t3 b9 david tucker- tim naftali 1 of 2 fdr- entire contents- emails- letters- withdrawal notices 992

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T3 B9 David Tucker- Tim Naftali 1 of 2 Fdr- Entire Contents- Emails- Letters- Withdrawal Notices 992

1/92

WITHDRAWAL NOTICERG: 148 Exposition, Anniversary, and Memorial CommissionsSERIES: 9/11 Commission, Team 3

NND PROJECT NUMBER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUM BER: 31107WITHDRAWAL DATE: 11/21/2008

BOX: 00004 FOLDER: 0002 TAB: 1 DOC ID: 31206895COPIES: 1 PAGES: 9

The item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:FOLDER TITLE: David Tucker / TimNaftal i [Iof2]DOCUMENT DAT E: 09/05/2003 DO CUM ENT TYPE: Memo of ConversationFROM:TO:SUBJECT: Interview of Dr. David Tucker

This document has been w ithdrawn for the following reason(s):Referred

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

• 8/14/2019 T3 B9 David Tucker- Tim Naftali 1 of 2 Fdr- Entire Contents- Emails- Letters- Withdrawal Notices 992

2/92

DAVID TUCKER&

TIM NAFTALI

3/92

Message Page 1 of 1

Mike HurleyFrom: Timothy J. Naftali [[email protected]]Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 9:20 AMTo: Mike Hurley; Wa rren BassSubject: RE: Deadlines

Dear Mike,Thank you for the extra days. I appreciate getting them .Sorry to hear that the pressure has not been relaxed on you.Tim.

Original MessageFrom: Mike Hurley [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 1:33 PMTo: [email protected]; Warren BassCc: Mike HurleySubject: RE: DeadlinesHi Tim:The 2 month extension that has been much ballyhooed in the press in reality haslittle impact on us. Team 3's internal deadlines have not changed at all.I'll unilaterally agree to giving you an extension of 10 days. So your new due dateis February 25. Please have your piece to us by then. I hope that extension helps.You should know that I haven't asked the Front Office about this. But I think I canfend them off for ten days, and it's possible they won't even ask about it until laterin February anyway.Mike

Original MessageFrom: Timothy J. Naftali [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 4:16 PMTo: Mike Hurley; Warren BassSubject: DeadlinesWarren and Mike,I am working hard to produce use ful materials by the middle of this month. However if theCommission does get an extension, Iwould like you to consider given mesome more time. I havehit paydirt in my m ost recent interviews and important doors are starting to open. Plus I have yet totrack down some important Congressional materials.Tim.

2/10/2004

4/92

WITHDRAWAL NOTICERG: 148 Exp osition, Anniversary, and Memorial CommissionsSERIES: 9/11 Comm ission, Team 3ND PROJECT NUM BER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUM BER: 31107ITHDRAWAL DATE: 11/21/2008

BOX: 00004 FOLDER: 0002 TAB: 2 DOC ID : 31206896COPIES: 1 PAGES: 4

ACCESSRESTRICTEDThe item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:

FOLDER TITLE: David Tucker / Tim Naftali [lo2]DOCUMENT DATE: 02/02/2004 DOCU MEN T TYPE: E-Mail Printout/fProfs Notes)FROM: DunneTO: Team 3SUBJECT:

This document has been withdrawn for the following reason(s):9/11 Closed by S tatute

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

5/92

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

RG: 148 Exposition, Anniversary, and Mem orial Comm issionsSERIES: 9/11 Comm ission, Team 3

PROJECT NUM BER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUM BER: 31107WITHDRAWAL DATE: 11/21/2008

BOX: 00004 FOLDER: 0002 TAB: 3 DOC ID: 31206897COPIES: 1 PAGES: 1

The item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:FOLDER TITLE: David Tucker / Tim Naftali [lo2]DOCUMENT DATE : 01/21/2004 DOC UM ENT TYPE: E-Mail Printout/fProfs Notes)FROM: NaftaliTO: Bass and HurleySUBJECT:

This document has been withdrawn for the following reason(s):9/11 Closed by Statute

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

6/92

Message Page 1 of 1

Mike HurleyFrom: Timothy J. Naftali [[email protected]]Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 2:09 PMTo : Mike Hurley; Warren BassSubject: CIA and FBI Public Information

Dear Mike and Warren,Thank you again for your help in setting up my Texas trip.I have good contacts in the C IA's History office but I do not want to cros s wires. How should I go about asking tosee DCI's public statements. The A gency keeps them for all DCIs and they are, by definition, unclassified. I wouldlike to see Gates and W oolsey's public statements on the nature of the world, threats, etc. for 1992-94.Similarly I would like to seeSessions' and Freeh's public statements on terrorism over that period. I don't haveany contacts but I could ask Sessions to ch eck his own files for these public documents.Any suggestions? Should you ask for them via liaison? David Tucker will also probably want to see them.Tim.Timothy J. NaftaliDirectorPresidential Recordings Program

Kremlin Decisionmaking ProjectMiller Center of Public Affairs2201 Old Ivy RoadPO Box 400406Charlottesville, VA 22904

1/16/2004

7/92

Message Pae!of

Mike HurleyFrom: Mike HurleySent: Friday, January 16, 2004 8:03 AMTo: ' t [email protected]'Cc: Warren Bass; Marquittia Coleman; Mike HurleySubject: RE: Dallas Trip 2

Tim:Thanks for your notes. I apologize for being out of touch with you. We're being run ragged with one high levelinterview after another (yesterday Strobe Talbott and John Podesta, day before Sandy Berger for 9 hours). It'srelentless.I'll speak to Chris Kojm today and see if I can get more support from the front office than it has demonstrated inrecent weeks.Are you on track to meet your February 15 deadline?Regards,Mike

Original MessageFrom: Timothy J. Naftali [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 8:04 PMTo: Mike Hurley; Warren BassSubject: Dallas Trip 2Dear Mike and Warren,I don't want to cause any trouble for you and am trying to work the problem. Since my last email, Imanaged to get an excellent fare for the Austin to Dallas flight (118.00). I can spring for that so long asthe Commission will put me up in Texas through Sunday morning, February 1. The cost to theCommission is an extra night at a hotel.Tim.Timothy J. NaftaliDirectorPresidential Recordings ProgramKremlin Decisionmaking ProjectMiller Center of Public Affairs2201 Old Ivy RoadPO Box 400406Charlottesville, V A 22904

1/16/2004

8/92

Mike HurleyFrom: Chris Kojm"ient: Monday, January 12 , 2004 2:21 PMTo : Mike H urley; Warren BassSubject: RE: Travel Arrangements for Tim NaftaliMike, Warren -- What's going on here?I approved this trip, as indicated, in October, and the trip was scheduled for December.His original due date for a MS to us was Jan. 15th, and now I understand it to be Feb.15th. What I want to know is will he produce for us on time (now Feb. 15th) and is thistrip essential to that outcome.You can sense my frustration. I really don't want to pay for him gallivanting topresidential libraries on our nickel when he is already a day late and I hope not a dollarshort.Having vented, let me return to sweet reason. I don't want to be precipitate, but I dowant to very clear here. I will only approve this trip if both of you support it andbelieve it is essential to the completion of his work on behalf of Team 3's work.Best, C.

Original MessageFrom: Marquittia ColemanSent: Monday, January 12, 2004 10:31 AMTo: Chris KojmSubject: Travel Arrangements for Tim NaftaliChris:

Tim Naftali is planning a trip to visit two presidential libraries in Austin, TX on Jan.26 - Feb. 1 as he will need a roundtrip flight (to/from Dulles) and a rental car in Austinfor five days. Can I proceed with preparing the travel arrangements today?

MarquittiaOriginal MessageFrom: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 12:04 PMTo: Warren BassCc: Bonnie Jenkins; Mike Hurley; Marquittia Coleman; Kasia KozaczukSubject: Re: Travel Request for Tim

OK -- I approve.uoting " " :>> Thanks, Chris.>> Tim Naftali is planning a series of trips to presidential libraries to> consult open archives for CT material. He's also planning to use the> trips to meet with> some former officials who worked on CT issues, as described in earlier> messages> to the Front Office. These research trips will form the spine of Tim's> monograph on U.S. CT policy in the period from the start of modern terrorismin> 1968 until the Clinton administration, as described in our work plan.>> Hope that helps--please let me know if you have further questions.

9/92

> Warren

Quoting " " :> > Chris,> > I am forwarding this email to Warren for response as Warren is the> > Team 3 lead> > on Tim's contribution to the monograph.> > Thanks,> > Bonnie> > Forwarded message from " " > > Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:15:27 -0500> > From: " " > > Reply-To: " " > > Subject: Re: Travel Request> > To: " " , " "> > > Bonnie, Marquittia -- I am going to need some more information and> > justification from Tim as to the specific purpose of his visits. I just> > don't> > know much about what he plans to do/needs to do at these site visits.> > Thanks, C.> > Quoting " " :> > > Chris:

> > Team 3's part-timer Tim Naftali would like to request travel to> > > conduct> > > research at the following presidential libraries:> > > Nov. 12-15th to Yorba Linda, CA: Richard Nixon and Regan Library.> > > Dec. 2-6th to Austin, TX: George Bush Presidential Library,> > > College> > Station.> > > Dec. 9-12th to Ann Arbor, MI: Gerald Ford Library.> > > Please let me know if additional information is needed.> > > Thanks,> > > Marquittia

> > > Forwarded message from " " > > > Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:44:50 -0400> > > From: " " > > > Reply-To: " " > > > Subject: Travel Arrangements Needed> > > To: " " > >- > Marquittia,

> > John, Serena, and I need the following flight reservations next> > week:

> > > Monday, 10/27: From DCA (Regan National) to Minneapolis on the> > > flight leaving at 8:25 a.m. on Northwest Airlines.

10/92

X > >> > > Tuesday 10/28: From Minneapolis to Detroit on the 7:00 p.m> > > Northwest Flight.> > >

> > Thursday 10/30: From Detroit back to DCA on the 3:31 p.m.> > Northwest> > Flight.> > >> > > Northwest WorldPerks Numbers :> > >> > > Doug 299 752 666> > >> > > Serena SE452459 (Contintental - but they should take it) .> > >> > > Also, Serena requests Vegetarian meals on any flights that have> > > meals.> > >> > > We are taking care of the hotel arrangements. Please let me know> > > if you> > have> > >> > > any questions. Thank you very much for your assistance.> > >> > > Doug> > >> > >> > > ----- End forwarded message -----

> > > ----- End forwarded message

End forwarded message

11/92

MikeHurleyMichael Hurley [[email protected]]ent: Saturday, December27, 2003 6:03 AMfo: [email protected]: Mike HurleySubject: RE: commission work

Hi David:Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.Your plan sounds fine. It will help us a lot if you cover the 93 period upto the Embassy bombings in '98. How terrorism was seen. How the governmentresponded. What instruments were used. The range of questions/issues weincluded in our original letter to you. You're right that that February 15is the deadline.I can run the reimbursement-of-travel issue past Dan Marcus. It may beeasier, as you note, though, for you to fund it out of your program. Danwill have to check with DoD to see if reimbursement violates any guidelineor rule. Let me see what Dan has to say about this.

As for the 30,000 word guidance, that was just a target length. Clearly, asyou'll be covering a shorter period than originally planned, it's fine tocome in with a shorter piece. Needless to say, quality is much moreimportant than number of words.I recommend that you talk to Tim Naftali, to coordinate where he leaves off,nd you pick up. Also, the greater consistency there is in how you bothpproach the issues, write about them, which you think are the mostimportant, etc., the easier it'll be for us to edit.FYI: Team 3's own detailed monograph is due on March 15. Then we have abig round of public hearings, of current and former principals, scheduledfor the last week of March.Let me know about this other project you've begun. As we discussed, I'd behappy to be interviewed for it.And we need to think about when we're going to publish "Reforming HumanIntelligence". Next summer, soon after the Commission's report is issued?Our Report is still scheduled to be released in the late-May to mid-Junetime frame.Warm regards,Mike>From: "Tucker, David USA" >To: "hurley commission" ,"hurley hot">>Subject: commission work>Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:50:37 -0800>>Mike - I have to apologize again for another delay in responding. End>of the quarter and other things, etc. In any case, I will write an>essay covering 1993-1998. I will use open sources and interviews. At

>^-the moment, I intent to interview only two people, both now retiredArmy Colonels who worked in DoD, the FBI and the NSC on terrorism>during the period 1993-1998. My experience is that such people have a>unique perspective and will have nothing to hide. I anticipate that I>will make one or two trips to the DC area to look at some documents and

12/92

co do these interviews. If the commission can pay for travel and per>diem that would be good but I believe that my program has the funds to>cover this. Administratively, it might be easier if they did. How>does this sound? We are no longer talking about 30K words. I don't know what theklength will be but it will be considerably shorter than that. Thedeadline is 2/15, right?

>If this sounds alright to you, I will contact Tim Naftali. If you want>to talk about this, I will be on leave 12/24-12/26 but you can call me>at home during that time or in the office the week of 12/29.

>David

Have fun customizing MSN Messenger - learn how here!http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize

13/92

Page 1 of 1

Mike HurleyFrom: Mike HurleySent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 12:08 PMTo: Tucker, David USA'Cc: Warren Bass; Mike HurleySubject: From Mike Hurley

Thanks David. We 'll need to nail down as soon as we can whether we can count on youto cover the 1993 - 98 period. As you know, we're really hoping this works out, as yourcontribution is really important to us.Talk to you soon.Mike

Original MessageFrom: Tucker, David USA [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 11:49 AMTo: Mike HurleySubject:Mike - Sorry I did not et back to you as soon as I told you I would. When I opened the documents thatTim sent me, I found that the one listing the different documents was over 500 pages long. It has takenme a while to get through it. Still working on it, in fact. I will be in touch soon.David

12/17/2003

14/92

Page 1 of 1

Mike HurleyFrom: Warren BassSent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 11:33 AMTo: Mike HurleySubject: RE: From David Tucker

Thanks. This is a Friday thing, but we do need to pull a trigger hereI'd much prefer to have David tackle theClinton period, but if we are going to ask Tim to handle 1993-98, we really ought to let him know ASAP.Warren

Original MessageFrom: Mike HurleySent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 11:20 AMTo: Warren BassSubject: From David TuckerWarren,This is what I got from David yesterday.MikeOriginal MessageFrom: Tucker, David USA [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 11:49 AMTo: Mike HurleySubject:Mike - Sorry I did not et back to you as soon as I told you I would. When I opened the documents thatTim sent me, I found that the one listing the different documents was over 500 pages long. It has takenme a while to get through it. Still working on it, in fact. I will be in touch soon.David

12/17/2003

15/92

Message Page 1 of 1

Mike HurleyFrom: Warren BassSent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 10:09 AMTo: '[email protected]'; Mike HurleySubject: RE: Update

Sounds good, Timkeep us posted, an d thanks again for all your hard work on this. We're e xcited to see the piece.Best,Warren

Original MessageFrom: Timothy J. Naftali [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 11:30 AMTo: Mike Hurley; Warren BassSubject: UpdateDear M ike and W arren,This week I will you a progress report and a plan for completing my research. I understand that I cannotrequest funding for interview trips. But I do hope I can still make the presidential library research visits. InNovember a trip to Texas -- to the LBJ and Bush libraries - was authorized but then I asked Marquittia topostpone the trip. I would still like to go in January. I will determine by the end of this week whether toseek au thorizaton for a visit to the Carter or Ford libraries. Frankly, I would prefer not to go, if possible. Iwill be speaking to the relevant archivists today and tom orrow and will then assess the extent to whichwhat I need is already covered by the National Security Archive CT collection.Al l the best,Tim.

12/17/2003

16/92

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

RG: 148 Expo sition, A nniversary, and Memorial CommissionsSERIES: 9/11 Commission, Team 3ND PROJECT NUM BER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUM BER: 31107

WITHDRAWAL DATE: 11/21/2008

BOX: 00004 FOLD ER: 0002 TAB: 4 DO C ID: 31206898COPIES: 1 PAGES: 2

The item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:FOLDER TITLE: David Tucker / Tim Naftali [lo2]DOCUMENT DA TE: 12/14/2003 DO CUM ENT TYPE: E-Mail Printout/fProfs Notes)FROM: HurleyTO: BassSUBJECT:

This document has been withdrawn for the following reason(s):9/11 Closed by Statute

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

17/92

WITHDRAWAL NOTICERG: 148 Exposition, Anniversary, and Mem orial C omm issionsSERIES: 9/11 Comm ission, Team 3ND PROJECT NUM BER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUM BER: 31107

DATE: 11/21/2008

BOX: 00004 FOLD ER: 0002 TAB: 5 DOC ID: 31206899COPIES: 1 PAGES: 1

The item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:FOLDER TITLE: David Tucker / Tim Naftali [lo2]

OCUMENT DATE: 12/05/2003 DOC UM ENT TYPE: E-Mail Printout/fProfs Notes)FROM: ZelikowTO: HurleySUBJECT:

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

18/92

Page 1 of 2

Mike HurleyFrom: Chris KojmSent: Friday, December 05, 2003 1:39 PMTo: Mike HurleyCc: Scott Allan; Alexis Albion; Front Office; Warren Bass; '[email protected]'; Al FelzenbergSubject: RE: Tim Naftali Progress Report and Request

Mike --Re: Oakley. You interviewed him already, didn't you? If Oakley doesn't object, I don't.Cannistraro. Pis. check with Team 2 as to their interest in such an interview as well.Bush Administration: Best person is probably whoever held the S/CT job at that time.Re : letters. In addition to advance approval of interviews, please make sure that FO and Al F. are informed whenthe interviews are scheduled, so that Al doesn't get blindsided by a phone call, as happened with Naftali'sinterview of Ed Meese.I am not happy about due date extension -1know you aren't either - but if you can live with it I can.Otherwise, OK--C

Original MessageFrom: Mike HurleySent: Friday, December 05, 2003 11:14AMTo: Front Office; Warren BassCc: Mike Hurley; Scott Allan; Alexis AlbionSubject: Tim Naftali Progress Report and Request

I spoke with Tim Naftali yesterday. He reports that he is making goodprogress on his historical research and writing on Counterterrorism Policy. We originally set the end of January as the due date for his piece. Given alate start and "the richness of the unclassified documents he isresearching," he requests that his due date be extended to February 15.Team 3 can live with that, but since we'll be so crunched with our ownwriting, we'll encourage him to get it in as soon as possible lest thisbecome an albatross around our necksand make it clear that February 15is carved in stone. Our monograph deadline is March 15, which allowssufficient time for Tim's work to inform ours. Tim advised that the interviews that he has conducted to date (with our

approval) have been fruitful. As we requested about a month ago, he hasstood down on requesting additional interviews. He pressed hard in our conversation for approval to do just three more. Hewould like to interview Robert Oakley (former ambassador) and VinceCannistraro (former CTC official) for their historical knowledge on CTpolicy. The third interview hewould like to do is James Baker. I recall that Philipsaid no to a Jim Baker interview (I communicated that to Tim on 10 October

12/5/2003

19/92

Page 2 o f 2

via email). I recommend that we say "yes" to him on Oakley and Cannistraroandreiterate a "no" to him on Baker. Tim said that, for completeness's sake, he does need to interview someonefrom theGeorge H.W. Bush administration. I agree, but I suggest thathe

come in with a name other than Baker. Apart from Baker, I think Tim's request is reasonable and we shouldsupport it. Doothers concur? If we give Tim the green light on the two interviews, wewill of courseensure that hesends usdraft letters for advance approval. I know somehave expressed concern about his using our letterhead for interviewrequests in the past. If that is still seen as a problem, he can send therequests on his own stationery.

Just wanted to update the front office.Mike

12/5/2003

20/92

Message Page 1 of 2

Mike HurleyFrom: Timothy J. Naftali [[email protected]]Sent: Tuesday, November 25 , 2003 8:44 AMTo: 'Mike'; [email protected]: Update

Dear Mike and Warren,I have just returned from w hat turned out to be a very succe ssful research trip to California. The Reagan Libraryproved a gold mine. The archivists kindly prepared for me a detailed list of materials relatedto counterterrorism, Libya, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Syria, which I was able to work my waydown. Fortunately a few people had applied for materials on terrorism in the 1990s under the Freedom ofInformation Act, which were released before the general tightening of declassification in 2001. Among the superbdocuments [few of which, by the way, the National Security Archive filmed for their CT collection] are a finding onLibya and discussions of the need for better humint on terrorism and homeland security in the 1980s. It is strikingto see discussions of a pre-emptive strategy against terrorism as early as 1984.Yesterday I put some of this new material to work in my interview w ith Admiral Poindexter. He was very graciousand would like to meet again because in a 75 minute meeting we were only able to scratch the surface.There is a lot obviously that has not been released and I made a point of noting titles of documents that I thoughtyou might wish to see for your own work. The titles of many classified documents are open, even if the documentitself is not. What is referred to as a "Worldwide Counterterrorism" finding was prepared in April 1986.1could notfind the finding itself [as I said I did see another finding] but there is a reference to a still classified discussion of itby the State Department's legal counsel. As this finding may have been the first of the series that extend to ourtimes, you may wish to ask to see this discussion paper. In the files there is also a reference to a 1986 finding onparamilitary activities associated with counterterrorism. Finally, there is also a 28 page history of USCounterterrorism efforts prepared for the Vice President's Task Force on Counterterrorism in 1985 that mightprove useful when Warren supplements and edits my unclassified draft for insertion into your classified product. Ialso looked at some Saudi and Pakistani material that you might find useful as background. The first significantUS military arrangements with the Saudis were negotiated by Caspar Weinberger in 1982. His personalrepresentative was General Richard Secord, later of Iran-Contra fame. President Reagan identified the defense ofSaudi Arabia as a US vital interest. As early as 1988, the USG was sensitive to the fact that the ISI had a specialrelationship to the Afghan resistance and had built itself up as a rival power center in Karachi.I have set up interviews over the next two wee ks with Carlucci, Meese, Webster, Sessions and Turner. Theinterview with Shultz provided a few nuggets but he generally could remember little more than what he put in hismemoir in 19 93.1 would like to discuss adding a few more names. Having not heard yet from G eneral Scowcroftand since Gates is offlimits, I do not have a policy principal from the Bush [41] years. If possible I would like to tryto see Secretary Baker. There is also another Reagan person whom I would like to add. If you are not going tointerview him, I wou ld also like a chance to see Vincent Cannistraro, who was NSC Director for Intelligence in theReagan years. He prepared the findings and helped shaped the approach to counterterrorism. There is someonecurrently in government [offlimits to me] whom you should meet, if you haven't already, because of his longexperience in CT. Charles Allen, the current DDCI for collection, was NIO for CT in the Reagan years. Accordingto Poindexter, he was the first to develop a "hotlink" for the sharing of CT intelligence across the intelligencecommunity.I am aiming to be able to give a luncheon talk to Team 3 before the end of the year on Reagan and CT, if youwould like that. If the timing doesn't work, then I could hold off until early January. What you will find useful is thatthe principals were asking some of the same questions in 1985-86 that 9-11 force d them to reconsider inSeptember 2001.

Tim.

11/25/2003

21/92

Message Page 2 of 2

Timothy J. NaftaliDirectorPresidential Recordings ProgramKremlin Decisionmaking ProjectMiller Center of Public Affairs2201 Old IvyRoadPO Box 400406Charlottesville, VA 22904

11/25/2003

22/92

Mike HurleyMike Hurley [[email protected]]

>ent: Monday, November 17, 2003 2:18 PMTo : 'Steve Dunne'; [email protected]; [email protected]: [email protected]; [email protected]: RE: Naftali's Interview Request

Steve,I spoke with Tim this afternoon and advised him that, following completion of hisinterviews with former officials we have already approved, he should stand down onsubmitting additional interview requests.We agreed, however, that if he could make a compelling argument on the need to interviewone or two more, we would at least consider the request. We, of course, can determinewhat is "compelling", and, in any event, retain the right to approve any future requests.He understood the message, and I do not expect he intends to submit additional requests,except on the very select basis as noted above.Mike

Original MessageFrom: Steve Dunne [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 11:41 AMTo: [email protected]; [email protected]: [email protected]; [email protected]: RE: Naftali's Interview Request

-o?his letter is approved, although the sentence about timingNovember/Thanksgiving) may need to be changed. Please make sure Dianna and I get a copyof the signed letter when it goes out. I hope that Naftali is now done sending out theseletters; if that is wrong, please let me know. Thanks. Steve

Original MessageFrom: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 9:49 AMTo: [email protected]; [email protected]: [email protected]: Naftali's Interview RequestSteve:Team 3's part-timer, Tim Naftali has requested review and approval for theattached interview letter to General Alexander Haig. If you have anyquestions, please feel free to contact Warren Bass on x5568.Thanks Much,MarquittiaStaff AssistantTeams 3/4

23/92

Page 1of 1

Mike HurleyFrom: Tucker, David USA [[email protected]]Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 10:44 AMTo: Mike HurleyCc: [email protected]: RE:working for the commission

Mike - I have been in touch with the Clinton Library. The archivist said in an e-mail that they are not subject toFOIA requests until 2006. I have received some information from Tim Naftali about documents that the NationalSecurity Archive has, some of which may be from the Clinton administration. I'll look through that.David

Original MessageFrom: Mike Hurley [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 7:38 AMTo: Tucker, David USACc: [email protected]: RE: working for the commissionDavid,As I said, I forwarded your note to the estimable Dan Marcus.Dan made a couple of points to me: The Clinton papers are likely not yet available, and the library is notbuilt yet. Suggest you attempt to find out via telephone which open materials if any are currently availableto scholars.Re the larger question: Whether the Commission could fund travel for you to locations to researchavailable documents? Dan said it might be do-able but he reserves judgment until you get the answerfrom NPS whether the arrangement you are proposing is ok by them. If you get the green light, Danmight have to run the travel-funding question by DoD counsel.Regards,Mike

Original MessageFrom: Tucker, David USA [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 4:22 PMTo: hurley commissionSubject: working for the commissionMike - I think I have devised an easy way (from NFS' perspective) for me towork with thecommission. Our department has a certain amount of money set aside to cover researchnecessary to develop courses for the curriculum. I amsupposed to teach a course on USGresponses to terrorism. So, I can do that work on the department's money and share it with thecommission. There is a limit to this money, which means I will not be able to do as much work asI could have working for the commission. I will cover the period from 1993 to 2001. Howdoesthat sound? I will et back to you with more detail on the work plan. Do you think the commissionwould be able to cover the travel and perdiem costs for a research trip to the Clinton papers,assuming that they are available? That would help.David

11/17/2003

24/92

Page 1 of 1

Mike HurleyFrom: Tucker, David USA [[email protected]]Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 8:07 PMTo: [email protected]; hurley com missionSubject: working for the comm ission

Warren -1called Dan Marcus last Wednesday (I believe). He told me that he had spoken with someone at OSDand they had concluded that what the lawyer here cited did not apply. The OS D lawyer thought there w as aproblem with "double-dipping" (my term), a government em ployee getting paid twice for doing the same wo rk.Dan said he thought this was a problem. I explained that the school has a system in place to handle this problem,to ensure that we do not get paid twice for the work we do. He seemed to think that sounded good. He said hewould ge t back to me in a day or two with a definitive answ er. I have no t heard anything. What is your advice?Should I call him again? Do you want to enquire? I appreciate your help with this.David

11/5/2003

25/92

Mail:: INBOX: work with commission Page 1 of 1

120.45MB / 476.84MB (25.26%)Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:29:47 -0700From: "Tucker, David USA"

26/92

27/92

28/92

29/92

Mail : : INBOX : Fwd : Sample letters from Tim Naftali Page 1 of 1

116.63MB / 476.84MB (24.46%)Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:49:03 -0400From: "" 4f

To: "" 4PCc: "" 4f

Subject: Fwd: Sample letters from Tim NaftaliPart(s): g2 unnamed text/plain 0.54 KB||

{JH 3 unnamed text/html 2.45 KB |4Scowcroft letter.doc application/msw ord 32.58 KB|||5Adm iral Cro we letter.doc application/msword 32.58 KB^ifPj6Webster letter.doc application/msword 32.58 KB^

Last week P h i l i p supported i n p r i n c i p l e that T i m Naftali could requesti n t e r v i e w s with former officials in conduct ing his h i s t o r i c a l study of CTpolicy for us. One of the guidelines P h i l i p specified was that Tim would needto send us his draft letters to obtain our a p p r o v a l (obviously before sendin gt h e letters to prospective interviewees).Attached please find the first batch from T i m . I have looked at them and theyappear O.K. to me. Request FO approval to give Tim the green l i g h t on these.M i k e Forwarded message from "Timothy J . Naftali" Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 13:02:55 -0400From: "Timothy J . Naftali" Reply-To: "" Subject: S a m p l e lettersTo: "" , 'warren Bass'Dear M i k e a n d warren,H e r e are some s a m p l e letters. I need to find correct addresses, but Iwanted to be sure the language of the request was s u i t a b l e .Thanks.T i m .Timothy 3. NaftaliDirector Presidential Recordings ProgramKremlin Decisionmaking ProjectMiller center of Public Affairs2201 Old ivy RoadPO Box 400406Charlottesville, VA 22904

End forwarded message

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148& mailbox=INBO X& ... 10/9/03

30/92

31/92

Mail:: INBOX: From Mike Hurley Page 1 of 1

113.23MB / 476.84MB (23.75%)Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:11:03 -0400From: "" 4f

To : ""

32/92

Mail:: INBOX:RE: Sample letters Page 1 of 1

112.89MB / 476.84MB (23.68%)Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:46:01 -0400From: "Timothy J. Naftali" ^P

To: "" lReply-to: "" ^Subject: RE: Sample lettersThanks.I t would be great to receive p r e a p p r o v a l , so that once the l e t t e r h e a da r r i y e s I can start s e n d i n g these out. ut if preapproval is notp o s s i b l e , then I can send the final, signed letters back to the FO.T i m .

O r i g i n a l MessageF r o m : [email protected] [mai1to:mhurley@9-llcommi ssi on.gov]Sent: Monday, pctober 06, 2003 9:06 AMTo: [email protected]; Timothy J . NaftaliCc: 'Warren Bass'S u b je c t : Re : Samp le lettersT i m ,Got your letters. W i l l float them by the Front Office (FO) pronto.w i l la d v i s e .M i k eQ u o t i n g "Timothy J . Naftali" :> Dear M ik e and Warren,>> Here a re some sample letters. I need to find correct addresses, but I> wanted to be sure the l a n g u a g e of the request was suitable.>> Thanks.>> T i m .>> Timothy J . Naftali> Director> Presiden tial Recordi ngs Program> K r e m l i n D e c i s i o n m a k i n g Project> M i l l e r Center of P u b l i c Affairs> 2201 Old ivy Road> PO Box 400406> Char!ottesvilie, VA 22904

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&... 10/6/03

33/92

Mail:: INBOX: Sample letters Page 1 of 1

112.11 MB / 476.84MB (23.51%)Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 13:02:55 -0400From: "Timothy J. Naftali" 4P'

To: "" , 'Warren Bass' 4PReply-to: "" ^Subject: Sample lettersPart(s): !fj]2Scowcroft letter.doc application/msword 32.16 KB|||3Admiral Crowe letter.doc application/msword 32.16 KB^

l|Q4 W ebster letter.doc application/msword 32.16 KB|4H1-2 unnamed text/html 1.90 KB|||Dear Mike and Warren,Here are some sample letters. I need to find correct addresses, but I wanted to be sure the language of therequest was suitable.Thanks.Tim.Timothy J. NaftaliDirectorPresidential Recordings ProgramKremlin Decisionmaking ProjectMiller Center of Public A ffairs2201 Old Ivy RoadPO Box 400406Charlottesville, VA 22904

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID^148&mailbox=INBOX&... 10/6/03

34/92

Dear Judge Webster:

The 9-11 Commission had asked me to undertake a study of the evolution of UScounterterrorism policy and strategy from 1968 through 1993. This will be anunclassified study based upon open sources, declassified records and interviews withmany of the principals from the Johnson through Bush (41) administrations. The studywill be drawn upon for part of the Commission's report. Nevertheless participation in theinterviews is purely voluntary.I live in the District and would like to meet with you at your convenience to discuss ho w

the FBI and the CIA both viewed the problem of counterterrprism in the Reagan andBush (41) administrations. I can be reached atj [By way of background, I am an historian of US-Soviet relations and the history of USintelligence. In 1997 I co-authored "One Hell of a Gamble:" Khrushchev, Castro andKennedy, 1958-1964, which was published by W. W . Norton! I am currently writing theGeorge H. W. Bush biography for the AmericanPresidency series.Thank you for considering this request. \,

35/92

Dear Admiral Crowe:

The 9-11 Com mission has asked me to un dertake a study of the evolution of UScounterterrorism policy and strategy from 1968 through 1993. This will be anunclassified study based upon open sources, declassified records and interviews w ithmany of the principals from the Johnson through Bush adm inistrations. The study may bedrawn upon for part of the Commission's report, but participation in the interviews ispurely voluntary.I live in the District an d wou ld like to meet with you at your convenience to discuss howthe principals viewed the problem of counterterrorism in the Reagan administration. Oneof my case studies will be the US response to Libyan support for international terrorism. Iwill be traveling to the Reagan and Bush libraries in Novemb er but could easily arrange atime before Thanksgiving, if you schedule permits.

You have played a significant role in preparing the military for the counterterrorismmission an d witnessed ho w more than on e administration handled this problem . It wouldtherefore be of immense value to me if we could sit down an d discuss this matter at yourconvenience.By way of background, I am an historian of US-Soviet relations and the history of USintelligence. In 1997 I co-authored "One Hell of a Gam ble: "Khrushchev, Castro an dKennedy, 1958-1964, which was published by W. W. Norton. I am currently writing theGeorge H . W . Bush biography for the American Presidency series.Thank you for considering this request.Sincerely,

36/92

Dear General Scowcroft,I hope yo u received the packet of clippings from the M iller Center on our announcementof the Kremlin docum ents project. I am very grateful to you for the support that you havealways shown for that project. These days I am wearing a different hat and it is in thisnew context that I write to you today.The 9-11 Commission has asked me to undertake a study of the evolution of UScounterterrorism policy and strategy from 1968 through 1993. This will be anunclassified study based upon open sources, declassified records and interview s withmany of the principals from the Johnson through Bush administrations. The study may bedrawn upon for part of the Com missio n's report, but participation in the interviews ispurely voluntary.You are one of the very few in Washington who has witnessed and influenced ourcounterterrorism policy over several adm inistrations. It would be of immense value to m eif we could sit down and discuss this m atter at your convenience.I will be traveling to the Reagan and Bush libraries in November but could easily arrangea time before Thanksgiving, if your schedule permits. Otherwise we could meet inDecember.Thank you for considering this request and again I d o appreciate all the help yo u gave meon the Kremlin project.Sincerely,

Tim Naftali

37/92

Mail : : INBOX: Fwd: RE: 9-11 comm ission Page 1 of 2

110.73MB / 476.84MB (23.22%)Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:55:06 -0400From: "" 4P

To: "" ^,"" ^Subject: Fwd: RE: 9-11 commissionPart(s): |p2DOD5500.7-R AND 48 CFR 3.601 doc application/msword 29.11 KBH)

f[J3 TITLE 48 CFR 9.5 CONSULTANTS CONFLICT OF INTEREST.doc application/msword 54.05 KBgjj

Tucker, trying to be helpful, has triggered an unhelpful email from Mr.Lincoln. I told Lincoln yesterday that m ,y view was hat we were not subjectto these regularions, which apply only to the Exec. Branch, and did not need tomkake a formal determination of unique need (which I am reluctant to do,because Lincoln told me the Secretary of Navy would still have to be satisfiedon our need). Since Lincoln seemed unconvinced by (or did not understand) myargument that we weren't covered, I told him I would talk to someone in D O D ' SG C office here.

Forwarded message from "Lincoln, Don USA" Date: Thu,2 Oct 2003 09:17:26 -0700From: "Lincoln, Don USA" Reply-To: "Lincoln, Don USA" Subject: RE: 9-11 commissionTo: "Elster, Richard USA"

Dick,The 9-11C o m m i s s i o n n e e d s to c o m p l y w i t h the Code of F e d e ra l R e g u l a t i o n s(CFR) g o v e r n i n g t h i s s i t u a t i o n . They n e e d to s e n d us a u t h o r i z a t i o na p p r o v e d by the Secretary of the A g e n c y or a d e s i g n a t e d C o n t r a c t i n gofficer that has followed the CFR requirements set forth in 48 CFR 9.5.The 9-11C o m m i s s i o n n e e ds to follow the r e g u l a t i o n s and t h e n , a ft e r thep r o c e d u r e s are c o m p l e t e d , s e n d us a c o p y of the d e t e r m i n a t i o n s as setf o r t h in the r e g u l a t i o n s . I am s e n d i n g a c o p y of t h i s e - m a i l to the 9-11C o m m i s s i o n G e n e r al Counsel.See a t ta c he d i n f o r m a t i o n f r om t h os e r e g u l a t i o n s .D o n

DOD 5500.7-R AND 48 CFR 3.601.doc TITLE 48 CFR 9.5 CONSULTANTSCONFLICT OF INTEREST.doc

> O r i g i n a l> F r o m : E l s t e r , R i c h a r d USA> S e n t : T h u r s d a y , O c t o b e r 02, 2003 7:58 AM> To: L i n c o l n , Don USA> Cc: Tucker, D a v i d USA> S u b j e c t : F W : 9-11 c o m m i s s i o n> Don: let me k n o w if I can h e l p .> o r i g i n a l Message> F r o m : Tucker, D a v i d USA> S e n t: T h u r s d a y , O c t o b e r 02, 2003 7:47AM> TO: L i n c o l n , Don USA> cc: E l s t e r , R i c h a r d USA> S u b j e c t : 9-11 c o m m i s s i o n

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&... 10/3/03

38/92

Mail::INBOX: Fwd: E:9-11 commission Page 2 of

> Don -- I understand that the Commission is w i l l i n g to send a letter> addressing the issues that you raised in your op inion about whet her I> can work under a contract for t he commission. Should the letter be> addressed to you or the Provost, as the person who u l t i m a t e l y makes> the decision? I am in class from 0800-1000 today but could come by> any time after that to talk about th is, if you t h i n k that would be> useful.>> Dav idEnd f o rwarded message

http:/A:inesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&... 10/3/03

39/92

Mai l : : INBOX: FW: 9-11 commission Page 1 of 2

110.14MB / 476.84MB (23.10%)Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 1 0:17:57 -0700

Subject: FW:9-1 1 commissionPart(s): Q2DOD 5500.7-R AND 48 CFR3.601 .doc application/msword 28.74KB

@3 TITLE 48 CFR 9.5 CONSULTANTS CONFLICT OF INTEREST.doc application/msword 53.37 KB

Mike -- just so you know what is going on.David> ----- original Message -----> From: Lincoln, Don USA> Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 9:17 AM> TO : Elster, RichardU S A> C c: Tucker, David USA; D an Marcus (E-mail)> Subject: RE: 9-11 commiss ion>> Dick,>> The 9-11 Commission needs to comply with the Code of Federal> R e g u l a t i o n s (CFR)govern ing this situation. They need to send us> authorization approved by the Secretary of the Agency or a designated> Contracting Officer that has followed the CFR requirements set forth> in 48 CFR 9.5.>> The 9-11 Commission needs to follow the r e g u l a t i o n s and then, after> the procedures are c o m p l e t e d , send us a copy of the determinations as> set forth in the r e g u l a t i o n s . I am sending a copy of this e-mail to> the 9-11Commission General Counsel.>> See attached information from those regula tions.>> Don

> DOD 5500.7-R AND 48 C FR 3.601.doc TITLE 4 8 C F R 9 .5 CONSULTANTS> CONFLICT OF INTEREST.doc

> ----- O r i g i n a l Message -----> From: Elster, R i c h a r d U S A> Sent: Thursd ay, October 02, 2003 7:58 AM> To: L i n c o l n , Don USA> Cc: Tucker, David USA> Subject: FW: 9-11 commission>> Don: l e t me know if I can h e l p .>> ----- o r i g i n a l Message ----> From: Tucker, David US A> Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 7:47AM> To: L i n c o l n , Don USA> Cc: E l s t e r , Richa rd USA> Subject: 9-11 o m m i s s i o n>> Don -- I under stand that the commiss ion is w i l l i n g to send a letter> ad dres sin g the issues that you raised in your opin ion about whether I> can work u nd er a contract for the c o m m i s s i o n , s h o u l d the l e t t e r be

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&... 10/2/03

40/92

,:: INBOX:FW: 9 - 1 1 commission Page 2 of 2

> addressed to you or the Provost, as the person who u l t i m a t e l y makes> the decision? I am in class from 0800-1000 today but c o u l d come by> any time after that to talk about th is, if you think that would be> useful.>> David

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&... 10/2/03

41/92

Mail: : INBOX: RE: contract Page 1 of 1

106.41 MB / 476.84MB (22.32%)Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:37:24 -0700From: "Tucker, David USA" #

To : " " ^?Subject: RE: contractThis message was written in a character set other than your own. If it is n ot displayed correctly, click here to open it in a newwindow.M i k e -- I am teaching a special course this week. I w i l l be in class just abouta l l day Monday and Tuesday and all mor nin g Wednesday. I w i l l check e-mail andp h o n e messages at lunch time.D a v i d

Original MessageFrom: [mai1 o:mhur ley@9- l l commi ssi o n . g o v ]S e n t : Fri 9/26/2003 4:01 PMTO : T u c k e r , David USAC c :Subject: Re: contract

D a v i d :thanks. I got it. Let's talk on Monday. Maybe you c o u l d be a"subcontractor"to N a f t a l i , and that wouldn't be u n d e r our control, your r e l a t i o n s h i pw o u l d b e w i t h him not with the Commission, haven't run that by the lawyers, butmaybe there's an outs ide chance. Look forward to heari ng the ideas you referto.Enjoy the weekend. Time enough to worry about this on Monday.Regards,M i k eQuoting "Tucker, David USA" :

> Mi ke -- I sent the fax. I t h i n k your p l a n is the best way to go. if it> works it w i l l probably be the fastest and most efficient way to get thework > done, if it doesn't work, there m i g h t be some alternatives, whi ch we can> discuss if we have to.>> David

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&... 9/29/03

42/92

Mail : : INBOX: RE: Fwd: Today Page 1 of 1

105.70MB/476.84MB (22.17%)Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:45:19 -0400From: "Timothy J. Naftali" ^

To: "" ^,""#Cc: "" 4P

Reply-to: "" #Subject: RE: Fwd: TodayDear Mike and w a r r e n ,To further my w ork on the background study for you, I wou ld like tostart sending letters out to reques t interviews with the key survivingprincipals f rom my period.A s of his moment, I have fo rmu la ted the following wishlist.p r e s . Jimmy carterP r e s . George H. w. BushHenry K is s in g e rzb ign iew Brzez insk iB ren t Scowcro f tGeorge ShultzAdmi ra l John Po index te rFrank Car l ucc iLawrence EagleburgerJ a m e s Bake rMelv in LairdJ a m e s Sc h les in g e rHaro ld BrownCasper We i nbe rge rAdmira l William Crowe (ret)Genera l Dav id Jones (ret.)Genera l John v e s s e y , Jr. (ret.)Gen. Paul X. Kelley (ret.)Gen. Alfred M . G r a y , J r . (ret.)W i l l i a m Webs te rW i l l ia m s es s io n sstansfield Tu rn e rRober t Ga tesW i l l i a m O d o mAdmi ra l John Po index te rAs I wrote, this is awishlist: and I doubt there is enough time to reachall of t hes e peo p le . But I think it wou ld be w o r t h w h i l e towrite to allof them to see who might be available to meet . AS we d i s c u s s ed lastweek , it wou ld be useful for me to have some approv ed language that Icould drop into each letter that explains precisely my ink to theCommission, in addition to the principals who respond favorably to myr eq u es t , I will be approaching s o m e second-tier NSC, state, CIA and FBIt ypes to round out the picture.Thanks for your help.T i m .

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&... 9/29/03

43/92

Mail : : INBOX: Re: contract Page 1 of 1

105.26MB / 476.84MB (22.07%)Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:01:59-0400From: "" 4|

To: "Tucker, David USA"

44/92

M ail :: INBO X: contract Page 1 of 1

105.25MB / 476.84MB (22.07%)Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:49:28 -0700From: "Tucker, David USA" ^P

To: hurley commission , hurley hot 4lSubject: contractM i k e -- I sent the fax. I t h i n k y o ur p l a n is the best way to go. if it works itw i l l p r o b a b l y be the fastest and most efficient way to get the work done. If itdoesn't work, t h e r e m i g h t be some alternatives, whi ch we can d i s c u s s if we haveto.D a v i d

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox :=:INBOX&... 9/26/03

45/92

0 9 / 2 6 / 2 0 0 3 15:45 18316562399 PAGE 01/02

From The Department of Defense AnalysisN a v a l Postgraduate School

Monterey CA

Phone:

Date : I jSLLht

fFax:

Number of a .

Rema rk s

46/92

47/92

Mail:: INBOX: RE: Fwd: Today Page 1 of 2

& & S & P f ? Q 5 te 13

48/92

:: INBOX : RE: Fwd: Today Page 2 of 2

> >Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:41:16 -0400> >> >> > M i k e a n d w a r r e n ,> >> >Thanks f o r t h e v e r y g oo d m e e t i n g ,> >> > I h a v e s o m e c o m m e n t s i n r e a c t i o n t o t h e o u t l i n e a n d h o w i t m i g h t> >shape t h e q u e s t i o n s I w i l l b e a s k i n g .> >> > W h a t is the c o r r e c t protocol? May I use e m a i l t o c o n d u c t t h i s> > d i s c u s s i o n w i t h y o u o r m u s t w e d o t h i s o n l a n d l i n e s o r i n p e r s o n ?> >> > A q a i n , I f e e l t h a t our c o n v e r s a t i o n today and my r e a d i n g t h i s> >afternoon s h a r p e n e d my u n d e r s t a n d i n g of the k i n d of w o r k p r o d u c t t h a t> > w o u l d be m o s t u s e f u l for Team 3.> >> >I w i l l t a ke s o me t i m e t h i s w e e k e n d t o d r a f t l a n g u a g e r e g a r d i n g> i n t e r v i e w s and d e c l a s s r e q u e s t s for s u b m i s s i o n to the f r o n t office.> >> > B e s t ,> >> > T i m .

> High-speed internet a c c e s s as low as $29 .95 /mon th (depending on thelocal> service providers in your area). Click here.https : //broadband . msn .com

Delete | Reply | Reply to All | Forward | Redirect | Blacklist | Message Source | Resume | Save as | Print Back to INBOXM o v e I c o p y |This message to

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?index= 1962 9/26/03

49/92

Mail:: INBOX:Re: David Tucker Page 1 of 1

104.84MB / 476.84MB (21 .99%)Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 1 1 :53:54 -0400From: "" 4P

To : Tracy Shycoff 4PCc: " " 4F, "" I have not heard from Mr.Tucker in regards to his contract, ifyouspeak> with him could you please ask him to contact me? Thanks.

> Did Tim Naftali sign his contract yesterday?>>>> Tracy 3 Shycoff>> Deputy for Administration and Finance>> National Commission on Terrorist Attacks>> Upon the U n i t e d states> 202-401-1718> 202-358-3124

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&... 9/26/03

50/92

Mail:: INBOX: Naftali Page 1 of 1

104.87MB / 476.84MB (21.99%)Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:04:35 -0400From: "" ^

To: "" 4fCc: "" ^

Subject: NaftaliJus t a quick point of follow-up from our terrific meet ing yesterday w ith TimNaftali, who, as you know, will be writing much of our background monographsec t ions .A s you move through your research, if there are major themes or i s sues thatyou 'd like to see Tim trace back into th e post-1968 period, please drop him aline at the above email ( cc 'ed to me and Mike). Some themes we'v e alreadymentioned are how DOD came to v iew te r ro r ism as beyond its pur v iew , the originsof the FBI-CIA rivalry on CT, the legacies of Beirut and the 1986 Libya raids,and so on.Thanks, guys --and thanks again to Tim for taking up such a vital piece of ourpuzz le .Best ,warren

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox= :INBOX&... 9/26/03

51/92

52/92

53/92

, 2003 Page 1 of 1

'September 8, 2003Dr. David T uckerCode CC/TDNaval Postgraduate School589 Dyer RoadMonterey, CA 93943 /\)Dear Dr.Tucker: On behalf of e Commission's staff, I write to thank you for yow interview with us on September 5,2003. W e enjoyed meeting with you and learning about your vievvjon'counterterrorism strategies. Theinterview provided helpful insighfjp ou r mission in Hairalnp n n n m p r f t V i p n r T J v p rniintprtfrrnn'im policy tofuture t^rrnrinm nttnrl"?Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to meet with you and we look forward to working withyou in the near future.Sincerely,Bonnie JenkinsProfessional Staff MemberInternational Counterterrorism Policy Team

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/view.php?thismailbox=INBOX&index=1353&id:=... 9/8/03

54/92

Mail : : INBOX: RE: Thanks David Page 1 of 2

93.31 MB/476.84MB (19.57%)Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:06:49 -0700From: "Tucker, David USA" 4P

To: Michael Hurley 4f,"" 4lSubject: RE: Thanks DavidMike -- It was my pleasure to make the trip. Meeting and talking with Bonnie,Alexis and Warren was very helpful.I spent some time on the return trip thinking about the monograph. First, asregards possible objections to me doing it, it seems to me that we can argue thatthere is a difference between what I did Friday and what I will do on themonograph. On Friday I was asked about my experiences in OSD, so it wasappropriate for the OSD lawyer to be there and for you to work through OSD tocontact me and arrange the interview. When I am working on the monograph, I willnot be doing anything based on work I did in OSD. I will be working ondocumentary material in presidential libraries and in open sources. This hasnothing to do with what I did in OSD. Furthermore, I will not be doing this as agovernment employee but as a private scholar (we will soon have the documents formNFS to prove this).In principle, it seems to me that no one has grounds to object given thisunderstanding of my work as a consultant for the commission. As a practicalmatter of course, the commission will have to decide whether they want to riskwhatever political fallout might occur from having me work as a consultant despiteWhite House or DoD opposition. NFS would probably give in immediately, even ifthey have signed off on the paperwork, if someone from the WH or DoD tells themthat I should not do it. Personally, I hope the commission will not back down andwill push back so that I can do this work. I flatter myself I suppose, but I dothink I have some unique qualifications for doing it.As for the points I need you to address:1) When I speak to archivists, how should I identify myself? As a consultantworking for the commission, I presume, but are their any additional disclaimersthat I should offer to make it clear that I do not share in the authority of thecommission?2) A possible letter of introduction signed by someone on the commission staff(perhaps you) that I could fax to archivists or potential interviewees, if theyrequest it. (We can certainly wait to see if such requests develop. I couldwrite the letter and you could review it.)3) If the Clinton library has done little work on organizing and declassifyingits documents, it might be necessary for the commission to send them a letterasking that they make work on terrorism related materials a priority.4) I have spoken of interviewing people. I assume some of this will benecessary. We (Bonnie, Alexis and Warren) that I should send a list of people Imight like to talk to and that we would coordinate to make sure that we didn't getin each others way. That sounds like a good plan to me.Monday morning, I will start phoning archivists at the Reagan, Bush and Clintonlibraries. This will be just to get a sense of what information is available.After that I will contact you and we can decide what needs to be done about 1, 2and 3 above.I have received the hard copy of the letter and a copy of the Martha Crenshawarticle. It is a good and thoughtful analysis. I have cited it in something I

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&b... 9/8/03

55/92

Mai l : : INBOX: RE: Thanks David Page 2 of 2

wrote recently. When that is a bit more polished, I will send it to you. It iscalled "The Politics of COunterterrorism." The principle question it addresses iswhy was not more done to counter al Qaeda.David

Original MessageFrom: Michael Hurley [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2003 3:43 PMTo: Tucker, David USASubject: Thanks David

Sunday, September 7, 2003>Falls Church, Virginia>David:>Thank you so much for coming to do the interview with Team 3. It was most>helpful and we appreciate that you came such a long way and made time for>us>despite the disruption to your schedule.>My apologies for being tied up so long in the meeting at the State>Department. I would have enjoyed spending far more time with you during>your visit. The schedule just got away from me last Friday.>We look forward to your work on the monograph. Please send as soon as you>are able the points you would like us to address that will ease your task.>I will pass them to our front office and get the necessary policy/legal>decisions.>Thanks again.>Warm regards,

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95.https://broadband.msn.com

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox= :INBOX&b... 9/8/03

56/92

Mail :: INBOX: interview Page 1 of 1

92.54MB / 476.84MB (19.41%)Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:13:35 -0700 .......... ....... -. - .........................X"911PersonaFrom: "Tucker, David US A1

To: "" ^Cc: "" 4P

Subject: interviewI have the e-ticket and will arrive at the Commission offices (301 7th Street SW,Room 5125) for the 1000 interview Friday morning... If anyone needs to contact me, Iwill be arriving late Thursday evening at the Courtyard Hotel in Crystal City(703-549-3434). Mycell phone is| |.David

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&b... 9/4/03

57/92

Mail : : INBOX:Naftali Page 1 of 1

90.54MB /476.84MB (18.99%)Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:57:27 -0400From: "" 4?

To: " " 4FSubject: NaftaliF Y I , Mike.

Forwarded message from "Timothy J. Naftali" Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:12:07 -0400From: "Timothy J. Naftali"

Reply-To: " " Subject: RE: PSTo: " " Hi from Whistler,The letter from Mike arrived and it is just right.Got your style suggestion... Need I say more?Best wishes for the long weekend,Tim.

Original MessageFrom: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 3:31 PMTo: [email protected]: PS

Great seeing you the other night, Tim, and delighted to have you workingwithus. One side point I forgot to mention: you might want to look at"GermanyUnified and Europe Transformed" as a model for footnoting of documentsandoverall approach. It's likely to loom large in our collectiveconsciousnessaround here...Cheers,Warren

End forwarded message

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&b... 9/2/03

58/92

Mail: : INBOX:RE: Letter from the Commission Page 1 of 1

90.52MB /476.84MB (18.98%)Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:09:24-0400

59/92

60/92

Mail:: INBOX: Letter from the Commission Page 1 of 1

90.06MB /476.84MB (18.89%)Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:55:39 -0400From: "" 4f

To : "" ^Subject: Letter from the CommissionPart(s): [|pj 2 Contractual Letter to Tim Naftali.doc application/msword 33.27 KB |QHi Tim:Just wanted to let you know that the Commission's lawyers approved today theletter I drafted formalizing our agreement with you on the monograph.We are sending you the signed letter (to your Mintwood Place address) via U.S.mail.I have attached an unsigned electronic version of the same letter to thisemail. Please consider that an informal, drop copy.Enjoy the Labor Day weekend.Regards,Mike Hurley

http://kinesis.swishmail.corn./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&rnailbox=INBOX&... 8/29/03

61/92

Mail:: INBOX:Letter from the Commission Page 1 of 1

89.99MB / 476.84MB (18.87%)Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:30:06 -0400From: "" 4|

To: ""

62/92

H. Kean

H. HamiltonC H A I RBen-Venis t e

ClelandF. Fielding

S. OorelickGorton

F. Lehm an

R . Thompson

ZelikowD I R E C T O R

August 29, 2003D r. D avid TuckerCode CC/TDNaval Postgraduate School58 9 Dyer RoadMonterey, C A 93943Dear Dr. Tucker:The National C omm ission on Terrorist A ttacks U pon the U nited States,impressed with your previous published study of United Statescounterterrorism policy, "Skirmishes at the Edge of Empire," and aware ofyour unique government and academic credentials and achievements, requeststhat you research and write a monograph for use by the Commission inpreparing its report to the Am erican public and government.Specifically, the C omm ission requests that you examine U .S. counterterrorismpolicy before an d after the end of the C old War. Your review should coverthe period from the Beirut bombings of 1983 through 1998. Please assess theimportance of terrorism in overall U .S. foreign policy with a focus on themost senior policy makers. How did successive a dministrations during thisperiod respond to terrorism? Was it a minor concern or a major driver ofpolicy? What was the impact of the end of the Cold War? Also, pleaseexam ine what policy ma kers saw as the primary threat. W as terrorism viewedsolely as part of the U.S.-Soviet struggle, an issue of concern w ith roguestates, or a domestic problem? D id Sunni militant extremism register as aproblem with policy makers? How was al-Qaida viewed as it emerged in the1990s?

0>W -

We are particularly interested in the evolution of U .S. counterterrorismstrategy during this time. D id policy makers see terrorism as a criminal matteror a national security concern? How did they fight terrorismthrough lawenforcement, intelligence, military strikes, or other means? Which agenciestook the lead, and how did they coordinate with each other?Finally, we seek your assessment of the effectiveness of overall U .S.counterterrorism policy during this period. D id it reduce terrorism andadvance other U .S. interests? D id it properly draw on all elements of U .S.national power? W hat, if anything, hindered the emergence of a moreeffective policy?

301 7 lh Street SW, Room 5125Washington, DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9-llcommission.gov

63/92

August 29,2003Page 2In addition to answering these questions, please provide additional analysis of importantissues that you identify; we want to be open to what you discover in your work. Pleasekeep us informed as your work progresses so we can offer our input and so your researchin open sources can aid our ongoing investigation.Your final draft should be betwee n 40,000 and 50,000 w ords. The due date for yourmonograph is January 31, 2004. To assist us, we request that you create and draft yourmonograph in Microsoft Word. In the near future we will be providing yo u with morespecific stylistic, footno ting, and sourcing guidance.For the purpose of the w ork described above, and under the authority of PL 107-306,dated 11/14/02, establishing the Commission, you will be a "consultant" for theCommission. The Commission will pay you at the rate of $64.42 per hour, not to exceeda total of $20,000. You w ill also be reimbursed for reasonable expenses related to yourwork. Please contact Tracy Shycoff, Deputy for Administration and Finance, at 202-401-1718 or via email at tshycoff@9-l lcommission.gov, to finalize the contract and discussbilling arrangements.The C omm ission recognizes that to carry out your research and w riting tasks, you willneed to travel an d work at presidential libraries an d other U.S. locations where importantdocumen ts reside. W e request that you book all travel and lodging through theCom mission's adm inistrative officer to ensure you are accorded governmen t rates. Youwill be required to submit receipts for any travel associated with carrying ou t your work.Upon completion of the work con tracted for, it will become the property of theCommission and its ultimate treatment in the Commission's final report will be at thesole discretion of Commissioners. As with all other Commission work product, authorcredit also remains at the discretion of Commissioners.Com mission Senior Coun sel Michael Hurley (telephone: 202-331-4077; email:mhurley@9-l lcommission.gov) an d Professional Staff Mem ber W arren Bass (telephone:202-296- 5568; email: wbass@9-l lcommission.gov) will be your points of contact an dwill work closely with you on this project. Please call them should you have ayquestions.We look forward to our association with you an d to the results of your work on behalf ofthe Comm ission.Sincerely,

Philip ZelikowExecutive Director

64/92

65/92

August 29 , 2003Page 2

In addition to answering these questions, please provide additional analysis of importantissues that yo u identify; we want to be open to what yo u discover in your work. Pleasekeep us informed as your work progresses so we can offer our input and so your researchin open sources can aid our ongoing investigation.Your final draft should be between 40,000 an d 50,000 words. The due date for yourmonograph is January 31 , 2004. To assist us, we request that yo u create and draft yourmonograph in Microsoft Word. In the near future we will be providing yo u with morespecific stylistic, footn oting , and sourcing guidance.For the purpose of the work described above, an d under the authority of PL 107-306,dated 11/14/02, establishing the Commission, yo u will be a "consultant" for theCommission. The Commission will pay you at the rate of $64.42 per hour, not to exceeda total of $20,000. You will also be reimbursed for reasonable expenses related to yourwork. Please contact Tracy Shycoff, Deputy for Administration and Finance, at 202-401-1718 or via email at tshycoff@ 9-l lcommission.gov, to finalize the contract and discussbilling arrangements.The Com mission recognizes that to carry ou t your research an d writing tasks, yo u willneed to travel an d work at presidential libraries and other U.S. locations where importantdocuments reside. W e request that yo u book all travel and lodging through theCom mission's administrative officer to ensure you are accorded government rates. Youwill be required to submit receipts for any travel associated with carrying ou t your work.Upon completion of the work contracted for, it will become the property of theCommission and its ultimate treatment in the Commission's final report will be at thesole discretion of Com missioners. As with all other Com mission work product, authorcredit also rem ains at the discretion of Commissioners.Commission Senior Counsel Michael Hurley (telephone: 202-331-4077; email:mhurley@9 -l lcommission.gov) an d Professional Staff Member W arren Bass (telephone:202-296-5568; email: [email protected]) will be your points of contact an dwill work closely with you on this proje ct. Please call them sho uld you have anyquestions.We look forward to our association with you and to the results of your work on behalf ofthe Commission.Sincerely,

66/92

Mail: : INBOX: Commission Letter to Tim Naftali Page 1 of 1

89.91MB/476.84MB (18.86%)Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:20:20 -0400From: "" ^f

To: "" ^P,"" 4|,"" 4PCc: "" ^,""4|,""^,"" 4|,"" ^,""9,"" 4P,""

4?,"" 4PSubject: Commission Letter to Tim NaftaliPart(s): jip] 2 Contractual Letter toTimNaftali.doc application/msword 33.27 KB^Melissa, Diana, and Tracy,Attached please find a letter from the Commission to Dr. Tim Naftali. Theletter formalizes our agreement for Dr. Naftali to do consulting work. Philiphas approved the language describing Naftali's writing task. And Dan Marcusand Steve Dunne have approved the legal aspects of the agreement; and TracyShycoff has approved the contractual and administrative terms.Melissa: I would appreciate if you would put this letter on Commissionletterhead and format it. Please also address an envelope to Naftali's addressas shown at the top of the letter. We will put this letter, once signed, inU.S. mail. (Naftali does not have a fax.) Thank you.Diana: Per Dan Marcus, please use the autopen to affix Philip's signature tothe letter. Thank you.Melissa: Once signed please mail the letter to Naftali.For Tracy: Please note that all the language in this letter is the same asthat in the Tucker letter. The only difference is that writing tasks aresomewhat different (we intended that).Many thanks to all for assistance in getting both this letter and the Tuckerletter out.Mike

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webm ail/imp/message.php?actionID=148& mailbox=INBO X& ... 8/29/03

67/92

Dr. Timothy J. Naftali9/11 Personal Privacy

Dear Dr. Naftali,The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks upon theUnited States, impressed with your previous publishedscholarship, your unique academic credentials andachievements, your work as a consultant to the ImperialJapanese and Nazi War Criminal Records Interagency WorkingGroup, your expertise in presidential decision-making fromyour direction of the Miller Center Presidential RecordingsProgram, and your ongoing scholarship oncounterintelligence and counterterrorism, requests that youresearch and write a monograph for use by the Commission inpreparing its report to the American public and government.Specifically, the Commission requests that you examine U.S.counterterrorism policy during the second half of the ColdWar, particularly from 1968 (often considered the birth ofmodern terrorism) to January 1993 (the end of PresidentGeorge H.w. Bush's administration). In your work, pleaseassess the importance of terrorism in overall U.S. foreignpolicy with a focus on the most senior policy makers. Howdid successive administrations during this period respondto terrorism? Was it a minor concern or a major driver ofpolicy? What was the impact of the Cold War? Also, pleaseexamine what policy makers saw as the primary threat. Wasterrorism viewed solely as part of the U.S.-Sovietstruggle, an issue of concern with rogue states, or adomestic problem?We are particularly interested in the evolution of U.S.counterterrorism strategy during this time. Did policymakers see terrorism as a criminal matter or a nationalsecurity concern? How did they fight terrorismthrough lawenforcement, intelligence, military strikes, or othermeans? Which agencies took the lead, and how did theycoordinate with each other?Finally, we seek your assessment of the effectiveness ofoverall U.S. counterterrorism policy during this period.Did it reduce terrorism and advance other U.S. interests?

68/92

Did it properly draw on all elements of U.S. nationalpower? What, if anything, hindered the emergence of a moreeffective policy?In addition to answering these questions, please provideadditional analysis of important issues that you identify;we want to be open to what you discover in your work.Please keep us informed as your work progresses so we canoffer our input and so your research in open sources canaid our ongoing investigation.Your final draft should be between 40,000 and 50,000 words.The due date for your monograph is January 31, 2004. Toassist us, we request that you create and draft yourmonograph in Microsoft Word. In the near future we will beproviding you with more specific stylistic, footnoting, andsourcing guidance.For the purpose of the work described above, and under theauthority of PL 107-306, dated 11/14/02, establishing theCommission, you will be a "consultant" for the Commission.The Commission will pay you at the rate of $64.42 per hour,not to exceed a total of $20,000. You will also bereimbursed for reasonable expenses related to your work.Please contact Tracy Shycoff, Deputy for Administration andFinance, at 202-401-1718 or via email [email protected], to finalize the contract and discussbilling arrangements.The Commission recognizes that to carry out your researchand writing tasks, you will need to travel and work atpresidential libraries and other U.S. locations whereimportant documents reside. We request that you book alltravel and lodging through the Commission's administrativeofficer to ensure you are accorded government rates. Youwill be required to submit receipts for any travelassociated with carrying out your work.Upon completion of the work contracted for, it will becomethe property of the Commission and its ultimate treatmentin the Commission's final report will be at the solediscretion of Commissioners. As with all other Commissionwork product, author credit also remains at the discretionof Commissioners.Commission Senior Counsel Michael Hurley (telephone: 202-331-4077; email: [email protected]) and

69/92

Professional Staff Member Warren Bass (telephone: 202-296-5568; email: [email protected]) will be your pointsof contact and will work closely with you on this project.Please call them should you have any questions.We look forward to our association with you and to theresults of your work on behalf of the Commission.Sincerely,

70/92

M ail:: INBOX: tim, take 2 Page 1 of 1

89.84MB / 476.84MB (18.84%)Date: Fri,29 Aug 2003 15:00:37 -0400From: " " 4|

To: " " 4PSubject: tim, ak e 2

The National Commission on the Terrorist Attacks upon the United States,impressed with your previous published scholarship, your unique academiccredentials and achievements, your work as a consultant to the ImperialJapanese and Nazi War Criminal Records Interagency Working Group, yourexpertise in presidential decision-making from your direction of the MillerCenter Presidential Recordings Program, and your ongoing scholarship oncounterintelligence and counterterrorism, requests that you research and writea monograph for use by the Commission in preparing its report to the Americanpublic and government.

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID= 48&mailbox=INBOX&... 8/29/03

71/92

M ail: : INBO X: Approved Letter to David Tucker Page 1 of 1

89.83MB / 476.84MB (18.84%)Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:22:15 -0400From: "" 4|To : " " 4P,"" 4!|,"" ^f,"" ^Cc: " " 4?,"" 4f',"" 4P,"" 4P,"" 4P',"

^P,"" 9Subject: Approved Letter to David TuckerPart(s): |fp) 2Contractual Letter to David Tucker.doc application/msword 36.04 KB^Melissa and Diana:The attached letter to David Tucker has bee approved. Philip approved thewriting tasking language and Dan Marcus, Steve Dunne, and Tracy Shycoffapproved the legal/contractual/administrative language.Melissa: please put the letter on Coiranission letterhead and in final form.Once it has been signed, please fax it to David Tucker at this fax: 831 6562399. Then please also place the letter in the U.S. mail for David Tucker.His address is as shown at the top of the letter. Thanks.Diana: Per Dan Marcus, please use the autopen to affix Philip's signature tothe letter.For Melissa, Diana, and Tracy: I am preparing a second letter to Tim Naftall.That letter will be almost identical to the Tucker letter and therefore hasbeen approved by Philip (the tasking language), Dan and Steve (the legallanguage), and Tracy (the administrative language). I will complete thatletter and forward it to you via separate email and request that it be put onCommission letterhead, have Philip's signature autopenned, and mailed to TimNaftali (he does not have a fax). Thanks

http://kinesis.swishmail.com./webmail/imp/message.php?actionID=148&mailbox=INBOX&... 8/29/03

72/92

Dr. David TuckerCode CC/TDNaval Postgraduate School589 Dyer RoadMonterey, CA 93943

Dear Dr. Tucker,The National Commission on the Terrorist Attacks upon theUnited States, impressed with your previous published studyof United States counterterrorism policy, "Skirmishes atthe Edge of Empire," and aware of your unique governmentand academic credentials and achievements, requests thatyou research and write a monograph for use by theCommission in preparing its report to the American publicand government.Specifically, the Commission requests that you examine U.S.counterterrorism policy before and after the end of theCold War. Your review should cover the period from theBeirut bombings of 1983 through 1998. Please assess theimportance of terrorism in overall U.S. foreign policy witha focus on the most senior policy makers. How didsuccessive administrations during this period respond toterrorism? Was it a minor concern or a major driver ofpolicy? What was the impact of the end of the Cold War?Also, please examine what policy makers saw as the primarythreat. Was terrorism viewed solely as part of the U.S.-Soviet struggle, an issue of concern with rogue states, ora domestic problem? Did Sunni militant extremism registeras a problem with policy makers? How was al-Qaida viewedas it emerged in the 1990s?We are particularly interested in the evolution of U.S.counterterrorism strategy during this time. Did policymakers see terrorism as a criminal matter or a nationalsecurity concern? How did they fight terrorismthrough lawenforcement, intelligence, military strikes, or othermeans? Which agencies took the lead, and how did theycoordinate with each other?Finally, we seek your assessment of the effectiveness ofoverall U.S. counterterrorism policy during this period.Did it reduce terrorism and advance other U.S. interests?Did it properly draw on all elements of U.S. national

73/92

74/92

75/92

M a i l : : INBOX: Commission Letter to David Tucker Page 1 of 1

89.75MB / 476.84MB (18.82%)Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:12:28 -0400From: "" ^P

To : "" 4?,""

76/92

:: INBOX: RE: Letter from Commission askingDavid Tucker to Researchand Write Page 1 of 2

89.67MB /