literature based reading activities
out of 30
Post on 24-Apr-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Engaging Students with Childrens Literature
- 2. Book Discussions . . .
- promote grand conversations;
- help develop or activate background knowledge;
- provide opportunities for reading, writing, speaking, and listening;
- promote higher level thinking;
- allow for heterogeneous groups;
- involve english-language learners.
- 3. Pre-reading activities
- 4. Anticipation Guide It is OK to hurt one person to protect many. __________ ____________ You should never do something that your parents have forbidden. __________ ____________ It would be wonderful to live forever. Disagree __________ Agree ____________
- 5. Opinionaires/Questionnaires
- What words best describe a bully?
- ___ heroic ___ wise guy ___ mean
- ___ conceited ___ unloved ___ spoiled
- ___ babyish ___ poor ___ wealthy
- Listed below are a few incidents that make some people feel bad. Which of them make you feel bad?
- ___ When someone you love is ashamed of you.
- ___ When people call you names.
- ___ When people act as if they are better than you.
- ___ When you are punished for something you did that you should not have done.
- 7. Contrast Charts
- Good Day
- 1. Had a good lunch
- Bad Day
- 1.Forgot my lunch
- 8. Immigrants Problems Traditions Ethnic Groups
- 9. KWL Chart What we learned What we want to know What we know
- 10. Preview/Predict/Confirm Chart bronco Cattle Boots Hat Clothes Horse cowboy Appeared in text? No Appeared in text? Yes Word Predictions
- 11. Book Boxes Book Bits Visuals/Web Sites
- During the Reading
- 13. Literature Maps Questions Will the baby bird find his mother? Will the baby bird get hurt? Will the baby bird get lost? Possible Mothers Kitten Hen Dog Cow Baby Bird Breaks out of shell Leaves nest and falls Cant fly Wants to find his mother Mother Bird Cares about her baby Goes off to find food
- 14. Character Map
- Planned his day
- No friends
- Wants love
- Likes to eat, spy, hide
- Not a merrymaker
- 15. Character Webs Doctor DeSoto cautious Puts pole in foxs mouth to keep it open Usually wont treat dangerous animals
- 16. Character Perspective Charts
- Main Character: Frances
- Problem: Her mother is serving foods other than her favorite bread and jam
- Main Character: Mother
- Problem: Her daughter wont try new foods
- 17. Double-Entry Journal
- Interesting information
- The strongest animal is an ant. It can carry five times its weight.
- I cant believe the ant is such a strong animal! I watch them in my yard. They do carry pretty big things .
- 18. Reading Log
- Does anything in this chapter remind you of something thats happened to you?
- I guess Im really lucky. I have been going to this school since kindergarten. I can just imagine how awful it would be to leave your friends and move to a new place.
- 19. Partner Journal
- Dear Journal Partner:
- This book is so cool! I have a diary, but Im not very good about writing in it. Do you suppose someone will want to publish it . .
- Dear Partner:
- I dont know who the phantom is. The book tells about bound boys who should . . .
- 20. Character Journal
- Student entry:
- I cant stand it. Dads making me take this dog back to that mean Judd Travers. Poor dog. I can tell he aint been treated right.
- 21. Feelings Chart Scared Frightened terrified Scared Afraid Panid Afraid Hopeful Thankful The huge tidal wave strikes the beach. Excited Surprised Unlucky Anxious Puzzled Curious Awful Bad Sad Ojiisan sets fire to the rice fields. Thankful Secure lucky Glad Happy playful Content Satisfied Happy The water was calm and the village children played in the gentle waves. Villagers Tada Ojiisan Events
- 22. Contrast Chart
- Reasons why Ira should take his teddy bear:
- Hes never slept without it.
- Theyre going to tell scary stories.
- His friends house is very dark.
- Reasons why Ira should not take his teddy bear:
- His friend will laugh at him.
- Hell think Ira is a baby.
- His friend will laugh at the bears name.
- 23. Post-reading Activities
- 24. Polar Opposites
- Ferdinand is
- Happy X __ __ sad
- He seems to be very happy as long as he can sit and smell flowers.
- Healthy X __ __ unhealthy
- He is big and strong which means he must be healthy.
- Fierce __ __ X tame
- Ferdinand likes to sit. He is not interested in fighting.
- 25. Quotation Shares
- Each student selects passage to share
- Practices reading aloud
- Shares with group
- Tells why he/she chose the passage
- 26. Literary Report Card Omri spent too much time thinking about Little Bear. C Attentiveness in school Omri took excellent care of Little Bear. A Responsibility Omri solved many problems such as how to feed and provide shelter. A Creativity Omri valued the Indian as a real person with real feelings. A Respect for others Omri constructed a beautiful tepee for the Indian. A Arts and Crafts Comment Grade Omri Area
- 27. Plot Organizer The war ends. Annemarie learns Uncle Henrik explains the Resistance Peter visits after curfew and tells the.. Calm Running from home, Ell
View more >