online learning @ erl
Post on 06-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONERL\'s impending use of Core Competencies and Web 2.0 technologies to train library staff on Online Resources. Presentation to Gulliver Workshop - Wednesday 2nd July - South Yarra Library.
- 1.Online Learning @ ERL
- Tell me
- Show me
- Let me
- Test me
- 176 staff across 16 service points
- Open 651.5 hours per week
- Yarra Junction branch to HQ = 45 km
- Petrol is $1.60 per litre. and rising..
- Training budget has been reduced
3. Time is Money 4. So what do we do?
- Blended Learning
- Live In-Person Instructor led classroom training or coaching and mentoring.
- Synchronous Virtual Collaboration Webcasts and video conferencing.
- Asynchronous Virtual Collaboration Online discussion boards and Wikis.
- Self-Paced Asynchronous Online tutorials and Online self assessments.
- Information fromWebJunction
5. 6. 7. Great but..
- We now have aWeb Links Wikion our homepage.
8. We have aReaders Corner Reviewsblog. 9. We haveBranch Blogs . 10. But technophobia still lurks in Library Land. 11. L2.0 iterations
- We have had 70 folk sign up for ERL Learning 2.0 but only 29 have so far finished.
- Due to lack of.
12. Core Competencies to the rescue. 13. Core Competencies Librarian!But how.?
- PLCMCs Core Competencies progamme devised by Lori Reed trainer extraordinaire.
- 4 tiers each building on the one before.
Core IV Core III Core II Core I 14. Core I
- Core I covers basic competencies, such as using KRONOS to enter timetable details, hardware and software knowledge, basic Internet, internal email, external email, telephone system, MONITOR system and word processing skills.
- Core I competencies are recommended for all staff of ERL.
15. Core II
- Core II covers competencies that are used in assisting the public, such as: using Symphony, iBistro, photocopiers/printers, EFTPOS terminals, cash registers, PC bookings and searching skills for subscription databases.
- Core II competencies are suggested for all staff that assist the public.
16. Core III
- Core III covers intermediate word processing skills and basic spreadsheet and presentation software skills.
- Core III competencies are suggested for all staff that assist the public.
17. Core IV
- Core IV covers more specific competencies, such as; Web 2.0, audiovisual setup, imaging computers, public technology training skills.
- Core IV competencies are suggested for all managers, supervisors, librarians and for other staff as identified by their supervisor.
18. Searching skills for subscription databases.
- Searching ERL Webpage Core II
- 1. Can access ERL Web Links Wiki knows when and how to use ERL Web Links Wiki to assist a library member with an enquiry.
- 2. Can access ERL online databases through the ERL Webpage knows how to login to the databases externally and internally.
- 3. Has successfully completed all units on online databases available on Online Learning @ ERL blog.
- 4. Can access ERLs Virtual Reference Library knows how and when to use ERLs VRL to assist a library member with an enquiry.
19. http://erlonlinelearning.blogspot.com 20. Tell me
- Introduction to the database
- What it is and what you would use it for
21. Show me
- Links to online demonstrations of the databases from the database vendors
- Sometimes found on the frontpage sometimes several layers down
- Mainly webcasts or pdf files of instructions
- Usually 5 to 10 minutes in duration
22. Let me
- Link to the ERL Online Resources page intention is to emphasise that this is where you find them
- Online Resources page is arranged according to subject
23. Test me
- Three questions based on the database
- Answers sent via email to the trainer
- Competency marked off
- Feedback given
24. 25. Time and Money II
- Time efficient training completed in the branch
- Cost efficient staff do not need to drive all over the countryside for training
- Quantifiable you either know how to change the toner cartridge. or you dont (and just need some training)
- Learning styles some people prefer OOO training (One on One) or group training
- Finding time all branches are v. busy
26. Work in Progress
- Core Competencies on ERL intranet to be constructed
- Core Competencies to be implemented in the next six months
- Investigating using vodcasts to assist with training ( Phone Training at Allen County Public Library )
27. Resources and Acknowledgements
- Lori Reed http://librarytrainer.com/
- The Cs of Our Sea Change: Plans for Training Staff, from Core Competencies to LEARNING 2.0 by Helene Blowers and Lori
- Reed -Computers in Libraries Vol 27 No 2, Feb 2007
- Helene Blowers http://www.librarybytes.com/
- Sarah Houghton- Jan http://librarianinblack.typepad.com/
- Technology Competencies and Training for Libraries Library Technology Reports April 2007
28. Web addresses
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=EramdKlwzS4 (Allen County Library)
- www.cclconlinelearning.blogspot.com(Casey Cardinia Libraries)
- http://findinginformation.wordpress.com(Yarra Plenty Libraries)
- www.erlonlinelearning.blogspot.com (Eastern Regional Libraries)