irregular verb presentation
Post on 14-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Irregular Verbs Mini Lesson By: Frank Barbrie
2. ReviewPAST TENSE
- A verb tense used to express an action or a condition that occurred in or during the past
- Past tense show actions or events at a specific time in the past.
- The actions or eventsSTARTorSTOPat aspecific timein the past.
- We learned in previous lessonsto change aregular verbsto the past tense we add ed to the end of the verbfor example:
- Present tense:Iplayfootball everyday.
- Past tense : Iplay (ed)football yesterday.
4. NOTE TO REMEMBER :There are no rules that exist to form the past tense forirregular verbs.
- Irregular verbs dont follow a pattern in the simple past tense like regular verbs dothey are very different. You cant simply add ed to the verb to show action in the past tense.
- It is necessary to recognize and memorize these verbs .
5. READ THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES.
- Sentences with irregular verbs (present tense) .
- Irunto school.
- Irunin the morning.
- Irunfive miles everyday.
- I runn(ed) to school. (This is incorrect) because run is an irregular verb.
- Sentences with irregular verbs in the past tense (past tense)
- Iranto school.
- Iranin the morning.
- Iranfive miles yesterday.
- Notice: No ed was put at the end of the verb.
- The following 10 examples are irregular verbs :
- Simple form Past form Past participleis/be was/were been
- Heisin Londontoday .
- Hewasin Londonyesterday .
- Hehas beenin Londonfor a week .
8. eat ate eaten 9. Practice
- Heeatshot dogseverydayfor lunch.
- Heatehot dogsyesterdayfor lunch.
- Hehas eatenhot dogsall weekfor lunch.
10. get got gotten 11. Practice
- Andrewgetsa large checkevery month .
- Andrewgota large checklast month .
- Andrewhas gottena large checkevery month this year.
12. go went gone
- Go went gone
- Frankgoesto Japan every summer.
- Frankwentto Japanlast summer .
- Frankhas goneto Japan thelast 10 summers .
14. know knew known 15. Practice
- Iknowthe answers ontodays test.
- Iknewthe answers ontodays test .
- Ihave knownthe answers to todays testfor a week.
16. ring rang rung 17. Practice
- Johns phoneringsa lot.
- Johns phonerang every hour .
- Johns phonehas rung forthe past 24 hours .
18. throw threw thrown 19. Practice
- Inouethrowshis opponents.
- Inouethrewhis opponents intodays match .
- Inoue has thrown his opponent every match thistournament .
20. win won won 21. Practice
- Iowawins90% of their dual meet matches.
- Iowawon90% of their dual meet matcheslast season.
- Iowahas won90% of their dual meet matches forthe last 25 years .
22. teachtaughttaught 23. Practice
- Mr. Barbrieteaches6 thgrade Reading.
- Mr. Barbrietaught6 thgrade Readinglast year .
- Mr. Barbriehas taught6 thgrade Reading for5 years.
24. write wrote written 25. Practice
- Irvine Welshwritesmany interesting stories.
- Irvine Welshwrotemany interesting storiesin the late 90s.
- Irvine Welshhas writtenmany interesting storiesfor the past 20 years.
26. Studentsplease tell me
- A hobby you like to do.
- Something you did last night.
- Something you have done many years.
- Please write your answers in your notebooks .
- Partner with someone sitting next to you.
- One student will ask the three questions written in their note book, while the other student reads their answers from the notebook.
- Now switch
28. ONE MORE TIME!
- Switch partnersfind someone else in the class to practice your Q&A.
29. Please finish the worksheet
- Name_______________________________________ DATE________
- IRREGULAR VERBS WORKSHEET
- Fill-in the blank:
- WORD BANKwent, written, taught, knew, gotten, rung, won, ate, threw, was
- Frank _________ a hamburger for lunch this afternoon.
- Alisa_________ a gold medal at the track meet yesterday.
- Akemi has________ straight As on all her English test this year.
- She __________ the correct answers to the test questions.
- The Griswolds_______ on vacation to Japan last summer.
- My cell phone hasnt_________ all day.
- I ________myself Japanese 14 years ago.
- Cael Sanderson________ his opponent to their back in the 2004 Olympic final wrestling match.
- Harry has _____________many articles for the Birmingham news paper over the past 10 years.
- Nick___________ the strongest kid in the class last year.
- Make three sentences of your own. Use words from the WORD BANK.