Post on 19-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Methyl Isocyanate
- Group 3
- Ng Geok Ting
- Nian Yue
- Methyl Isocyanate is a volatile, colourless liquidwith a strong, sharp odor that causes tears.
- PHYSICAL PROPERTIES:
- Boiling point: 39C
- Melting point: -80C
- Relative density (water = 1): 0.96
- Solubility in water, g/100 ml at 20C: reaction
- Vapour pressure, kPa at 20C: 54
- Relative vapour density (air = 1): 2
- Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20C (air = 1): 1.44
Hazards of methyl isocyanate 5. Health Hazards
- Acute effects
- Chronic effects
- Reproductive and developmental effects
- Cancer risks
6. Fire hazards
- Flammable liquid
- Cannot use water to put out the fire
- Poisonous gas produce in the fire
- Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back
- Vapor heavier than air and may travel a distance to cause a fire or explosion.
7. Environmental hazard
- Bacterial contamination of drinking water
- Air pollution
- Contamination offood
8. Fire data of methyl isocyanate
- At temperatures below 39C (102F)
- Very flammable colorless liquid that readily evaporates when exposed to air.
- Gaseous methyl isocyanate is slightly heavier than air.
- Release Hydrogen cyanide
9. Explosive Data of Methyl Isocyanate
- Very explosive vol% in air: 5.3-26
- Flash point: -7C c.c.
- Auto-ignition temperature: 535C
- Reacts violently with fire extinguishing agents such as water and hydrated agents
10. First Aid Measures
- Fire : Alcohol-resistant foam, dry sand, powder, carbon dioxide. NO hydrous agents.
- Explosion: In case of fire: cool drums, by spraying with water but avoid contact of the substance with water. Combat fire from a sheltered position.
- Inhalation :Fresh air, rest. Half-upright position. And give artificial respiration.
- Skin : Remove polluted clothes. Wash skin with water or shower.
- Eye : First rinse with water for several minutes, then go to see a doctor.
- Ingestion : Wash mouth. Do not induce vomiting, then drink plenty of water.
12. Application of Methyl Isocyanate
- polyurethane foam
13. Building IndustrySandwich panelsPre-insulated pipesMoulded or cut 1/2 pipe sectionalsSpray foamRigid slabsSupports for manufacture of lightweight concrete and pre-fabricated walls / slabsThermal Insulation For Food Industry Refrigerated show casesDomestic and commercial refrigerators & deep freeze chestsInsulation of fishing vessel hull & storage areasIce boxes for commercial and domestic purposesRefrigerated containersRefrigerated trucks / transport 14. Thermal Insulation For Hot / Cold Purposes Hot water heater tanksInsulated drink and food containersTemperature controlled rooms / vessels Pipelines / valvesBuoyancy & Void Filling BuoysPontoonsFilling of voids to prevent pests and vermin Other Applications Air filter rims 15. Incident- Bhopal Disaster
- The worst industrial tradegy
- How was it happened?
- Occurred from Union Carbide India plant, Bhopal, India on midnight 2 nd -3 rdof Dec, 1984
- 42 tons of MIC- a super poisonous chemical- was contained in only one tank (tank 610)
- Water cleaning of pipes entered into the MIC tank 610 caused a violently huge reaction.
- More than 3800 people died immediately and quietly in the early morning the incident took place, others victim had injuries
- 8,000 victims died within 2 weeks, 15000 died in the first month
- Up to now, more than 520,000 people have been affected by the disaster
- Damage estimated:
- Technological errors: amount of MIC contained in the tank was far exceeded the allowed safety limit; many valves and lines were in poor condition; safety system was inadequate and safety regulations were ignored
- Organizational and operational errors: they use MIC instead of a less toxic ( but more expensive ) material; poor education of operators and shortage of supervisors, workers;
- Legal errors: the chemical plant was allowed to locate in the heart of a densely populated area.
19. 20. How do you as a Logistician would find the MSDS useful in your job in the future ?
- Provide Instructions For:
- potential hazard prevention
- first aid
- emergency response
- safe storage
- physical property
- environmental risk associated with a particular material.
- properly label substances and hazard symbols
21. The End
- Reference :
23. Review of Group 4 Carbon Tetrachloride 24.
- is a manufactured chemical that does not occur naturally.
- It is a clear liquid with a sweet aroma and often found in air as a colourless gas.
- Not flammable and does not dissolve in water easily.
- breathing and drinking of contaminated air near manufacturing plants or waste sites
- happens to consume contaminated soils vegetation.
- production of refrigerator fluid, pesticide, degreasing agent and composition of fire extinguishers
- store in cool, dry location away from all heavily trafficked areasand emergency exits.
- Real life Accident :
- In USA, due to the fire caused by the protest and other lack of attention releases (waste storage area prone to air borne), the Rocky Flats is contaminated with plutonium and carbon tetrachloride
26. Our Comments
- Its providesa lot of information about the Carbon Tetrachloride
- Better understanding the danger of the chemical and ways of handling it.
- Overall, the finding are interesting with pictures and let us know more about carbon tetrachloride