tips for teachers for slideshare
out of 74
Post on 22-Apr-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Tips For Classroom Teachers To Earn Excellent Rating Dr. Richard Voltz, Associate Director Illinois Association of School Administrators
- 2. Do you believe students of today learn differently?What effect has technology had on student learning?Are there more distractions today?
- 3. A Vision of Students Today Dr. Wesch Video
- 4. Teacher Quotes
- 5. Teachers can no longer afford to close theirdoors and hope to live through their dog and pony show every two years.
- 6. If this is done correctly, is will improve everyteacher and student achievement will naturally increase.
- 7. We want tounderstand how wewill be measured andhow we can achieve excellence.
- 8. We dont want thisto be about got ya; we want it to be about truly helping people improve.
- 9. Are some teachers changing?
- 10. No more
- 11. Increased observations
- 12. It needs to look more like a Gallop Poll, random and 10 times per cycle.
- 13. What are the benefits of an administrator visiting a classroom frequently?
- 14. The more frequently a principal visits...- The more accurate a picture of daily instruction- The safer for teachers - accurate sampling- The more thoughtful the feedback- The better the quality of instruction
- 15. What are the detriments of infrequent classroom observations?
- 16. The less frequently a principal visits aclassroom...- The more chance for an inaccurate impression- The riskier for teachers - caught in a bad moment- The more teachers do their own thing- The more teachers get into bad habits
- 17. The more frequently a principal visits...- The more accurate a picture of daily instruction- The safer for teachers - accurate sampling- The more thoughtful the feedback- The better the quality of instruction
- 18. What are the detriments of infrequent classroom observations?
- 19. The less frequently a principal visits aclassroom...- The more chance for an inaccurate impression- The riskier for teachers - caught in a bad moment- The more teachers do their own thing- The more teachers get into bad habits
- 20. What you need to do to be rated
- 21. As an evaluator I expect all teachers to
- 22. Have high expectations for all students 2b.
- 23. Manage classroom procedures well 2c.
- 24. Manage student behavior well 2d.
- 25. 3c: Engaged Learning
- 26. Danielson definition of engaged learning The student isintellectually engaged in the work.
- 27. Think about thisif you were an evaluator how would you recordevidence of student engagement?
- 28. Develop a definition of whatengaged learning looks like for your subject, grade level and students. Share this with your evaluator.
- 29. When a teacher is engaged in ateacher centered activity how can the evaluator record evidence of student engagement?
- 30. 3c. Engaged Learning Virtually all students are engaged Students take initiative to modify a learning task to make it more meaningful Students have extensive choice on how to learn Students are involved in group work and suggest modifications to grouping patterns Students have reflection and closure on the lesson
- 31. Strategies Small group work without teacher Project based work Flipped classroom approaches Hands on assignments for students Labs Student decision on how to demonstrate knowledge of lesson goal Use of group response strategies instead of individual response strategies
- 32. Who says lecture is right for all students?
- 33. Flipped ClassroomHow does this work for all learners? Video
- 34. 5Essentials Questions This class really makes me think. Im really learning a lot in this class.
- 35. 3b. Using Questioning & Discussion Techniques Use open ended questions Encourage students to initiate higher-order questions Use wait time to encourage (demand) all students to participate Encourage students to ask questions Encourage students to answer other students questions
- 36. It is the evaluators responsibilityto record all questions asked and categorize by level of difficulty. What does this mean for you?
- 37. 3b. Using Questioning and Discussion Techniques If the teacher is checking for understanding, try to use whole group responses Discussion occurs that allows students to talk to one another without teacher mediation Teacher calls on students who do not volunteer
- 38. 5Essentials Questions My teacher challenges me. I have to wo
View more >
2 Tips for Teachers - Cambridge English ?· Choose the correct options for the texts. Tips for Teachers…