what does it mean to believe?
Post on 15-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONWhat does it mean to believe? Is it more than just blind faith? This is what we'll explore in edexcel unit 3.1
- 1. What is it to believe... ... Is it more than blind-faith?
- I believe in a benevolent God
- I believe suffering has its purpose
- I believe that RE is great
- ..What does itmeanto say
- I believe?
3. Do we have to see to believe?
- On the next few slides, look at the optical illusions...
4. 5. 6. 7. 8. Chances are...
- Some people in the room didnt see both pictures
- So now the question is posed just because we cant see something; does it mean its not there?
- I believe the sun should never set upon an argument
- I believe we place our happiness in other peoples hands
- I believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do
- I believe you cant control or choose your sexuality
- Listen to Affirmation, and decide why Darren Hayes might be saying the lyrics he is...
10. Justifying beliefs:
- When you make a statement about something you believe, you should always be prepared to give your justification
- Write down 9 of your beliefs, in order of importance (from top to bottom) on the Diamond Nine sheet these beliefs must have justification at the ready!
11. Moral Issues: 12.
- A 70 year old man, dying of extremely pain inflicting cancer should he be allowed euthanasia?
- A single, unemployed woman with 7 children, who falls pregnant should she be allowed an abortion?
- AIDs ridden Africashould artificial contraception be allowed?
15. With the statements on the Previous Slides...
- In GCSE RE, you will form an opinion on these matters
- What will you have to do to have a justified opinion?
16. The Formula...Issues youre told about...Thinking process... Forming your own beliefs...Listening to others... New, reshaped ideas... Learning more! 17. Now using your statements from the Diamond Nine Sheet...
- Use the formula and discuss it with the person next to you