Los Angeles Unified School District COORDINATOR/COUNSELOR/ GUIDANCE STAFF SUPPORT “College and Career Readiness Support” LAUSD, CDE and College Board LA.
Post on 16-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Los Angeles Unified School District COORDINATOR/COUNSELOR/ GUIDANCE STAFF SUPPORT College and Career Readiness Support LAUSD, CDE and College Board LA Chamber of Commerce February 7, 2014
- Slide 2
- In 1954, Ruby Bridges Deserved a Rigorous and High Quality Education. In 2014, Each & Everyone of LAUSD Students Deserves The Same!
- Slide 3
- What Role is The College Board Taking To Address Issues of Access and Equity in Promoting a College and Career Readiness Pathway For All Students?
- Slide 4
- Slide 5
- SpringBoard ELA and Mathematics PSAT/NMSQT AP Potential College Visits SAT AP Courses College Admission ReadiStep CollegeEd Sixth Grade The Path to College Readiness
- Slide 6
- rSAT & rPSAT & revised AP 4 or More Campaign Accuplacer CLEP Hoxby Research Professional Development Young Men of Color Research CAPE 1&2, Google AP STEM and Dell AP STEM Research access & equity College Board Support Access & Equity US Dept. of Ed & 50 States
- Slide 7
- Providing Access and Equity
- Slide 8
- In 1979, High-Income Students College Attendance Rates Source: NCES, The Condition of Education 2010 (Table A-20-1) and The Condition of Education 2011 (Table A-21-1). Additional Source: The Education Trust, 2012. 63%
- Slide 9
- In 2009, Low-Income Students College Attendance Rates Source: NCES, The Condition of Education 2010 (Table A-20-1) and The Condition of Education 2011 (Table A-21-1). Additional Source Educational Trust, 2012. 54%
- Slide 10
- Program Partners and Roles: Google $5 million grant to DonorsChoose.org and the College Board Global Impact Awards DonorsChoose.org Started 500 AP STEM courses Teachers used DonorsChoose.org platform to request AP textbooks and classroom materials The College Board Assisted in the implementation of the program Focus on underrepresented and female students Acts as primary contact for schools and teachers for training and support GOOGLE/COLLEGE BOARD AP STEM PROJECT
- Slide 11
- Benefits for the School START-UP FUNDING FOR NEW AP STEM COURSES CourseTotal Biology$7,840 Chemistry$9,000 Environmental Science$7,100 Physics B$8,000 Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism$6,100 Physics C: Mechanics$6,100 Calculus AB$3,200 Calculus BC$3,200 Computer Science A$1,200 Statistics$3,200
- Slide 12
- Program Partners and Roles: Google $1.2 million grant to DonorsChoose.org and the College Board To promote new AP courses DonorsChoose.org Start 80 NEW AP courses Teachers used DonorsChoose.org platform to request AP summer training, classroom materials from $1,200-9,000 per classroom and incentives for teachers ($100 per qualifying score) The College Board Assisted in the implementation of the program Focus on underrepresented students Acts as primary contact for schools and teachers for training and support DELL/COLLEGE BOARD AP PROJECT
- Slide 13
- 13 Rigorous Courses Can Open The Door To Academic Success!
- Slide 14
- Partner Talk What factors do you use in recommending a student to enroll in an AP course? 14
- Slide 15
- 15 What factors do you use in recommending a student to enroll in an AP course? Source: 2012 AP Participation Survey: 13,262 respondents
- Slide 16
- 16 PSAT (.56 correlation) stronger correlation than cumulative GPA (.28 correlation) PSAT (.56 correlation) stronger correlation than relevant course grades (.25 correlation) A Deeper Look
- Slide 17
- 17 1. Stand out in the college admission process 2. Earn academic scholarships and awards from colleges and universities 3. Save time and money once they get to college, providing them with more study options and allowing them to move directly into upper-level courses in their field of interest 4. Earn AP Scholar Awards, an academic distinction granted each September by the College Board to students with exemplary AP Exam scores Can Taking AP Courses Help Students Get Into College?
- Slide 18
- One of the best standard predictors of academic success at Harvard University is performance on Advanced Placement Examinations. William Fitzsimmons, Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid, Harvard University
- Slide 19
- The Challenge: Equitable Access to AP Courses 19 Asian 42% 58% White 62% 38% Hispanic/Latino 70% 3 0% Black/African American 80% 20% Took Recommended AP Did Not Take Recommended AP
- Slide 20
- How Does Promoting Rigor Support the LAUSD Strategic Plan? 1.To provide access and equity for all students 2.To help 100% of LAUSD students graduate from high school and succeed in college 3.To eliminate gaps between underrepresented and low-income students thus promoting proficiency for all
- Slide 21
- 21 What Resources are Available for Guidance Staff?
- Slide 22
- AP Potential Overview 1. AP Potential is a free, web-based tool that allows schools to generate rosters of students who are likely to score a 3 or higher on a given AP Exam 2.Research based with strong correlations between ReadiStep and PSAT/NMSQT scores and AP Exam results 3.AP Potential is designed to help you increase access to AP and to ensure that no student who has the chance of succeeding in AP is overlooked 22 AP Potential Identifies Students Who Can Be Successful in 25 of the 34 AP Courses http://collegeboard.org/appotential
- Slide 23
- My AP Potential Report legend See shading of the step icons Choosing a major shows students which courses are related to majors. Ideal scenario Students can see if their school likely offers a course (based on AP exams given last year)
- Slide 24
- AP Potential Expectancy Tables Expectancy Tables See the scores that correlate to probabilities of success in AP Biology. E.g. students who score 114 in Critical Reading and Math have 60% chance or greater of earning 3 or better in AP Biology.
- Slide 25
- Step 1 of 4 Select the PSAT/NMSQ T administratio n year for which youd like to generate a roster. AP Potential Select PSAT/NMSQT Administration Year
- Slide 26
- Step 2 of 4 If you chose to generate your roster manually, youll continue onto Step 2: Select the AP courses youd like to identify students for. AP Potential Select Subjects
- Slide 27
- Step 3 of 4 Choose a grade level and define your pool. AP Potential Select Pool
- Slide 28
- AP Potential Student Roster Step 4 of 4 Read the instructions for using the roster and see your list of students at the bottom of the screen.
- Slide 29
- AP Export data into an Excel spreadsheet to make it easy to read and use. Create letters to parents. AP Potential provides sample letters in English and Spanish. TIP Potential Tips
- Slide 30
- My College QuickStart New in 2012!
- Slide 31
- Connect to the Possibilities Major a student chose Related majors Related careers My Major & Career Matches
- Slide 32
- Research Majors Description of majors Courses students can take in high school to prepare Courses they can expect to take in college Jobs students can expect with different degree levels My Major & Career Matches
- Slide 33
- Start the College Search Starter list of colleges Criteria to customize search My College Matches
- Slide 34
- Get the Facts Full college profiles Cost and financial aid My College Matches
- Slide 35
- My College QuickStart Tips Arrange for a computer lab session to introduce students to My College QuickStart Use free lesson plans to guide students through structured activities TIP Check out the demo for educators http://professionals.collegeboard.com/k-12/prepare/quickstart
- Slide 36
- 36 Belief System: Open Access NO CHILD wanting to take rigorous classes and willing to work hard should be left out!
- Slide 37
- GroupPassed ExamTook, Did Not Pass Took AP course, No Exam African American 28%22%16% Hispanic28%12%10% White33%22%20% Low Income26%17%12% Non-Low Income34%23%19% Students in AP Graduate From College at Higher Rates Than Non-AP Students Source: Chrys Dougherty, Lynn Mellor, and Shuling Jian, The Relationship Between Advanced Placement and College Graduation (National Center for Educational Accountability, 2006)
- Slide 38
- Credit and Placement for Qualifying AP Scores 94% of four-year U.S. colleges and universities grant credit or advanced placement. Policies vary widely between (and sometimes within) institutions. For more information: www.collegeboard.com/ ap/creditpolicy www.collegeboard.com/ ap/creditpolicy SAMPLE Source: University of Florida (http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/catalog/policies/advisingcreditap.html)http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/catalog/policies/advisingcreditap.html
- Slide 39
- Institutions Participating in AP College Comparability Studies
- Slide 40
- 40 Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced! James Baldwin, Poet/Playwright
- Slide 41
- Expanding access to more schools is needed, but if every school with an existing AP program focused on finding its own missing students, we could almost entirely eliminate participation gaps. Christina Theokas and Reid Saaris. Finding Americas Missing AP and IB Students. The Education Trust: Shattering Expectation Series, June 2013 Expanding AP Access and Opportunity
- Slide 42
- 42 Promoting Academic Success Remember, You Hold The Key!
- Slide 43
- 43 Developing a Sense of Urgency! Many things we need can wait, the child cannot. Now is the time his bones are being developed. To him, we cannot say, tomorrow. His name is today. Gabriella Mistral, Chilean Poet
- Slide 44
- Slide 45
- Thank You! Coordinators, Counselors, Testing Coordinators, You ROCK!
- Slide 46
- 46 Questions Don Mitchell Senior Educational Manager College Board Phone: 213-416-2122 Cell: 213-514-4027 E-mail: email@example.com
View more >
Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) ?· Los Angeles Unified School District ... LAUSD Central…
© 2014 The College Board Los Angeles Unified School District AEMP Parent Coordinators Delivering Opportunities Through Instructional Support September.
Los Angeles Unified School District Office of Curriculum ... Angeles Unified School District Office of Curriculum Instruction and School Support 2014-2015 Precalculus Common Core Curriculum Map LAUSD Secondary Mathematics ...
LOS ANGELES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Board ANGELES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Board of Education Report…
LOS ANGELES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Board of (Charters) Issuance... · LOS ANGELES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT…
LOS ANGELES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT - lausd. Session...los angeles unified school district ... 07/06/09 1 general information ... note: substitute ...
How ESSA and IDEA Can Support College and Career Readiness ... ?· How ESSA and IDEA Can Support College…
viewLos Angeles Unified School District. Los Angeles Unified School District. Los Angeles Unified School District. Los Angeles Unified School
Los Angeles Unified School District Pupil Services and Attendance Valerie Corcoran, Field Coordinator Superintendent’s Intensive Support and Innovation.
The College Board National Office for School Counselor ...media. college readiness, college admission, guidance, assessment, ... The College Board is committed to the principles of excellence and equity,
LOS ANGELES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT SPECIALLY FUNDED PROGRAMS COMPLIANCE AND TECHINICAL SUPPORT BRANCH.
The College Board National Office for School Counselor ... Eight Components of College and Career Readiness Counseling The Need for College Readiness Counseling In today’s global, knowledge-based
Los Angeles Unified School District Angeles Unified School District Board of Education Report 333 South…
LOS ANGELES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT SelectionOf ELA...Integrated Library and Textbook Support Services ... This section provides instructions for other schools ... LOS ANGELES UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT MEMORANDUM ...
High School Graduation and College and Career Readiness School Graduation and College and Career Readiness Act ... The High School Graduation and College and Career Readiness ... to calculate the cost to ...