how to learn better
out of 15
Post on 10-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONLearning Styles and Mnemonics
- 1. How Can I Learn Better? A college readiness skill
- 2. We All Learn Differently! We all have different styles of learning. There are some strategies you can use to make the learning process easier. In this presentation, you will learn: Three Learning Styles Memorization Techniques As a result of this presentation, you will be able to learn better!
- 3. Learning Styles
- 4. VAK We all have different styles of learning. In fact, there are three types of learning styles: V - Visual A - Auditory K - Kinesthetic
- 5. Which is your learning style? You are a visual learner, if you learn best by seeing information. Strategies usually used: power points, whiteboard visuals, videos, highlighters, notes, color- coding, diagrams, charts, maps, timelines, etc. You are an auditory learner, if you learn best by hearing information. Strategies usually used: listening to lectures, engaging in discussions, music, read aloud, orally summarizing information, retell, etc. You are kinesthetic (aka tactile) learner, if you learn best by incorporating physical movement into learning. Strategies usually used: getting up to move periodically when studying, wiggling foot, tapping fingers, manipulating objects, building, assembling, labs, etc.
- 6. Use Your Learning Style More Often Now that you know your learning style, try to do that more often so that you can learn better.
- 7. Memorization Techniques
- 8. Memorization Methods One excellent way we can learn better is by using memorization strategies. The following memorization tools will help jog your memory and help you study: Lists Flashcards M.N.E.M.O.N.I.C.S.
- 9. Lists When memorizing dates, formulas, etc., some find it useful to use a two column list. By reading the list over several times and then covering up pieces of information so that you are forced to remember them can help you learn it more quickly.
- 10. Flashcards Flashcards work much like a list, but instead of putting the information on two columns, you put them on index cards using both sides. It is easier to quiz yourself with but requires time in making them. However, when writing it out you are also learning the information.
- 11. M.N.E.M.O.N.I.C.S. Mnemonics are techniques that help you memorize information more quickly. Types of mnemonic devices: Acronyms Acrostics Rhyme/Song
- 12. Acronyms Acronyms is where you use the first letter of the word to create a different word. Ex.) HOMES name of the Great Lakes Huron Ontario Michigan Erie Superior
- 13. Acrostics Acrostics are similar to an acronym except that instead of creating a word one can create a sentence. Ex. PEMDAS Order of Operations Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally Parenthesis Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction
- 14. Rhyme/Song Rhyme and song mnemonics put information in the form of a poem, rap, or song. Twinkle, twinkle little star, circumference equals 2 pi r.
- 15. Do It On Your Own Now that you know the different memorization strategies that you can use, try using them while studying for your next test. You will see that they will help you learn and memorize information more quickly so you can pass your tests!
View more >