unconnected employee hurts your business-contactscount.com

Download Unconnected Employee Hurts Your Business-ContactsCount.com

Post on 09-May-2015

315 views

Category:

Business

1 download

Embed Size (px)

DESCRIPTION

Visit ContactsCount.com

TRANSCRIPT

  • 1.Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com Contacts Count LLC, 2013 How The Unconnected Employee Hurts Your Business

2. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com In This Executive Summary The Unconnected: who are they? 8 ways they hurt your business How training in connecting, conversing, & collaborating has enterprise-wide benefits What is The Network-Oriented WorkforceTM ? 5 things you can do to increase connection, conversation, and collaboration Whats next? 3. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com Who Are The Unconnected? People who Say, I feel shy & uncomfortable in business & social settings. (About 60% in the US) Gravitate toward the quiet careers Have more technological than interpersonal skills Must to take a larger role in business development & client acquisition Need as leaders & managers - much more robust & diverse networks Havent realized that strategic networking is a must- have tool that boosts organizational outcomes 4. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com Who Are We Talking About? 20% are Naturals network-building comes easily 71% are Neutrals willing to adopt a networking identity & learn the skills, if given the chance 9% are Naysayers Sorry, its not my thing 5. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 8 Ways The Unconnected Employee Hurts Your Business 6. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 1. No Big Picture Unconnected employees dont develop & use their connections to support and speed the execution of strategy. In high-growth organizations, 84% of employees know where the organization is headed; in low-growth organizations only 52% do. In Momentum, Inc. Strategic networking to help uncover & capitalize on new opportunities for the company puts the tools of networking in the service of business goals. How Leaders Create & Use Networks Ibarra and Hunter, Harvard Business Review 7. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 2. No Top-Line Focus Unconnected employees dont see themselves as part of a business development team or use their networks to attract clients. 30% of the consulting engineers bonuses depended on uncovering new business at client sites where they worked every day. Only 3 of the 35 engineers earned their full bonus. - An Ohio High-Tech Firm After attending a networking event with her 3 sales people and watching them talk with each other, check their phones, and graze at the buffet, the manager withdrew the teams $50,000 budget, until she was assured that they had learned how to connect and converse for business. - A Washington DC services company. 8. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 3. Dont Gather & Share Business Intelligence Unconnected employees spend your money going to conferences & meetings, but fail to gather & bring back best practices & business trends to help the organization. Even the most technology-savvy leaders rely on their own personal networks to find the best resource quickly. The human networks are what count. RosaBeth Moss Kantor, Harvard Business Review Determining the benefit & ROI to the conference provider is easy, & it isnt new. What is missing, however, is the ROI for those who make the conference successful, particularly the participants & the organizations that fund their trip. Dr. Patti Phillips, CEO of the ROI Institute, co-author of Show Me The Money 9. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 4. Produce Less Unconnected employees performance & productivity suffer. An MIT study found that employees with the most extensive personal digital networks were 7% more productive than their colleagues. However, employees with the most cohesive face-to-face networks were 30% more productive. How Social Networks Network Best Alex Pentland, MIT, Harvard Business Review Executives who consistently rank in the top 20% of their companies in both performance & well-being have diverse but select networks. Managing Yourself Rob Cross, Harvard Business Review 10. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 5. Are Out of the Loop Unconnected employees dont know who to go to or where to find resources to get the job done. Being intentional about developing relationship excellence that comes from connection is the key to unlocking corporate potential. The Connection Culture by Michael Lee Stallard Leaders who are skilled networkers have access to people, information, & resources to help solve problems and create opportunities. Center for Creative Leadership 11. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 6. Dont Work Across Boundaries Unconnected employees dont diversify their networks with regard to geography, age, gender, & function. 86% of senior leaders say that working across boundaries inside & outside their companies is extremely important. Just 7%, however, believe they are very effective at it. Working Beyond Borders, IBM Report Bigger is not better. The magic lies in the new ideas and perspectives that can come from connections into different networks. The Most Valuable People In our Network Rob Cross, Harvard Business Review 12. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 7. Are Invisible Unconnected employees dont know how to make their expertise known so it can be used. Employees have 3 choices: Intentional Disconnection, Intentional Connection, or Unintentional Disconnection. People often choose the latter, mostly because they dont have the skill & they dont have a connection culture. The Connection Culture by Michael Lee Stallard. The significant difference between high quality & poor quality decisions is how the decision-makers engage stakeholders. Harvard Business Review 13. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 8. Turn Off Co-workers Unconnected employees make unsuccessful managers & team mates. Successful managers spend 70% more time networking than their less successful counterparts. A Social Capital Theory of Career Success Seibert, Kraimer, & Linden, Academy of Management Journal In giver cultures, employees help others, share knowledge, offer mentoring, & make connections without expecting anything in return. Give & Take by Adam Grant 14. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com HOW SUPPORTING THE NETWORK-ORIENTED WORKFORCETM BENEFITS YOUR ORGANIZATION 15. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 5 Benefits of Internal Networking Fewer bureaucratic bottlenecks & silos Increased innovation via collaboration Maximum use of resources & expertise Freer information flow Stronger manager-employee relationships 16. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 5 Benefits of External Networking Access to best practices & new ideas Richer relationships with vendors & customers Highly vetted referrals Cross-pollination with diverse contacts Shared responsibility for business development 17. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com The Story So Far The unconnected employee hurts the organization in critical ways that impact enterprise success. Concrete benefits come from teaching employees the skills they need to claim their networking identities in the Network-Oriented WorkforceTM. 18. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com What Is The Network-Oriented WorkforceTM? The NOW is made up of people who, at their own discretion, exchange information, resources, support, and access. They intentionally create new value with others inside and outside the organization by skillfully creating purposeful connections, meaningful conversations, and effective collaboration. 19. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com How What We Do Links To The Big Picture Strategy Execution Innovation Engagement Competitiveness Collaboration Connection Conversation Key Business Issues Key People Enablers Commit to a Networking Identity Increase Social Acumen Engage People Communicate Expertise Take a Strategic Approach Leverage Four Networks Develop Trusting Relationships Create Organisational Value 8 NOW Competencies From Disconnected to Connected Employees 20. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com Five Things You Can Do NOW To Build Networking Competency in Your Workforce 21. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 1. Bring People Together Encourage these stakeholders to collaborate to power up The NOWTM: o HR & Talent Management o Learning & Development o Business Development o Sales & Marketing o Career Management o Diversity Initiatives & Affinity Groups o Mentoring & Leadership Development In a study of CEOs (1700+ CEOs across 64 countries in 18 industries) IBM found that to draw out the best in their workforces, CEOs choose cultivating a collaborative environment as one of the 3 most important attributes to focus on. Leading Through Connections 2012 Global CEO Study by IBM 22. Connect, Converse, & Collaborate in The NOW 2013 www.ContactsCount.com 2. Make Networking a Professional Competency Teach your employees state-of-the-art networking skills & tools. Conversation is what keeps the engine of value creation firing on all cylinders. Talk, Inc.: How Trusted Leaders Use Conversation to Power Their Organizations by Groysberg and Slind What really distinguishes high performers from the rest of the pack is their ability to maintain & leverage per