An Introduction to the Hennepin County Hennepin County GIS Technical Advisory Group (eGTAG) 10/20/2009.
Post on 21-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- An Introduction to the Hennepin County Hennepin County GIS Technical Advisory Group (eGTAG) 10/20/2009
- Slide 2
- An Introduction to eGTAG 1. Background 2. Charter 3. eGTAG role within Hennepin County 4. Workflow Process 5. Group Communication 6. Discussion Topics 10/20/2009
- Slide 3
- Background Why formulate a technical group? I was recently made aware of some GIS mapping services being performed by several Departments that use outdated data and differing techniques. Additionally, these mapping products were being done in multiple areas of the county which may be unnecessarily duplicating effort and cost. I have met with Scott Simmer, Manager of the GIS division, and asked him to re-establish the GIS Users Group with an emphasis on establishing comprehensive Hennepin County mapping standards and policies as well as addressing other GIS needs. Also, I want to promote the use of the central GIS staff to support departments throughout the county. From Richard Johnson County Administrator 10/20/2009
- Slide 4
- Background Why formulate a technical group? Improve mapping standards Improve mapping standards Implement industry best practices Implement industry best practices Improve communication & collaboration Improve communication & collaboration Implement metadata practices Implement metadata practices Organize a GIS data warehouse Organize a GIS data warehouse Create standardized approaches Create standardized approaches Remove information silos Remove information silos Promote technical growth Promote technical growth Create a library of GIS resources Create a library of GIS resources
- Slide 5
- Background GIS technology and expertise has evolved out of individual departments at Hennepin County. In response to the need for a more coordinated approach to GIS efforts within Hennepin County, staff members with strong technical GIS skills will form the Enterprise GIS Technical Advisory Group (eGTAG). Members of eGTAG will create a network of technology experts, which will promote and strengthen GIS technology countywide through inter-departmental communication, collaboration, cooperation, and joint research. The group will research and produce recommendations on GIS technical standards, protocols, and best practices. 10/20/2009
- Slide 6
- eGTAG Charter Components of the Charter Background and Purpose Background and Purpose Membership and Roles/Responsibilities Membership and Roles/Responsibilities Expectations Expectations Benefits Benefits Organizational Structure Organizational Structure 10/20/2009
- Slide 7
- eGTAG Charter 10/20/2009 Roles/Responsibilities Conduct research on GIS technical standards, best practices, and protocols. Document research findings and author recommended best practices. Discuss and resolve GIS technical issues and recommend solutions to the eGSC (Enterprise GIS Steering Committee).Expectations Members will communicate and promote eGTAG findings and recommendations within their respective department. Members will work collaboratively to organize and manage information and findings within an eGIS storage structure. Members focus should be on advancing GIS at Hennepin County towards an enterprise solution.
- Slide 8
- eGTAG Charter 10/20/2009 Organizational Structure All recommendations are made by consensus. When consensus can not be reached, issues are brought to the eGSC for resolution. eGTAG does not make policy decisions and is accountable to the eGSC. eGTAG recommendations that require changes to departmental workflows will not be decided by the eGTAG, but will be decided by the eGSC in collaboration with the affected department.
- Slide 9
- 10/20/2009 eGTAG within Hennepin County
- Slide 10
- Workflow Process 10/20/2009
- Slide 11
- Workflow Process & Terms eGTAG will research and produce recommendations on GIS technical standards, protocols, and best practices. Best Practices Proven and effective set of guidelines or methodology widely recognized and accepted within the GIS industry. Standards - An established set of practices, rules, or required procedures accepted by eGTAG and formalized in a document. Policy Resource allocation such as funding is not set by eGTAG. Policy is set by GIS Steering Committee and approved by County Board when appropriate. 10/20/2009
- Slide 12
- Group Communication Wiki environment Post threads to communicate to group Post threads to communicate to group Keep track of meetings and assignments Keep track of meetings and assignments Store Documents (with some limitations) Store Documents (with some limitations) Additional documentation backup Additional documentation backup Plus other forms of communication Plus other forms of communication eGIS.eGTAG group email eGIS.eGTAG group email 10/20/2009
- Slide 13
- Group Communication 10/20/2009
- Slide 14
- Discussion Topics The first two topics are Mapping Standards and Metadata Standards. Easy yet important topics Easy yet important topics Not as time consuming since some resources have already been produced. Not as time consuming since some resources have already been produced. Good for testing the waters of eGTAG. Good for testing the waters of eGTAG. Will be the first standards and best practices sent up to eGSC. Will be the first standards and best practices sent up to eGSC. 10/20/2009
- Slide 15
- Discussion Topics Mapping Standards The goal of the Mapping Standards Workgroup will be to promote the creation and distribution of consistent, high quality mapping products at Hennepin County. Not only will this address some of the existing mapping issues, but it will provide a better tool for decision making, reduce liability, and create a trusted and easily identifiable product for Hennepin County. 10/20/2009
- Slide 16
- Discussion Topics Mapping Standards Develop countywide mapping standards Develop countywide mapping standards Develop cartographic best practices suggestions. Develop cartographic best practices suggestions. Create generic templates Create generic templates Organize map dispersal strategy and repositories Organize map dispersal strategy and repositories Create cartography educational modules Create cartography educational modules 10/20/2009
- Slide 17
- Discussion Topics Metadata Standards Hennepin County Departments and Divisions create maps for a wide range of business needs. The content, design, and citation information represented on these maps vary between departments and individual user needs. However issues have been identified with some county mapping products, as well as the need to improve data content, ensure currency, improve design techniques, and reduce redundant mapping efforts. These issues were reiterated in an email by the County Administration sent by Richard Johnson (5/25/07). In order to maintain a county-wide standardized set of information about each GIS layer, we must identify the key information required for the metadata. This metadata will provide users with an understanding of the who, what, when, why and where relative to the data collection, maintenance, and intended usage. 10/20/2009
- Slide 18
- Discussion Topics Metadata Standards Develop countywide metadata standards Develop countywide metadata standards Develop cartographic best practices suggestions for easy metadata creation. Develop cartographic best practices suggestions for easy metadata creation. Create generic metadata *.xml templates Create generic metadata *.xml templates Create educational modules to assist staff with the metadata creation process Create educational modules to assist staff with the metadata creation process 10/20/2009
- Slide 19
- Conclusion Any questions? Would you like HCGUG to post some of our best practices? Thank you Jay Meehl Hennepin County GIS Division 10/20/2009
View more >
Heading Home Hennepin: The Ten-Year Plan to End Homelessness in Minneapolis and Hennepin County Presented by: the Hennepin County and City of Minneapolis.
Technical Specifications Hennepin County Finish: Natural Cherry . ... 90 Majestic Black . Content: 59% cotton, ... Hennepin County Operations Facility Services Department
Hennepin County Clerk Training 2014. Introductions Hennepin County staff & responsibilities Vision Schedule for the day Welcome.
Hennepin County Surveyor Map Maintenance Hennepin County Surveyor Map Maintenance PARCELS – GEOGRAPHY / ATTRIBUTES PARCELS – GEOGRAPHY / ATTRIBUTES CENTERLINES.