kcb201 online communities
Post on 29-Oct-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONLecture delivered to KCB201 Online Communities at QUT Creative Industries on 10th April 2008
- 1. Happy Together? All the Love Together by marie-ll under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0,http://flickr.com/photos/grrrl/96473317
2. http://www.facebook.com/applications/ 3. Source: Farnham, S. (2008).The Facebook Application Ecosystem . OReilly. 4. Zeitgeist Flickr folksonomy:http://flickr.com/photos/tags/ 5. http://www.couchsurfing.com/ Couch surfing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTFOsXor0Q8 6. Couchsurfinghttp:// www.youtube.com/watch?v =_6Rrao08bC4 Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch at a Time 7.
- Hello, Is It Me Youre Looking For?
- Look for a host with similar interests.
- Read their profile to see if youre compatible.
- Try to contact newer & less busy hosts to increase your chances.
- If travelling with friends, make sure they have profiles.
- Get verified!
Slouch on the Couch by sparktography, CC BY-NC 2.0,http://flickr.com/photos/sparktography/65005867/ http:// wiki.couchsurfing.com / CouchSurfingWiki 8. Virtual Community
- Social aggregations that emerge from the Net when enough people carry on public discussions long enough, withsufficient human feeling , to form webs of personal relationships in cyberspace (Rheingold, 1994)
Togetherness by Mexicanwave, CC BY-NC-ND 2.0,http://flickr.com/photos/mexicanwave/101273198/ 9. 10. Virtual Communities
- Blogs:LiveJournal, Xanga, Blogger
- Comics:UserFriendly, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Piled Higher and Deeper
- Internet Fora:The WELL (Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link), The Meta Network
- IM:ICQ, AIM, Windows Live Messenger
- MMORPGs:WoW, EverQuest, Guild Wars
- News:Slashdot, BoingBoing, CurrentTV, Digg
- P2P:Napster, Limewire, SoulSeek, Morpheus, KaZaa
- Social Networking:MySpace, Facebook, Bebo, Orkut
- Virtual Worlds:Second Life, The Sims
- Wikis:Wikipedia, PBWiki, WikiWikiWeb
11. Communis= Common, Public, Shared
- Sense of (Virtual) Community:
- Feelings of membership;
- Feelings of influence;
- Integration and fulfilment of needs;
- Shared emotional connection.
- (McMillan & Chavis, 1986; Blanchard & Markus, 2003)
12. Commons-Based Creativity
- Yochai Benkler (2006) Commons-Based Peer Production:
- Wikipedia: free knowledge for free minds
- Flickrs collaborative efforts
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/remix explains its philosophy as follows:
- 'put simply: we are here to draw upon the freedom of the commons, the talent of our community, and the depth of our imaginations. and that is all very fun.
http:// www.krazydad.com/squaredcircle / 13. Commons-Based Creativity
- Rip, Mix, and Share
- Open APIs: Mashups
1.exhibition-ism by striatic, CC BY-SA 2.0,http://flickr.com/photos/striatic/41397778/ 2.Striatic Remixed: Exhibition-ism II by Eric Rice, CC BY-NC-ND 2.0,http://flickr.com/photos/ericrice/42035639/ 3.striatic in photoshop by zen, CC BY-NC-SA 2.0,http://flickr.com/photos/zen/116641521/ 14. A Swarm of Angels Remixing Cinema http://aswarmofangels.com/ 15. 16. Shared Space
- Verkeersbordvrij (Monderman): Removing the Rules
- What are the technical tools and social structures that inspire people to act humanely online?
- Zittrain (2008, p. 126)
- Everybody is connected to everybody else, all data that can be shared will be shared: get used to it. Eben Moglen
sharing is caring by imagesbyk2 Photography,CC BY-ND 2.0, http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagesbyk2/27263706/ 17. Why Participate?
- Social psychology has found that people join groups in general for both feelings ofaffiliationandbelongingas well as forinformationand aid ingoal achievement . (Ridings & Gefen, 2004)
- Self/other motivational framework (Hemetsberger, 2003)
- advocacy, altruism, belonging, challenge, collaboration, competency, connection, control, egoism, egotism, emotional support, empathy, equity, fairness, hedonic value, identity, information, knowledge, moral obligation, power, reciprocity, reputation, self-efficacy, self-expression, skills, social significance, wisdom
18. 19. Bonds of Trust
- Social capital :
- Robert Putnams (1995)
- Tuning In, Tuning Out:
- features of social life - networks, norms, trust - that enable participants to act together more effectively to pursue shared interests
- (2000)Bowling Alone
- innovation & sharing
http://www.gapingvoid.com/virtual%20online%20community2.jpg 20. Wikipedia Fraud
- EssJay, a Wikipedia editor understood by the site and its users to be a tenured professor of religion at a private university with expertise in canon law, was in fact a 24 year old from Kentucky called Ryan Jordan with no higher educational qualifications to speak of.
- James Doran,Times Online ,
- 6 March 2007
Wilcox,http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/pms-staff-edited-wikipedia/2007/08/23/1187462443308.html?page=2 21. Wiire Not Amused
- Yahoo!s Brand Universe portal
- Violation of Flickr/API TOS/
- CC NC licences?
- Flickr off civil disobedience
- Nintendo-endorsed? Branding?
- Stewart Butterfields response:
- Even if it is legal, that doesn't mean it should be happening. If it's something that makes people who use Flickr feel taken advantage of or exploited, it is not something that should be done.
http:// wii.yahoo.com / http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/32752/page3/ 22. Flick rsoft Microsoft: Keep Your Evil Grubby Hands Off Flickr http://www.flickr.com/groups/microsoft-keep-your-evil-grubby-hands-off-our-flickr / 23. Switching Costs
- Site Stickiness/ Barriers to Exit
- Value of social network
- Clay Shirkys social fiction on ownership of surrounds
- Platform alternatives?
http://www.smugmug.com/ http://www.ipernity.com/ vs 24. @
- Rachel Cobcroft
- Institute for Creative Industries and Innovation
- Ph.+61 7 3138 9593
- Skype felixfortytwo
- Email [email_address]
- MySpace http://www.myspace.com/felixfortytwo
- del.icio.us http://del.icio.us/felix42