uxpa creativity workshop peter otto 1
out of 16
Post on 01-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. A technique for rapid idea generation! ! ! ! ! Peter Otto UK UXPA 21 March 2013
- 2. Constrain: Format (e.g. paper only) Time (set time limit and number of solutions) Tools (no computers, just sharpies)to avoid getting into detail
- 3. De-constrain: Technologies (anything is possible) Scope (no project limitations) Resources (whatever it takes, it can be done!)to break out of preconceptions, heuristics andbiases
- 4. Anything is possible.
- 5. Share in a group.
- 6. Personality (Curiosity and Idea Generation (Fluency,Tolerance for Ambiguity) Originality, Incubation and Illumination)Motivation (Intrinsic, Condence (Producing,Extrinsic and Sharing andAchievement) Implementing)
- 7. Lets put the technique in practice:
- 8. Something silly to warm up andget you in the mindset.
- 9. Wide solution space = more potential ideas!Simple possible solutions = less time used!Humourous/absurd character = less worry
- 10. Examples: Design a device to amuse a dogDesign a device to communicate with aliensDesign a device to overcome trafc jamsDesign a device to change the weather
- 11. In a group of 3 design 3 solutions !in 3 minutes.!!Share some of you ideas!
- 12. A more serious task to follow
- 13. Design for Star Treck Travel into a future 300 years from now
- 14. Design 3 ideas in 6 minutes You need to nd a solution to the problem for PAs to book video conferences with multiple people in multiple places.They need to be able to: Find gaps in peoples diaries. Find available video conferencing facilities at multiple locations. Make a booking
- 15. Turning the output into something useful:!!Extract key qualities and design drivers!!Translate ideas into todays technology!
- 16. Thank you.!!!!Credits!Martin Storey and Aoife NiMhorain for introducing me thewarmup design games, Alan Cooper for the design forStarTrek idea and Batey/Irwing for the four creativity traits.
View more >