Post on 13-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- is the part of the computer which is responsible for accepting and processing the data brought in by the input devices.- responsible for passing the resulting information to the users via the output devices.System Unit
Main Circuit Board/Motherboard is the central nervous system of the computer.
Port is a connection from the main circuit board to a peripheral device such as a keyboard, a printer, or a video monitor.
Expansion slots are the long plug-in strips in the motherboard.
Expansion card is a printed circuit card with circuitry that gives the computer additional capabilities. Used to connect the following devices to the motherboard such Disk drives, scanners, external CD-Rom, Modems, Audio, TV tuner, and networking.
Bus is responsible for transporting electronic signals.
Central Processing Unit/CPU is an integrated circuit chip containing the electronic circuitry that controls the interpretation and execution of instructions.
1. Control Unit/CU is the part of the CPU that directs the step-by-step operation of the computer.3 Components of Microprocessor/CPU:3. Registers are high-speed temporary storage areas which are used to hold both instructions and data during processing.2. Arithmetic/Logic Unit/ALU is capable of performing arithmetic and logical operations.
1. Instruction Register holds instructions.3 Types of Registers:2. Buffer Register temporarily holds data retrieved from the primary memory, prior to processing.3. Accumulator temporarily stores the results of continuing arithmetic and logical operations.
Computer Memory/Memory used to holds data and instructions before and after they are processed.1. Read-Only Memory/ROM where permanent instructions are stored.2 Classifications of Memory:2. Random-Access Memo/RAM where data and instructions are temporarily stored.
Kilobytes/Kb. 1 Kb = 1,024 bytes Gigabytes/Gb. 1Gb=1,073,741,824bytes Megabytes/Mb. 1 Mb = 1,048,576 bytes Tetrabytes/Tb. 1Tb=1,099,511,627,7776 bytes Memory Equivalents:
Cache Memory is a place to keep something safe. Also, a special set of very fast RAM chips used to store data that that the CPU most frequently receives from RAM. These chips are called Static Random-Access Memory/SRAM. is permanent storage that supplements primary storage, or RAM.Secondary Storage a non-volatile storage.
1. Sequential-Access Storage Device is stored and accessed in a set order.2 Types of Secondary Storage:Ex. Reel-to-Reel tapesQuarter-Inch Cartridges/QIC
2. Direct-Access Storage Device, sometimes called Random Access, means that the data stored in a specific location so that any data can be found quickly.Ex.Floppy diskHard disk driveCD-ROMFlash drive
Reel-to-Reel Tapes it was backup storage after disk storage was introduced. Tape Cartridges/Quarter-Inch Cartridges have greater capacity than reel-to-reel tapes. Floppy Disk it is an inexpensive, removable storage device used for storing relatively small amounts of data. Hard Disk Drive are absolutely essential for most business PC applications where large amounts of information are processed. Compact Disk Read-Only Memory/CD-ROM is an optical disk that holds approximately. Flash Drive/Universal Serial Bus/USB consists of a flash memory data storage device integrated with a USB (Universal Serial Bus)
Courtesy of www.google.com
AssignmentWhat is a Software?What are the 3 types of Software?Give at least 2 examples in each type of software.