesday and has to be returned by Monday. Secondary students, Year 7 and Year 8 had a great start in our new Shau Kei Wan campus. They work on the French method “Le kiosque” conceived for teenagers.

The Parent/Teacher consultations for this term are scheduled for the following dates and times:

Tuesday, 13 OctoberTuesday, 13 OctoberTuesday, 13 OctoberTuesday, 13 October 4.00 pm 4.00 pm 4.00 pm 4.00 pm –––– 7.00 pm 7.00 pm 7.00 pm 7.00 pm Thursday, 15 October Thursday, 15 October Thursday, 15 October Thursday, 15 October 4.00 pm 4.00 pm 4.00 pm 4.00 pm –––– 7.00 pm 7.00 pm 7.00 pm 7.00 pm

These consultations provide an ideal opportunity to meet with your child’s class teacher to discuss their progress and are scheduled to last for 15 minutes. To make your appointment(s), please call the Reception Office as from Friday 9Friday 9Friday 9Friday 9 October 2009October 2009October 2009October 2009. Appointments are made on a first come, first served basis. Parents with three or more children may call on Tuesday 6 October 2009.Parents with three or more children may call on Tuesday 6 October 2009.Parents with three or more children may call on Tuesday 6 October 2009.Parents with three or more children may call on Tuesday 6 October 2009. Specialist teacher appointments will be available in the Spring term. As you are aware, there is no car parking available in school, although the car park next to the school is open, and public transport links are excellent. Access to the school will be via the front door on Shek Pai Wan Road.

Parent / Teacher ConsultationsParent / Teacher ConsultationsParent / Teacher ConsultationsParent / Teacher Consultations

Page 17: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Living With LandminesLiving With LandminesLiving With LandminesLiving With Landmines

Page 18: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Firstly thank you all for returning all those books borrowed over the summer. It is very pleasing to see so many reading over the holidays and keen to borrow more on their return.

PRIMARYPRIMARYPRIMARYPRIMARY Library sessions There are two new faces in the library; myself, and Mrs Santler. The children will have one library session each week with us – please help your child remember to bring in their library bag and books on the correct day each week. Visit the Kellett School website to check on which day your child visits the library. http://www.kellettschool.com/Library/Library.htm As yet no class has been awarded a certificate for returning all their books so let’s see which class is first! Battle of the Books The number of children wishing to take part in the Battle of the Books has been fantastic – partly due I am sure to the desire to retain the title of Champion 2008-2009. Many have been reading eagerly over the summer. The list of BOB books can be found on the Kellett website if any parents wish to read them in tandem with their children.

SECONDARYSECONDARYSECONDARYSECONDARY The library in the Shau Kei Wan site is looking great. The shelves are being stocked with new titles, and the students are making recommendations themselves on what they would like to see in their library. The Battle of the Books for Middle School has also started, and those 4 students who were in the winning Primary team last year are intent on gaining the title of Middle School champions as well. The list of the titles for Middle School can be found on the Kellett website.

If you have any questions about the library please email me at [email protected].

Library Report Library Report Library Report Library Report ---- Lisa Share Lisa Share Lisa Share Lisa Share

Page 19: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Presentation Assembly 2009

Monthly MemoriesMonthly MemoriesMonthly MemoriesMonthly Memories

Page 20: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Page 21: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Page 22: Kellett Dragon Sep t09
Page 23: Kellett Dragon Sep t09
Page 24: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

STOP PRESS!

The results are in from

Wine Spectator…

Castello Banfi, Tuscany

Brunello di Montalcino 2004 93 pts

Castello Banfi “Poggio All Oro” 1999 96pts

ALL WINES AT SPECIAL

20% DISCOUNT FOR KELLETT SCHOOL PARENTS

PRE SUMMER SALE!

Limited stock available!

Stopbanks Sauv Blanc 08, NZ $80 Hugh Hamilton Verdelho 06, Aust. $105 Indomita Sauv Blanc 08, Chile $48 Tin Shed Rose 07, Aust . $85 Little Revel Chardonnay 06, Aust. $95 Tin Shed Melting Pot Shiraz 06, Aust. $105 Old Plains Grenache 07, Aust. $120 Cardinham Cab Merlot 04, Aust . $95 Old Plains Power of One Shiraz 05, Aust. $155

Prices valid on mixed cases of 12 with free delivery to your door!

t. 3679 3200/3300 e. [email protected] w. www.efw.com.hk

Raven’s International

TOO BUSY TO SHOP!!!

Don’t Know What Suits You?

Let us help you in the very own comfort of your office or home!!!

We tailor make clothes to fit you perfectly and to make you look your very best.

So be it office wear, casual or formal wear,

just let us know what you are looking for and we’ll be there at your time and at your place !!!

Call us for an appointment!

(We offer competitive prices with very good quality and good service)

Raven’s International

Attn: Mr. Deepu Daswani

1105-06 Rise Commercial Building

5-11 Granville Circuit TST

Kowloon, Hong Kong

Email: [email protected]

Tel : 2722 4443 Mobile: 9740 6463

Page 25: Kellett Dragon Sep t09
Page 26: Kellett Dragon Sep t09
Page 27: Kellett Dragon Sep t09
Page 28: Kellett Dragon Sep t09

Free information & referral service

Tel: 2815-5444 www.cab.org.hk email: [email protected]

Have a question…? We have the answer!

CAB have free ‘Settling into Hong Kong’ booklets. Call or email us for a copy today!

COMMUNITY ADVICE BUREAU Helping you settle into Hong KongHelping you settle into Hong KongHelping you settle into Hong KongHelping you settle into Hong Kong

I need a doctor/dentist in my

area...

My air conditioner isn’t working. Is this my

landlord’s responsibility?

Where can I hire a tuxedo?