how can you help your child be a successful reader?
out of 13
Post on 22-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- How can you help your child be a successful reader?
- Slide 2
- Read to or with them Parents are key reading role models. High frequency reading parents are six times more likely to have high frequency reading kids. (2008 Kids & Family Reading Report)2008 Kids & Family Reading Report
- Slide 3
- Expose them to reading materials! The more types of reading materials there are in the home, the higher students are in reading proficiency, according to the Educational Testing Service. 3 Children who grow up in homes where books are plentiful go further in school than those who dont. Children with low- education families can do as well as children with high-education families if they have access to books at home. (Family scholarly culture and educational success: Books and schooling in 27 nations)
- Slide 4
- Make reading fun !
- Slide 5
- Resources Scholastic.com Scholastic Storyline Online http://www.storylineonline.net/a-to-z-book- directory/?sort=titleb readingrockets.org Rrockets Can Do Helper Page http://www.candohelperpage.com/
- Slide 6
- Resources for kids Tumblebooks- school online database Fry Words from Alligator Apps Hungry Monster- word builders Spelling Magic 2
- Slide 7
- What your child should know before 1st grade starts: Be able to read books with patterns BOY Reading Level- D EOY Reading Level- J, K- Guided Know alphabet and letter sounds Know sights words.
- Slide 8
- Ways to help improve sight word recognition: Read often Fry Words App Flash cards/ word lists
- Slide 9
- Word lists
- Slide 10
- Ways to help your child finish a book. Choose a just right book. Allow them time to tell you about their book. Watch out for fake reading.
- Slide 11
- Ways to Improve Writing Provide opportunities for writing. Grocery list Letters to relatives Journal about summer events Write stories (Book Creator)
- Slide 12
- Slide 13
- Read to or with them
View more >