magazine advert production
Embed Size (px)
Magazine Advert ProductionScreenshots of Editing
The first thing that we needed to do when making the magazine advert was to ensure that the page size was A4 and for international paper as it is the typical size of a magazine page. After this we input the image that was taken during the filming.
As we needed to remove the background behind the amp, we used the lasso tool. This allowed us to draw the lines around the amp to ensure that only the amp was selected. After this, the amp was put onto a separate layer so that the background could be erased. This left only the area of the image that we wanted to keep.
However, there were small white lines left from where the lasso tool had been used.
After removing the background, we had to find a way to resolve the issue.
To do this, a thick black line was drawn over the white areas to cover up where they had been.
When you use the eraser tool, it leaves a white and grey chequered pattern, which shows that there is nothing there. This is extremely helpful as we had to use multiple layers to create the advert. Through this, it was easy to organise where each of the layers should be placed and when the entirety of the background was gone.
Once all of the background had been removed, we needed to fill it in black. To do this, we used the paint brush tool. Whilst we were using the tool, we found out that you could adjust the brush size. This came in very helpful as we could decrease the brush size for the smaller, more precise areas of the image.
We chose the solid black background as this kept to the conventions of the rock genre. Also, several of the magazine adverts that we looked at used a solid background colour so we kept to the conventions of other magazine adverts as well.
The process of removing the background and then painting it black continued until the advert only had the image of the amp with a completely black background.
Whilst we were making the advert, we wanted to ensure that we did not get confused as to which layers corresponded with each section of the image. To do this, once we were sure that we liked the image, we merged the layers together so that they could be manipulated as one and stop us from being confused as to which layer is for what.
After this, we were left with the image of the amp and the black background. We found that, despite many adverts having just a solid background with an image, we thought that the advert could look a lot more interesting and attracting to the audience.
To try and make the advert attracting, we decided to turn the image black and white. Not only this make both the image and the advert look more professional and visually appealing but also made it relate more to the rock genre.
This was done by going to the properties panel on the right side of the program and selecting the option that was a circle split in half to represent the black and white option.
After changing it to black and white, we looked at the colour exposure options that could be used to change how the image looked. We decided to use the colour exposure to make the image look brighter. The black and white of the image helped to link the magazine advert and the music video together as they both include the monochrome elements.
One issue that we had though was that, when we changed the colour and exposure of the image, some of the writing on the amp became slightly blurred.
To fix this, we used the Smart Sharpen option in the filter drop down menu. After doing this though, the shade of black around the writing and the shade on the rest of the image was slightly different. Because of this, we then used the blur tool to create a gradual change in colour so that it was not obvious that there was a change in the tone of the colour.
Another issue that we experienced whilst making the advert was that at the time of making the magazine advert our college would not allow people to download the fonts from any online font websites. This was a problem for us as we could not access the font that we needed for our magazine as it was only available from one of these sites.
Due to this, we had to find the font online (called Fast In My Car which is not the actual Paramore font but was created by a user on the website). We then typed the band name into the example box and used the snipping tool to get the bands name in the font.
As the text was no longer in a text file - due to the snipping tool and was now a .JPG file. Because of this, we had to interact with it as an image instead of as a piece of text. We brought the image into a PowerPoint document so that we could quickly and easily change the image to fit in on the advert.
First, we had to change the background of the image. As it still had a white background from when it was taken from the website, we had to make the background transparent.
After this, we turned the image white and used the saturated effect from the drop down menu. However, this meant that the image was no longer visible so we changed the background to the same shade of black as that of the advert.
The saturated effect helped to give the same effect that the band usually uses on their own products. The font also helps to create a link between the advert and the digipak as the same font has been used in each of the products.
Once all of the adjustments had been made to the image of the font, the snipping tool was used again. This allowed us to copy both the font and some of the black background over to the Photoshop document and adjust the size and placement of it as necessary.
We then added in the release date, social networking options and the record label to create the final advert.