South african wines
Post on 04-Sep-2014
- SOUTH AFRICAN WINES • South African Red Grape Varieties : Pinotage, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon. • South African White Grape Varieties : Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc. • Key Regions : Stellenbosch, Constancia, Robertson, Walker Bay. • Key Wines : Beyerskloof Pinotage, Cordoba Merlot Stellenbosch, Vergelen Cabernet Sauvignon. • Characteristics of South African : elegant, complex, similar in style to French wines with more fruit flavours.
- Cherry Plum Rose MERLOT Merlot gives soft, undemanding, easy-todrink wines with soft tannins.The best quality merlot tend to follow one of two styles • International Style : Some are made from grapes that are harvested as late as to generate the maximum degree of purple colour, blackberry and plum fruit, and soft, velvet-textured tannins, combined with a rich, full body due to high alcohol and concentrated fruit. • Bordeaux Style :The other approach is to harvest earlier and make a wine with lighter body and alcohol, but with higher acidity and more of a red fruit character ( raspberries, strawberries ) and even some vegetal flavours. The South African Merlot is capable of producing very dark, plummy wines,that are similar to Bordeaux style . Key regions : Stellenbosch Key wines : Cordoba, Meerlust.
- PINOTAGE THIS IS THE FLAGSHIP OF SOUTH AFRICA. This grape variety creates wines in a range of styles. It is sometimes blended with international varieties, as a part of a Cape Blend. On its own, typical Pinotage has a red berry fruit character, full bodied, with wich, spiced, berry fruit. Key South African Regions : Stellenbosch Key wines : Beyerkloof Blackberries Spices Pepper
- CHENIN BLANC The most planted vine of South Africa. It is capable of producing a broad range of wines from the bone-dry to great sweet wines. Wines made from Chenin Blanc tend to be high in acidity, with some vegetal notes, aromas of green apples and flavours of citrus notes. Late harvested sweet versions can have powerful aromas of exotic fruit flavours, pineapple, and their intense sweetness will be balanced by high acidity. Key South African Regions : Stellenbosch Key wines : Steen Op Hout Flowers Nuts Peach
- South African Sauvignon Blanc Sauvignon Blanc in South Africa is also grown with great success, showing a range of possible styles. Some are light, crisp and full of the grassy varietal character. Others take advantage of oak to supply strucuture and complexity, and are able to develop nutty and vegetal flavours in the bottle. Key South African Regions :Constancia. Key Wines : Steenberg, Buitenverwachting. Apple Grass Asparagus
- SPANISH WINES • Red Spanish grape varieties : Tempranillo, Carignan, Mourvèdre, Grenache. • White Spanish grape varieties : Parellada, Macabeo, Chardonnay. • Key regions : Penedes, Rioja, Ribera del Duero, Somontano, Navarra, Catalunya. • Key wines : cabernet sauvignon from Penedes, Chardonnay from Somontano
- SPANISH WINE GROWING REGIONS
- Grenache Blackberries Spices Herbs A strong grape variety for red wine that supports extrem heat. The grape has a thin skin with little colour in it, which makes it very suitable for producing rosé. The grape is ripening slowly and thus develop a high level of sugar. The wines are high in alcohol, very fruity, almost sweet taste. It tastes black berry and some pepper notes. Key Regions : Rioja, Navarra. Key Wines : Sangre de Toro Torres
- Carignan Deeply colour wines, powerful with strong tannins. Usually used as a blend, it brings some power and Character to the wine. It ripens quite late, so can only be grown in warm to hot climates. It gives wines that are high in acidity, tannin and colour. Key Regions : Catalunya Key Wines : Torres Sangre del Torro Pepper Plum Black pepper
- TEMPRANILLO Strawberries Spices Dried Fruit Tempranillo takes its name from the Spanish word Tremprano, which means early, and its great advantage is that it is early ripening. The wines are low in acidity, tastes strawberry, spices and it shows its best when blended with other varieties. Key Regions : Rioja, Navarra. Key Wines : Coronas Torres
View more >
A Guide To South African Wines PDF Guide To South African Wines A beginner's guide to south african wine serious eats, for many wine drinkers, south africa is a bit of a mystery a lot of stores have ...
Identification and physiological characteristics of heterofermentative strains of Lactobacillus from South African red wines
Application of a Headspace Sorptive Extraction Method for the Analysis of Volatile Components in South African Wines
Determination of sotolon content in South African white wines by two novel HPLC–UV and UPLC–MS methods
Characterization of Selected South African Young Cultivar Wines Using FTMIR Spectroscopy, Gas Chromatography, and Multivariate Data Analysis
The Complete South African Cookbook PDF Complete South African Cookbook The complete south african cookbook amazoncom, the complete south african cookbook [magdaleen van …
THE SOUTH AFRICAN BOARD OF TRADE AND INDUSTRIES; THE SOUTH AFRICAN CUSTOMS TARIFF AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF SOUTH AFRICAN INDUSTRIES
Emigration Estate Planning and Administration. Issues Estate Planning and Wills: South African and Non-South African assets South African requirements.
ACCOUNTABILITY IN SOUTH AFRICAN SCHOOLING. General propositions South African schooling is driven largely by supply-side measures South African schooling.