Sunday School Lesson 2009 08 16
Post on 15-May-2015
DESCRIPTIONJudges 6:14-16, 36-40; Matthew 16:1-4; Romans 12:1-2
- 1. August 16, 2009
2. Ministry Team News
- Grow Team : Sara Crane
- Serve Team: Dave Farr
- Breakfast Sign-up
- Missions Conference - Sept 25 - 27
- Womens Fall Retreat Oct 2 & 3
- Email Distribution List
4. Bcbc-sundayschool.blogspot.com 5.
- Prayer Requests
- Praise Reports
6. Last Weeks Homework
- Identify one unused skill that you have and watch for Gods opportunities to use it at work, at home, or at church.
- What issue are you facing now that you need to decide how to act?
- Group Breakout
9. The Cycle Israelites Sin Gods Punishment Israelites Repent Gods Deliverance 10. The Judges of Israel
- Othniel (3:7-11)
- Ehud (3:12-30)
- Shamgar (3:31)
- Deborah (chapters 4-5)
- Gideon (chapters 6-8)
- Tola (10:1-2)
- Jair (10:3-5)
- Jephthah (11:1 12:7)
- Ibzan (12:8-10)
- Elon (12:11-12)
- Abdon (12:13-15)
- Samson (chapters 13-16)
11. Judges 6
- God gives Israelites into the hands of the Midianites (v 1)
- Invaded like swarms of locust (v 4)
- Did not spare a living thing (v4)
- Israelites cry to the Lord (v 7)
- Angel of the Lord appears to Gideon (v 11)
- Gideon is threshing wheat in a winepress (v 11)
12. Focal Passage
- Judges 6:14-23; 36-40
13. Judges 6:14
- 14 The LORD turned to him and said, "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?"
14. Judges 6:15
- 15 "But Lord , " Gideon asked, "how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family."
15. Judges 6:16
- 16 The LORD answered, "I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together.
16. Gideons Response
- Gideon asks for and receives a sign to confirm God spoke to him
- Gideon obeys Gods command and breaks down his fathers alter to Baal and builds an alter to God
- The Midianites move in and prepare to raid the Israelites
17. Judges 6:36-40
- 36 Gideon said to God, "If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised- 37 look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said." 38 And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dewa bowlful of water.
18. Judges 6:36-40
- 39 Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew." 40 That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew.
- What do you think about Gideons approach to discerning Gods will?
- Is Gideons approach one we should try to emulate?
20. Gideons Story
- Eliminated the Midianites & Amelikites with just 300 men
- The land enjoyed peace for 40 years
- Gideon was credited for his faith (Hebrews 13:5)
- When you know in your head what God wants you to do but you still have a measure of uncertainty in your heart, what should you do?
22. Discerning Gods Will
- Make sure you are involved regularly in studying Gods Word (Ps. 119:105).
- Pray fervently (James 5:16).
- Be about doing what you already know to be Gods will (James 4:17).
23. Discerning Gods Will
- (1 Cor. 8:13) Could this cause someone else to stumble?
- (1 Cor. 10:31) Will this action bring glory to God?
- (1 Cor. 10:32-33) Could this damage my witness?
- (2 Cor. 5:10) Am I willing to stand before the judgment seat of Christ with this?
- (Col. 3:17) Can I do this in Jesus name?
- (1 Thess. 5:22) Does this have any appearance of evil?
24. Romans 12:1-2
- Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to Godthis is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will ishis good, pleasing and perfect will.
- Remember that Gods will isnt primarily about the outcome of the task, but the bowing of our hearts and wills in attitudes of submission and service to Godwherever He places us.
- Are you throwing out the fleece instead of doing what you know He has already called you to do?
- Prayerfully consider one action you will take this next week to seek and know Gods will.