csat comprehension & reasoning_ without coaching studyplan
Post on 05-Nov-2015
Embed Size (px)
Aptitude (http://mrunal.org/category/aptitude) / 11 months Ago /229 Comments (http://mrunal.org/2014/06/studyplan-csat-aptitude-paper-2-comprehension-reasoning-analysis-previous-papers-free-studymaterial-cutoffs-part-1-2.html#comments)
1. Chart: Analysis of all CSAT papers so far2. [Section I] Comprehension for CSAT
1. Step1: Finish theory2. How to prepare high level reasoning?3. Step#2: Move hands while reading passage4. Step#3: Maximum practice5. Comprehension: Why read Non-GS columns?6. What about the English passages?
3. [Section II] Reasoning for CSAT1. [Block 1] High level (HL) reasoning in CSAT
1. Sample questions: Logical Connectives2. Sample questions: Syllogism
2. [Block2] Arrangement1. A1: Blood relation2. A2: Grouping: People vs clothing/city/occupation/relation3. A3: Line Sequence / Comparison problems4. A4: Arrangement: table Circular / Rectangular5. A5: Conditional Team selection6. A6: Scheduling lectures, events, journey7. A7: Direction sense test
3. [Block 3] Reasoning: Non Verbal4. [Block 4] Reasoning: Misc. Topics / Low priority
1. M1: Missing number pattern2. M2: Sequence Series3. M3: Coding decoding
[Studyplan] CSAT Aptitude Paper 2: Comprehension & Reasoning,analysis, previous papers, free studymaterial, cutos (part 1 of 3)
English: SP Bakshi(http://www.flipkart.com/objective-general-
4. M4: Logical Venn Diagrams5. M5: Calendar6. M6: Data Sufficiency (DS)
5. [Block 5] Reasoning: Totally Ignore these topics4. Study schedule for the remaining days5. Why people cant finish paper?
1. P1: Start with English passages2. P2: Dont keep counting black circles in OMR sheet3. P3: Dont come back for sets4. P4: Keep sitter Questions for the end
6. Become data processor NOT data collector7. Booklist for CSAT exam Paper II?
1. Backup#1: Banking, insurance etc.2. Backup#2: no competitive exam3. Backup#3: higher difficulty exams
8. Book related doubts9. Appendix1a: Sacred cutoffs of CSAT prelim exams
10. Appendix1b: Minimum Passing marks in CSAT prelims11. Appendix2: Download links
Prologue to a mile long article
Yes, Just like YOYO Honey Singh, Im also alive.(http://www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/chandigarh/yo-yo-honey-singh-refutes-rumours-of-death/article1-1225302.aspx) and [Current] series will be resumed soon but first, How toprepare for CSAT paper II (aptitude) in a systematic and time-bound manner that too viaselfstudy?
1. Comprehension and Reasoning (http://mrunal.org/2014/06/studyplan-csat-aptitude-paper-2-comprehension-reasoning-analysis-previous-papers-free-studymaterial-cutoffs-part-1-2.html) Youre here
2. Mathematics & Data Interpretation: high priority topics(http://mrunal.org/2014/06/studyplan-csat-aptitude-paper-2-maths-data-interpretation-high-priority-topics-sample-questions-free-studymaterial-part-2-3.html)
3. Decision Making + Mathematics: Medium & low priority topics(http://mrunal.org/2014/06/studyplan-csat-aptitude-paper-2-decision-making-maths-medium-low-priority-topics-sample-questions-free-studymaterial-part-3-3.html)
Structure of CSAT paper II (Aptitude)
Total Questions: 80Total Marks: 200Marks for correct answer: 2.5Negative marking: Yes MINUS 0.83 marks. i.e. -33% of correct answer.Sectional cutoffs: No. They combine marks for both paper I and paper II to select candidatesfor next stage the Mains exam.
Four Sections of CSAT Paper II (Aptitude)
1. Comprehension (i) to test your understanding (ii) to test English2. Reasoning3. Mathematics4. Decision making (without negative marking)
Chart: Analysis of all CSAT papers so far
From above charts, it is evident that in all three years, maximum number of questions havecome from Comprehension. So, lets start with that.
[Section I] Comprehension for CSAT
HL: HIGH LEVEL REASONING (FIND ASSUMPTION, INFERENCE, CENTRAL THEME IN THE PASSAGE)
Reading Comprehension 2011 2012 2013
Comprehension passages (printed in both Hindi and English) 28 32 24
Passages to test your English knowledge (printed only in English) 9 8 8
Total 37 40 32
UPSC comprehension passages are tougher than banking, insurance, staff selection and StatePSCs because:
1. CSAT comprehension dont ask straightforward who, when or where type of MCQs.2. Even when they ask what and why, you cant find answer directly from a single
sentence of the passage. They test your understanding of the entire passage.3. In CSAT 2011 and 2012, one passage would contain set of 5-6 MCQs. But in 2013, one
passage contains barely 2-3 questions. Hence youve to read more number of passages toget same amount of MCQs. Similar trend in sitting arrangement and data interpretation sets.
[Same trend in CAT- upto mid-2000s, one passage 5 MCQs, nowadays 1 passage containsbarely two MCQs.]
4. They even ask High level reasoning questions within the passages. (Find assumptions /inferences)
Step1: Finish theory
Youll encounter the High level reasoning topic within Comprehension segment, for example:
1. Which of the following assumptions are valid? then 2-3-4 statements given2. With reference to the passage, which of the above assumptions is/are valid?
3. What does the author imply?4. What does the passage imply?5. Which one of the following statements conveys the inference of the passage?6. Which of the following inferences can be made from the passage?
7. Which of the following statements constitute central passage of the theme?8. What is the essential message being conveyed?9. Which of the following best describes the thoughts of the author?
10. Which one of the following statements constitutes the central theme of this passage?
These are examples of HIGH LEVEL REASONING.*as such central theme is not high level reasoning question, but to confuse you, they provideassumptions and inferences as wrong options.
Passages Questions 2011 2012 2013
High level reasoning (HL) Find assumption,inference, central theme 10 8 8
other MCQs e.g. finding meaning of a phrase,cause-effect etc. 14 24 20
A. Subtotal: Comprehension 28 32 24
i.e. those easy passage given before DecisionMaking segment, and only printed in English.No Hindi translation give.
9 8 8
Total MCQs A+B 37 40 32
Many candidates dont need to practice comprehension at home. And in the exam, they makesilly mistakes by mixing up facts, assumptions, and inferences with the central theme. You needa strong grip over high level reasoning theory to tick correct option in this section.
How to prepare high level reasoning?
Recommended Book: Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey (BSC Publication)(http://www.flipkart.com/analytical-reasoning-3rd/p/itmdyv7d6fhkgp8s?pid=9788190458917&affid=mrunalrugm)RS Aggarwal (http://www.flipkart.com/modern-approach-verbal-non-reasoning-revised/p/itmdytg8ghhmrq75?pid=9788121905510&affid=mrunalrugm) also covers thesetopics but MK Pandeys explanations and examples are much more refined and lucid,particularly for comprehension angle.CSAT Manuals by TMH, Pearson, Arihant etc. also cover, but not in a thorough manner.As such MK Pandey is written for Bank exams, hence not all chapters are important forUPSC. Do selective study in following sequence
Chapter Title Topics to focus
1 basic of logic How to identify conclusion? he has given list of keywords onpage 6.
Logical connective theory explained on page 19 and 20. He didnot use the word Logical Connective. He calls themhypothetical reasoning. But either way its important for bothCSAT and CAT. After that read following article:
[Reasoning] Logical Connectives (if, unless, either or) forCSAT, CAT shortcuts formulas approach explained
Page 29. When assumption is invalid?Page 30. When assumption cannot be out rightly rejected?page33. Difference between implications and assumption.All the practice exercises + read the full explanation given inthe answers- why he classified something as Assumption?Otherwise in the comprehension youll always endup in50:50 doubt.Page 53: Exercise 3C, particularly the end part questionsdealing with assumption in passages.
Page 119-122: how to avoid confusion while derivinginference?Page 127 onwards: all the question passages. Also read fullexplanation given in the answers.
10 Cause EffectPage 287 onwards: differentiating between immediate cause vsprinciple cause. Itll help particularly in the passages related toscience, environment or economy.
evaluatingthe givencourse ofaction
This will also help indirectly in the Decision MakingQuestions:
Page 168: how to determine whether a suggestion actionreduces or solves the problem?Page 171: how to determine if suggestion solution ispractical or not?Page 172: are you solving the problem or creating a newone?
After above Core theory is done, go through following:
Ch.4 Forcefulness of the arguments.Ch.9 Strengthening and weakening the argumentsCh.8 Punch line.
So far, UPSC hasnt asked GMAT like questions about strengthen/weaken arguments in thegiven passage. But nonetheless, above theory will help you digest the passages better.
Step#2: Move hands while reading passage
ManhattanGMAT is a prominent coaching class in USA(!) Their comprehension tips are worthimplementing for CSAT. Whi