melbourne cup updated 2011
Post on 18-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. THE MELBOURNE CUP
2. At the racecourse!
- Since 1861 people have gathered at Flemington Racetrack on the first Tuesday in November to watch the Melbourne Cup.
3. THE HORSES
- The horses first start in their barriers then the machine opens the gates and the race begins.
- People bet on horses at the racetrack or at the TAB. There are lots of bookmakers on the field who will take a bet if you are willing to take the risk!
5. Phar Lap
- Phar Lap was one of the most famous Melbourne Cup winners.
- You can see him at the new Melbourne Museum.
6. The Trophy
- The winner of the Melbourne Cup receives a trophy and thousands of dollars!
7. About the race
- The Melbourne Cup race is run at 3.20p.m.
- The horses have to run 3200 metres to finish the race.
- 24 horses run in the race.
- The trophy is worth more than a million dollars!
8. Fashions on the field!
- People go to the races to show off their
- Hats and fascinatorsare very popular to wear.
- Many people dress in unusual ways at the races.
9. A Quiz!
- When is the Melbourne Cup held?
- Where is it held?
- What is the prize money?
- Who is Phar Lap ?
10. The End