Post on 12-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis Powerpoint was my enrichment project presentation, at Western Connecticut State University\'s (WCSU) 2009 writers residency. The enrichment project is a component of WCSU\'s Professional Writing Program. For my enrichment I wrote, produce, and directed the short film, After the Headlines. After the Headlines, is about a mother\'s struggle to move past her emotional trauma after the tragic death of her teenage daughter. The film is currently in post-production.
- 1.Enrichment Project: After the Headlines A short film written and directedby Aaliyah Miller
2. Unfortunately the scheduled short film is not ready for viewing at this time. 3. My Creative Process
- My Inspiration for After the Headlines
- Writing the script(an outline and timeline)
- Post-production(Still in the process)
4. My Inspiration
- ATH (After the Headlines) is loosely based on a series of articles I read in the Hartford Courant.
- Initially I wanted to develop the script as a feature (which I still plan on doing).
- I found a short scriptwriting contest online in which writers were given a week to write a screenplay 15 pages or less. My genre was drama and my subject was newspaper clippings.
- After the Headlines was born (See handout).
- Develop film budget
- Plan three-day shoot
- Storyboard the script
- Find film locations
- Hire cast and crew
- Develop scene breakdown, shot list, and shooting schedule
- Set design
- Read-thru of script with cast
- Rewrites to the script
6. Production of ATH 7. Production: First Day
- Crew arrives and everyone loads in
- Set-up location (props, furniture, and wardrobe and lights for first scene of the night (this can take a while)
- Check sound (absolutely crucial)
- Six scenes were shot on the first night
- Two locations (AFT studios in Rocky Hill, CT and Kim Dorfmans home in New Britain, CT
- We started at 6 p.m. and finished at 2
8. ATH Production Stills Day One 9. First scene: The script supervisor checks the talents clothing. News background will be added in post-production. 10. We watch the scene playback on the monitor. 11. Since there was no directors clap board, Lawrence, a co-producer, gets creative and makes his own. 12. Sound rolling.lights, camera, and then action. 13. Tim (location sound) records audio for news anchor scene. 14. I talk to actors about the support group scene. 15. I check out the support group meeting in the monitor. 16. Cast and crew in AFT studios parking lot for exterior scene. 17. Cast and crew watch a playback of the scene on the monitor. 18. Brandy begins to apply Mikas special effects make-up. 19. The finished product. Now Mika has to wait for the crew to set up. 20. Mika patiently waits for action. 21. More special effects make-up for Alexis slit wrists scene. 22. Production: Second Day
- 10 a.m. call time for cast and crew
- Eat breakfast and set-up first shot
- 15 scenes were shot on the second day(a very long day)
- Our two set locations included Brandy Devoids residence (Claras house) and Black Rock Center (coroner scene, hospital waiting room scene, sessions with Dr. Braxton, and exterior shots)
- Changed shot list due to rain
23. ATH Production Stills Day Two 24. A shot of the table for film continuity. 25. Looking over the script with Brandy (assistant director) and Melissa (script supervisor). 26. Crew standing by.. 27. I am not sure what Im looking at. 28. Brandy with Mika in make-up for the coroner scene. 29. Mom takes a picture of Mika before she shoots the coroner scene. 30. Mika plays dead. 31. Clara meets with the doctor. 32. Watching the scene on screen. 33. Jaye (Clara) catches a nap. 34. Time to eat, wheres the grub? 35. Alex sets up a light for the final scene of the night. 36. Production: Final Day
- Crew call was 9 a.m.
- Shot 13 scenes
- Locations were Brandys residence, Bridgeport, CT and Kims residence, New Britain, CT
- Kim made the crew lunch (kudos)
- Martini shot (last shot of the production) happened at around 7:30 p.m.
- Plan to log and digitize the DV tapes
37. ATH Production Stills Final Day 38. Clara walks through Alexis room. 39. Jaye with Mika before they shoot a scene. 40. Melissa and I are in Kims hallway waiting for the next take. 41. Alexis messy bedroom (actually Mikas brothers room). 42. Tim caught in the messy hallway. 43. Keith, Elvis, and I watch the take in the cold. 44. Neal and Melissa look at footage. 45. Jaye and I talk about the last scene to be shot. 46. Its a wrap.. 47. Post-Production
- Footage has been logged and digitized for the editor (with the exception of the coroner scene)
- The editor is working on the first cut of the film (hopefully it will be doneby the end of January)
- Ive begun to work with Dmitry, the storyboard artist, on the artwork for the DVD cover
- I may need to re-shoot some scenes for continuity and better production value.
- Develop a media kit for film festival submissions
48. 49. THE END.. FOR NOW