t8 b21 witness materials 2 of 2 fdr- doj tab- testimony- reports (1st pgs for ref)

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T8 B21 Witness Materials 2 of 2 Fdr- DOJ Tab- Testimony- Reports (1st Pgs for Ref)

1/6

TESTIMONY OF GLENN A. FINEInspector General, U.S. Department of Justicebefore the

National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United StatesApril 1, 2003M r. Chairman, Mr. Vice Chairman, and Members of the National Commission:

Thank you for inviting me to appear before the National Commission todiscuss the work of the Department ofJustice Office of the Inspector General(OIG). Both before and after the September 11 terrorist attacks, the O IG hasfocused much of its attention on border security and other national securityissues in Department of Justice programs and operations.You have asked me to focus my testimony today on the work of the OIGas it relates to border security issues. Mytestimony will primarily addressthese issues, although I will mention briefly several other OIGreviews thatexamine other national security issues that are relevant to the NationalCommission as it conducts its critically important task.In my testimony, I address three topics. First, I describe the findings of aseries of OIGreviews regarding border security and related immigration issues.These reviews examined the operations of the Immigrationand NaturalizationService (INS), whichhad responsibility for immigration and border securityissues until March 1, 2003, when its functions were transferred into the new

Department of Homeland Security (DHS).1 Our reviews, both before and afterSeptember 11, 2001, highlighted a series ofweaknesses in INSprograms thataffected border security.Second, I will briefly mention three OIGreviews in the Federal Bureau ofInvestigation (FBI) that relate to the National Commission's work.Third, in my conclusion, I will offer several suggestions about issuesrelated to border security that the National Commission maywant to examineas it conducts its inquiry in the months ahead.At the outset of my remarks, however, I want to stress that while the OIGhas noted serious deficiencies in INSoperations and systems as they relate toborder security issues, this should in no way diminish the important workofthousands of INSemployees (nowDHSemployees)over the years. These

1 Also as of March 1, 2003, oversightof the former INS and immigration functions wastransferred to the newly formed DHS OIG.

• 8/14/2019 T8 B21 Witness Materials 2 of 2 Fdr- DOJ Tab- Testimony- Reports (1st Pgs for Ref)

2/6

N A T I O N A L C O M M I S SIO N O NT E R R O R I S T A T T A C K S U P O N T H E U N I T E D STATESH. KEAN

H. HAMILTONChaii

BEN-VENISTE

F. FIELDINGGORELICK

GORTONLEHMANJ. ROEMER

R. THOMPSON

. ZELIKOW;Director

(202) 331-4060(202) 296-5545

March 21,2003Mr. Glenn A. FineU.S. Department of JusticeO ffice of the Inspector General950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 4322Washington, DC20530-0001Dear Mr. Fine:The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States,an independent, bipartisan commission created by Public Law 107-306,is chartered to prepare a full and complete account of the circumstancessurrounding the events of September 11,2001, including preparednessfor and the immediate response to the attacks.The Commission will hold its first public hearing on March 31 and April1,2003 at the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House in New YorkCity, and we invite you to testify at this important event. We envisionthat you would participate on a panel entitled "Borders, Money andTransportation Security." This panel will appear on April 1st from 10:30to 11:30 am.The purpose of the hearing is two-fold. First, we hope to engage keystakeholders in a public dialogue about the Commission's goals andpriorities as we begin our work. Second, we seek to learn about workalready completed and the state of current knowledge, to identify themost important issues and questions requiring further investigation.Should you agree to testify, we request that you limit your openingstatement to a maximum of seven minutes. We would welcomeadditional information in a prepared written statement. That statementmust be submitted no later than 5 PM on Thursday, March 27. You mayfax your statement to (202) 296-5545, but we must receive a digital copyvia email at skaplan@9-l lcommission.gov.We understand and regret the short notice, but hope you can still help theCommission at this early point in our work. Miles Kara of theCommission staff will follow-up with your office shortly to determineyour availability. Until then, you may reach him at (202) 296-5545 orcontact me directly at (202) 331-4061.Sincerely,

Philip ZelikowExecutive Director

3/6

gn Student Visa Program http://usinfo.state.gov/regionaynea/sasia/text/0919visal.ht

U.S. D E P A R T M E N T OF S T A T EI N T E R N A T I O N A L I N F O R M A T I O N P R O G R A M S

Middle East/North Africa I South Asia

19 September 2002Justice Department Reviews New Foreign Student Visa ProgramExpresses doubt about readiness of new visa systemThe U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) Inspector General is expressing some doubts aboutwhether the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) will be able to implement anew foreign student visa program by a January deadline. Testifying before a Congressionalcommittee September 18, Inspector General Glenn A. Fine reviewed the findings of an INSinvestigation conducted earlier in the year that found extensive shortcomings in trackingand monitoring foreign students. He credited INS for progress made since that review, butalso noted ongoing problems.The May DOJ evaluation was prompted by the discovery that three of the suspected pilotsof the airliners hijacked on September 11 were identified as aliens present in the UnitedStates on student visas. INS came under sharp criticism in March for laxity in itsmanagement and monitoring of visa holders after the agency issued letters acknowledging achange in visitor status to two of the dead hijackers.The DOJ review found an array of shortcomings in INS management of student visas. Finesaid however that the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) "will helpsolve many of the problems the INS has had in the past tracking foreign students."Fine's criticism stems from the way INS is proceeding with implementation. "We concludedthat unless the INS devotes sufficient resources and effort to implement and use SEVISeffectively, many of its current problems in tracking an d monitoring foreign students whocome to the United States to attend school would continue to exist," Fine told thecommittee.Following is the text of Fine's testimonyas prepared for delivery:Statement of Glenn A. Fine, Inspector General, U.S. Department of Justice, before theHouse Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, andClaims September 18,2002Mr. Chairman, Congresswoman Jackson Lee, and Members of the Subcommittee onImmigration, Border Security, and Claims:I. INTRODUCTIONI appreciate the opportunity to appear before the Subcommittee on Immigration, BorderSecurity, and Claims to discuss the Immigration and Naturalization Service's (INS)implementation of its system to monitor foreign students studying in the United States.This morning, I will first discuss the findings from our May 2002 report entitled, "TheImmigration and Naturalization Service's Contacts With Two September 11 Terrorists: A

3/21/03 10:28 AM

4/6

of Glenn A. Fine, DoJ IG, on Counterterrorism: June ,2002 http://www.fas.org/irp/congress/2002_hr/0 0 02fine.htn

TestimonyUnited States Senate Com mittee on the JudiciaryOversight Hearing onCounterterrorism.June 6,2002

The Honorable GlennA. FineInspector General, U.S. Department of JusticeM r. Chairman , Senator Hatch, and Members of the Committee on the Judiciary:I appreciate the oppor tunity to appear before the Committee to discuss the work of the Office of theInspector General (OIG) relating to Counterterrorism and national security issues in the Department ofJustice (Department).This morning, I plan to high light several ongo ing and recently completed O IG reviews in theImmigration and Naturalization Service (INS), the Federal Bureau o f Investigation (FBI), and otherDepartment components that relate to Counterterrorism. In addition, I will describe a review we haveinitiated that will examine the FBI's handling o f inform ation and intelligence prior to the September 11terrorist attacks, including a document known as the "Phoenix EC," and issues raised in a May 21, 2002,letter to Director M ueller from FBI Special Agen t Coleen Rowley. F inally, I will address the importanceof creating a cultur e in the FBI that encourages em ployees to report problems or misconduct in theiragencies, and I w ill discuss the OIG's role in investigating complaints of whistleblower retaliation.Since the September 11 terrorist attacks, the OIG has shifted m any of its oversight resources to matchthe Department's priority on Counterterrorism issues. We are expending significant resources examiningprograms and operations that relate to the Department's ability to detect and deter terrorism in theUnited States.At the outset of my remarks, let me express my respect for many the employees in Departmentcomponents like the FBI and the INS who serve on the front lines in our nation 's Counterterrorismefforts. While the OIG has found significant deficiencies in INS and FBI systems and operations over theyears, this should in no way diminish the important contributions that thousands of employees at theseagencies make on a daily basis. I offer my comm ents and concerns today in the same vein that wepresent findings from our audits, inspections, and special reviews - with the intent to help improve theDepartment's ability to better accomplish its critical mission.I. OVERSIGHT OF INS PROGRAMS AFFECTING COUNTERTERRORISM AND NATIONALSECURITYA. INS Contacts with Tw o September 11 TerroristsLess than three weeks ago, the OIG released a 188-page report that examined why the INS mailed form snotifying a Florida flight school that two September 11 terrorists had received approval to change theirimmigration status from "visitors" to "students" six m onths after the terrorists attacks. The mailing ofthese forms raised questions about the INS's handling of change of status applications for MohamedAtta andMarwan Alshehhi andtheir three admissions into the United States in 2000 - 2001. Theincident also raised serious concerns about the INS's monitoring and tracking of foreign students in theUnited States.

3/21/03 10:28 AM

5/6

Report http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/special/2003_01a/index.hti

Return to the USDOJ/OIG Home PageReturn to the Special Reports PageReport to Congress on Implementationof Section1001 of the USA PATRIOT Act(as requiredby Section 1001(3) of Public Law 107-56)January 22,2003Office of the Inspector General

I. INTRODUCTIONThe Office of the Inspector General (OIG) in the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) is an independent entity thatreports to both the Attorney General and Congress. The OIG's mission is to investigate allegations of waste, raud,and abuse in DOJ programsand personnel and to promote economy and efficiency in DOJ operations.The OIG now has jurisdiction to review programsand personnel in all DOJcomponents, including the FederalBureau of Investigation (FBI), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP),Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), the U.S. Attorneys' Offices, and other DOJ organizations.-The OIGconsistsof the Immediate Office of the Inspector General and the following divisions andoffices:Audit Division is responsible for independent audits of Department programs, computer systems, and financialstatements.Evaluation and Inspections Division provides an alternative mechanism to traditional audits and investigations toreview Department programsand activities.Investigations Division is responsible for investigating allegations of bribery, fraud, abuse, civil rights violations,and violations of other criminal laws and administrative procedures that govern Department employees, contractors,and grantees.Office of Oversight and Review blends the skills of attorneys, investigators, and program analysts to investigateorreview high profile or sensitive matters involving Department programsor employees.Office of General Counsel provides legal advice to OIG management and staff. Inaddition, the office draftsmemoranda on issues of law; prepares administrative subpoenas; represents the OIG in personnel, contractual, andlegal matters;and responds to Freedomof Information Act requests.Management and Planning Division assists the OIG by providing services in the areas of planning, budget,finance, personnel, training, procurement, automated data processing, computer network communications, andgeneral support.

Office of the Inspector GeneralOrganizational ChartDecember 2002

3/21/03 10:31 AM

6/6

U.S. Department of JusticeOffice of the Inspector General

The Immigration andNaturalization Service'sContacts With TwoSeptember 11 Terrorists:A Review of the INS's Admissions of Mohamed Atta andMarwan Alshehhi, its Processing of their Change of StatusApplications, and its Efforts to Track Foreign Students inthe United States

Office of the Inspector GeneralMay 20, 2002