present perfectnad past
Post on 19-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Form and function
- ADAPTED FROM DPRICE AND ROSARIO,SLIDE
Present Perfect 2. ~form~
- Look at the following sentences in the present perfect.Can you form aruleto make this grammar?
- So far this semester, the students have worked hard in this class.
- Everyone has been through difficult experiences during their lives.
- Ive taught at ECC for six years.
3. The present perfect has2parts: have or has + past participle But . . . what does past participle mean? 4. Past participle forregular verbs:
- Past participle for regular verbs is the same form as the simple past tense.
- Regular verbs requireD/edin the end. What is the past participle for these verbs?
love walk wash 5. Past participle for irregular verbs:
- Past participle form for irregularverbs must be memorized.Do you know the past participle for these verbs?
go sit think Note:The simple past and the past participle forms arethe samefor certain verbs (i.e., teach, bring, have, send) 6.
- My friend Jill and I have been friends for many years.We met when we were just 14 years old. Through the years, weve shared a lot of great laughs and great experiences.She was with me when I graduated from high school.We were even roommates once. Jill has always supported me during the difficult times, too.Shes always listened to me and shes always given me good advice. This past summer we took a trip to Spain together. We had a great time and we plan to travel together again in the future.Were fortunate that weve developed such a great friendship over the years.I feel lucky to have a friend like her.
Find all the examples of the present perfect in the following paragraph. 7.
- Complete each sentence with the present perfect form of the verb given.Be sure to use has or have + the verb inpast participle .
- Some students at____________ (take) many English classes, while others ___________ (study) English for just a short time.
- 2.The cost of housing in JMM _____________ (get) more expensive in recent years.
have studied have taken has gotten 9.
- Alma________ (make) a real impact on the lives of many students.
- You all ________ (have)many accomplishmentsin your life.
has made have had 10. ~use~
- Often its difficult for ESL students to master when to use thepresent perfect vs. thesimple past tense .
- Lets look at some examples and think about themeaningof each tense.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.wasan activist whofoughtfor equal rights.Hespenthis entire life trying to make a difference for future generations.
Discuss the use of each tense in these examples. Dolores Huertahas foughtfor decades to improve the rights of migrant workers.Shejoinedforces with Cesar Chavez in the 1960s.Huertahas beenan important leader for American workers. 12. usage
- 1- Recent events : It is used to describerecent events without a definitetime .The idea of time or place in the speakers mind makes the event recent. A time expression may emphasize recentness:just, recently, lately
- Why are they so happy?
- They havejust won a prize sothey are really pleased
- 2-Personal experiences : It is used to express personal experiences,there is not a definite time given. The time expressions everandneverare very often used with this meaning
- I have never been to
- Have you ever been
- 3- It is used to express actions that started in the past and continue to the present, thetime period is not finished. We useforandsincewith this meaning. We useforwithperiods of timeandsincewithpoints of time.
- I havent eatensince yesterday
- morning. I am really hungry.
- I havent drunk anythingfor two days.I am terribly thirsty
15. present perfect vs. simple past?
- Which tense is used . . . ?
- 1.For action that is completed/finished?
- For action that started in the past but is still happening today?
- For action that has a connection to or is still relevant today?
- 4.With a specific date or point in the past?
present perfect present perfect simple past simple past