introduction to the minor prophets and obadiah
out of 30
Post on 26-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Introduction to the Minor Prophets and Obadiah
- Slide 2
- Slide 3
- Slide 4
- Slide 5
- Slide 6
- Slide 7
- Historical Books 2000 - 1500 Period of the Patriarchs 1500 - 10001000 - 500 Exodus and Sinai JudgesKings of Israel and Judah Return Poetic Books Torah Prophetic Books
- Slide 8
- Slide 9
- The Prophets Message Their language and culture can make interpretation difficult Some of what they write is poetic The prophets spoke Gods message, not their own says the Lord = 428 times in prophets Prophets message is unoriginal They are covenant enforcement mediators Reiterating the law Reiterating the blessings and curses
- Slide 10
- Foretelling or Forthtelling? When a prophet announces the future it is usually the immediate future of Israel, Judah, and other nations surrounding them. Of the prophecies, less than 5% describes the New Covenant Age Less than 2% of Old Testament prophecy is Messianic Less than 1% concerns events yet to come
- Slide 11
- Slide 12
- Isaiah 7:10-13 Then the LORD spoke again to Ahaz, saying, 11 Ask a sign for yourself from the LORD your God; make it deep as Sheol or high as heaven. But Ahaz said, I will not ask, nor will I test the LORD! 13 Then he said, Listen now, O house of David! Is it too slight a thing for you to try the patience of men, that you will try the patience of my God as well?
- Slide 13
- Isaiah 7:14-16 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel. 15 He will eat curds and honey at the time He knows enough to refuse evil and choose good. 16 For before the boy will know enough to refuse evil and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread will be forsaken.
- Slide 14
- Matthew 1:20-23 But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins. All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel (which means, God with us).
- Slide 15
- Studying the Minor Prophets 1.Obadiah Servant of Jehovah (845 BC)Obadiah 2.Joel Jehovah is God (830 BC)Joel 3.Jonah Dove (780 BC)Jonah 4.Amos Burden-bearer (755 BC)Amos 5.Hosea Salvation (750-725 BC) 6.Micah Who is like the Lord? (740-700 BC) 7.Zephaniah Jehovah Hides (625 BC) 8.Nahum Consolation (630-612 BC) 9.Habakkuk Embrace (612-606 BC) 10.Haggai Festive or Festival (520 BC) 11.Zachariah Whom Jehovah Remembers (520-518 BC) 12.Malachi My Messenger (445-432 BC)
- Slide 16
- Studying the Minor Prophets Minor prophets of Israel Jonah Amos Hosea Minor prophets of Judah Obadiah Joel Micah Nahum Zephaniah Habakkuk
- Slide 17
- Studying the Minor Prophets Post-exilic Prophets Haggai Zechariah Malachi
- Slide 18
- Oracle against Edom
- Slide 19
- Obadiah 1:1 The vision of Obadiah. Thus says the Lord GOD concerning Edom We have heard a report from the LORD, And an envoy has been sent among the nations saying, Arise and let us go against her for battle
- Slide 20
- Slide 21
- History Gen 25:21-23 And Isaac prayed to the LORD for his wife, because she was barren. And the LORD granted his prayer, and Rebekah his wife conceived. The children struggled together within her, and she said, If it is thus, why is this happening to me? So she went to inquire of the LORD. And the LORD said to her, Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you shall be divided; the one shall be stronger than the other, the older shall serve the younger.
- Slide 22
- History Gen 36:1-8 These are the generations of Esau (that is, Edom)Then Esau took his wives, his sons, his daughters, and all the members of his household, his livestock, all his beasts, and all his property that he had acquired in the land of Canaan. He went into a land away from his brother Jacob. For their possessions were too great for them to dwell together. The land of their sojournings could not support them because of their livestock. So Esau settled in the hill country of Seir. Esau is Edom.
- Slide 23
- History Numbers 20:14 They wouldnt let Moses pass though the Land 1 Samuel 14:47 Opposed Saul 2 Samuel 8:14 Ruled by David 1 Kings 11:14 Fought against Solomon 2 Chronicles 20:22 Opposed Jehoshaphat 2 Chronicles 21:8 Rebelled against Jehoram
- Slide 24
- Date Some favor a late date (585 B.C.) The exiles of this host of the people of Israel shall possess the land of the Canaanites as far as Zarephath, and the exiles of Jerusalem who are in Sepharad shall possess the cities of the Negeb. However, exiles is used Amos 1:9 and doesnt refer to the whole population Verse 11 favors an early date (848-841) On the day that you stood aloof, on the day that strangers carried off his wealth and foreigners entered his gates and cast lots for Jerusalem, you were like one of them.
- Slide 25
- Date 2 Chronicles 21:16-17 And the LORD stirred up against Jehoram the anger of the Philistines and of the Arabians who are near the Ethiopians. And they came up against Judah and invaded it and carried away all the possessions they found that belonged to the kings house, and also his sons and his wives, so that no son was left to him except Jehoahaz, his youngest son.
- Slide 26
- Slide 27
- Slide 28
- Vision against Edom Defeated despite strength & security, 1-4Defeated despite strength & security, 1-4 Thoroughly plundered, 5- 7Thoroughly plundered, 5- 7 Cut off forever, 8-10Cut off forever, 8-10 Warning against Edom Israels Victory 1:11:121:15 Do not GloatGloat Rejoice over sons of JudahRejoice over sons of Judah Enter gate of JudahEnter gate of Judah Loot JudahLoot Judah Hurt survivorsHurt survivors Imprison survivorsImprison survivors Day of the Lord coming, 15-16Day of the Lord coming, 15-16 Israel will retake land, 17Israel will retake land, 17 Israel will rule the nations, 18- 21Israel will rule the nations, 18- 21
- Slide 29
- Slide 30
View more >