due Nov 25th @ 11:59 PM

• What to do when you’ve got the job!

• Interviews Nov 28th 29th, Dec 1st

• Informational Interview due Dec 9th @ 11:59 PM

And then we’re done!

Page 4: T8 Interviews

EMPLOYMENT INTERVIEWS

Page 5: T8 Interviews

EMPLOYMENT INTERVIEWWhen: Nov 28th, 29th and Dec 1st Where: Birmingham break out roomsWhat you MUST bring: Resume Cover Letter Job Posting Padfolio Pen Research Notes

25% of your

grade

Page 6: T8 Interviews

THE INTERVIEW PROCESS Check in with reception in Birmingham Be early! Ideally about 10 minutes. If you’re not there when the interviewer arrives, you will receive an automatic zero Interview is approximately 20 minutes long with one COMM 202 TA, BCC coach, or external consultant. Allot 30 minutes total! You can sign up for timeslots for interviews starting Nov 22nd @12:01 AM until Nov 24th @ 11:59 PM. You have the choice between a consultant or TA/coach Interview will consist of behavioural questions

Page 7: T8 Interviews

ATTIRE: BUSINESS FORMAL Dress pants or skirt with matching jacket Skirts should sit at or just above the knee Collared blouse or dress-material top tucked in or just below the waistline: tops should never hang below the hem of your jacket or show your stomach Dark pantyhose or tights when wearing skirts (winter) Flats or low-heeled shoes in leather or dress material

Dress pants with matching jacket Button-up collared shirt paired with a tie: white, beige or light blue are “safe” Ties with colours and tones should match suit and shirt – bold colours and patterns are acceptable Dress shoes in leather or dress material

Identify as women… Identify as men…

Page 8: T8 Interviews

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

Page 9: T8 Interviews

#1: TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF Most common interview question Can be asked in many different ways: ”Walk me through

your resume”; ”What’s your story”; “So who is Sarah?” Think about this one and practice!

Page 10: T8 Interviews

#1: TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF Keep it to 2 minutes or less Brand yourself - give them something to remember you

by Sound natural, not like you’re reading off a script – your

interviewer can tell! Speak to your skills and accomplishments Show passion Provide a well-rounded picture

Page 11: T8 Interviews

#1: TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF

Common Theme

The Beginnin

gThe

SparkGrowing Interest

Your Future

Why are you

here?

Goal: Tell them a story that is unique to YOU to impress your interviewer

Page 12: T8 Interviews

#1: TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELFThe

Beginning

The Spark

Growing Interest

Your Future

Why are you

here?

Introduction

Realization that this is the right career for youYour formula and how it has helped lead you to this role

Where you see yourself in 5, 10, even 20 years, or what you want to accomplish in your careerHow this position and this company ties into it all

Page 13: T8 Interviews

EXAMPLE

Entrepreneur

ial family

Case comp involvement

NVD +

486R +

people

Social impac

t

IT strate

gy

Connecting people and technology

Page 14: T8 Interviews

#1: TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELFGrading Rubric

I would consider you a strong candidate.

(3pts.)

I would like to interview you again. (2pts.)

I would not consider you a top candidate.

(1pts.)

I would not hire you. (0pts.)

TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF

Does the student provide an overview of their skills, fit and desire for the role?

The student provides a relevant “story” highlighting their passions, accomplishments, goals and fit to the organization in a concise manner (2mins or less)

The student provides a  “story” highlighting some but not all aspects in column one or answer waslonger than 2 minutes

Student provided a “story” that is not concise and is more than 2 minutes

Student fails to answer the question or answer is not coherent and is longer than 2 minutes

Page 15: T8 Interviews

#1: TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELFActivity: Grab a partner and swap “Tell me about yourself”

stories2.5 minutes for story telling + 1 minute for feedbackGoal: Convey the elements of the story in a logical way and experiment with finding your formula

Page 16: T8 Interviews

#1: TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF

What did you like?What would you do differently?

Any creative formulas?

Page 17: T8 Interviews

#2: WHAT ARE YOUR STRENGTHS? A way for the interviewer to tell if you know yourself and that you know

you have what it takes to do the job Can also be asked in different ways: “What makes you a strong

candidate for this job?”; “What skills can you bring to this job?”; “What do you consider your own keys to success?”

Prepare multiple strengths. There is no right answer: just good answers that can be backed up by

experiences

Page 18: T8 Interviews

#2: WHAT ARE YOUR STRENGTHS? Grading Rubric

I would consider you a

strong candidate.

(3pts.)

(1pts.)

STRENGTHS Is the student able to convey their brand and relevant skills/strengths for the role?

Student is able to choose strengths relevant to the position, gives a strong examples and communicates concisely

Student is able to choose strengths relevant to the position gives a strong example of execution but may lack link to the position

Student’s strengths may be irrelevant to the position and/or lacks proof of execution or link to the job opportunity

Student fails to provide strengths and strengths are totally irrelevant to the position

Page 19: T8 Interviews

#3: WHAT ARE YOUR WEAKNESSES?

Do not flip WEAKNESSES into

STRENGTHS!

Page 20: T8 Interviews

#3: WHAT ARE YOUR WEAKNESSES? A way for the interviewer to see if you are able to identify weaknesses

and have a plan in place to improve them Talk about weaknesses that weaknesses that would not impair you

from doing the job you are applying for well. Prepare multiple!

Page 21: T8 Interviews

#3: WHAT ARE YOUR WEAKNESSES?Bad weaknesses: “I’m such a perfectionist” “Too detail-oriented” “Over-achiever” “I work too hard sometimes”

Page 22: T8 Interviews

#3: WHAT ARE YOUR WEAKNESSES? Grading Rubric

I would consider you a strong

candidate. (3pts.)

(1pts.)

WEAKNESSES Is the student able to exhibit self-awareness and resilience in discussing past failures/weaknesses?

Student is able to choose a developmental area not key to the function of the position and share how they overcame the situation, the lesson learned andaction plan movingforward whiledemonstrating self-reflection and resilience

Student is able to choose a developmental area not key to the function of the position and share how they overcame the situation however is not able to articulate the  Lesson learned or  action plan moving  forward and/or student chooses cliché answers  

Student either chooses a skill essential to the position or was not able to clearly convey the lesson and/or their action plan for moving forward; student was unable to provide a weakness

Student fails to provide a clear answer and isn’t able to demonstrate any weaknesses clearly

Page 23: T8 Interviews

#4: TELL ME ABOUT A TIME WHEN…Situation

• What position and where were you?

Task

• What was the challenge you faced?

Action

• What did YOU do and how did you do it?

Result

• What was the accomplishment and the impact?

Link

• Why is this story relevant to the job?

S T A R L

Page 24: T8 Interviews

WILD CARD QUESTION

S T A R L

Page 25: T8 Interviews

#5: WILD CARD QUESTION Industry or job specific, or just a pleasant surprise! A way for the interviewer to gauge your interest and knowledge of

the position and industry Test your ability to communicate clearly Shows the interviewer how you think

Page 26: T8 Interviews

#5: WILD CARD QUESTIONGrading Rubric

I would consider you a strong candidate.

(3pts.)

(1pts.)

WILD CARD QUESTION

Does the student provide an overview of their skills, fit and desire for the role?

Student “aces” every opportunity to differentiate themselves during the interview: e.g., they offer a credible, logically organized, and concise answer for every question.

Student “handles” some opportunities to differentiate themselves during the interview: e.g., they offer credible and/or logically organized and/or concise answers for many questions.

They “miss” too many opportunities to differentiate themselves during interview: e.g., they offer widely varying answers in terms of credibility and/or  logical organization and/or conciseness

Student fails to provide a clear answer or doesn’t attempt to answer

Page 27: T8 Interviews

FINANCEWHAT ARE THE THREE WAYS TO VALUE A COMPANY?PITCH ME A STOCKSO MANY CURVEBALLS…

ACCOUNTINGWHY DO YOU WANT TO PURSUE YOUR CPA?WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK FOR X FIRM?WALK ME THROUGH AN ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CYCLE?

MANAGEMENT CONSULTINGHOW MANY WORDS ARE ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE NEW YORK TIMES?WHAT ARE YOUR 5 WEAKNESSES? … TELL ME ANOTHER … AND ANOTHERCASES

MARKETING HOW WOULD YOU INCREASE SALES OF X PRODUCT BY X%?SELL ME THIS PEN

TLOG WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO INCREASE OUR PRODUCTIVITY?HOW MANY CHAIRS ARE IN SAUDER?

HUMAN RESOURCES HOW SHOULD WE CHANGE OUR HIRING PROCESS?HOW WOULD YOU FIRE ME IF YOU HAD TO DO IT RIGHT NOW?

RANDOM QUESTIONS OR SCENARIOS

WOULD YOU RATHER GO SKY DIVING OR SCUBA DIVING AND WHY?HOW WOULD YOU DIVIDE A CAKE INTO 8 EQUAL PIECES WITH ONLY 3 KNIFE CUTS? [ROLE PLAYING A DECISION MAKING SITUATION]TELL ME ABOUT SOME NEWS YOU HAVE READ RECENTLY AND HOW IT RELATES TO THIS JOB?

Common Questions by Industry

Page 28: T8 Interviews

#6: DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS? Answer: YA YOU DO! Opportunity to turn it into a conversation Avoid asking questions you could find the answer to on Google An example of a good question: “What specific traits and qualities to

you look for in a successful candidate?” listen to what they say and link it back to you if it applies

Do not ask something that has already been addressed in the interview Always safe to get them talking about themselves – maybe ask

something directly related to their job/industry

Page 29: T8 Interviews

Thank them

Reiterate your

interest

End with a

handshake

Ask for their

business card

Ask if you can call to

follow up

Use their name

LAST STEP: CLOSING THE INTERVIEW

Page 30: T8 Interviews

FOLLOW UP! Send an email or handwritten card Reference the interview – something you want to emphasize or

something unsaid that you wanted them to know Reiterate your interest in the position Thank them for the opportunity Reference the answer they gave you to one of your questions If you interviewed with multiple people, make sure the follow up is

personalized to each person

Page 31: T8 Interviews

PRO TIPS

Remember your skills

matrix!

Guide the conversati

on

Listen to the

questions

Differentiate yourself

Be structured

in your answers