can social media make utilities sexy again?
out of 41
Post on 01-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThe slides were my intro for the panel discussion on social media for utilities at the 2013 International SAP for Utilities event in Copenhagen
- 1. Tom Raery, Principal Analyst RedMonk1Can Social make utilitiessexy again?
- 2. Principal analyst, RedMonk GreenMonk.net twitter.com/tomraftery firstname.lastname@example.org +34 677 695 468 SlideShare.net/TomRaftery2Tom RafteryBullet points - sorry!More Bullet points on this slide than on the rest of the entire deck!Prob wont have time for qs at end - will hang around but here are my contact details in case you cant stay
- 3. 3What I had for breakfast?Photo - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zanehollingsworth/3435030263/People often belittle Social Media saying - it is full of ppl saying what they had for breakfastHow many ppl empathise?
- 4. 4What I had for breakfast?http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/bd5a5ce2-aa57-11e1-899d-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2OAlD9lavGood article with lots of big data references in generalT-Mobile in US analysed its 33m customer data records, web logs, billing data and social media information to predict customer defectionsIt halved customer defections in a single quarter
- 5. 5Facebookhttp://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57566550-93/facebook-by-the-numbers-1.06-billion-monthly-active-users/1.06 billion monthly active users (MAU) as of December 31, 2012618 million daily active users (DAU) for December 2012680 million mobile MAUs as of December 31
- 6. 6Facebookhttp://www.insidefacebook.com/2013/01/30/facebooks-global-growth-in-q4-1-06b-mau-mobile-surpasses-web/In Dec 2012 Mobile DAUs exceededweb DAUs for the rst time
- 7. 7Twitterhttp://hide.dyndns.info/tweetcounter/index-en.cgiIncreasing tweets per day over the last year
- 8. 8Analyticshttp://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2012/07/26/social-media-for-the-innovative-cio/Theres no such thing as information overload - only lterfailure.Clay Shirky, Prof NYU,Fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society
- 9. 9So what?What are the use cases?
- 10. 10Customer Servicehttp://www.bge.com/
- 11. 11Customer Servicehttps://twitter.com/mybge
- 12. 12Customer Servicehttps://twitter.com/MyBGE/status/264406364514828290Gives ppl ETRs via TwitterNot new, was doing this last yr in response to Irene as well
- 13. 13Customer Servicehttps://www.facebook.com/myBGE>10,600 likes - also v interactive
- 14. 14Customer Servicehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mybge/8159451822/Over 300 photos tagged Hurricane Sandy
- 15. 15Customer Servicehttp://www.youtube.com/BALTIMOREGASELECTRIC
- 16. 16Customer Servicehttp://www.linkedin.com/company/5115?trk=nullPull their SM resources together nicely here
- 17. 17Brand Managementhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUEThis ad alone has had 43m views
- 18. 18AusgridVideo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXogX1WBcZA
- 19. 19Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXogX1WBcZAAusgridHas had well over 20,000 views!
- 20. 20Greying workforcePhoto credit http://www.flickr.com/photos/goflorp/3865042877/Recruitment issues urgent becauseIn the U.S. energy sector, more than a third of the workforce already is over 50 years old - http://hbr.org/2008/02/managing-demographic-risk/ar/1U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: In the US approx 30-40% of the work force in the electric utility sector will retire in the next 10 yearsAnd aging infrastructure
- 21. 21BoringPhoto credit http://www.ickr.com/photos/vmcamposjr/3630714365/Perception of Utility companies
- 22. 22RecruitmentPhoto http://www.ickr.com/photos/legofenris/4003590489/Brand and aging workforce issues have follow-on consequences for recruitment/retention
- 23. 23RetentionPhoto http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephanridgway/4110712532/David Legge - Fortis BC - guy walking out of interview
- 24. 24RetentionTwitter as news/info gathering medium
- 25. 25Retentionhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/traftery/5467650475/For millennials - blocking SM is like putting a rotary dial phone on their desk with a lock on the dial
- 26. 26Retentionhttp://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2012/07/26/social-media-for-the-innovative-cio/Twitter is a primary source to gather information aboutchanges in my industry. It helps the organization staycurrent with the latest trends and thinking.Casey Coleman, CIO of the U.S. General Services AdministrationDont take my word for it
- 27. 27CollaborationPhoto http://www.flickr.com/photos/dabhaid/314923760/Social media can be powerful way to share info within orgsAnd stop co losing info when ppl leave
- 28. 28CollaborationIBM internal blogsTag clouds - recommendations, similar blogsIBM has 20k internal blogs - running blog program 9 yrs
- 29. 29Collaborationhttps://www.chatter.com
- 30. 30Collaborationhttp://www.successfactors.com/business-execution-software/jam/jamoverview/
- 31. 31Collaborationhttps://docs.google.com/2 ppl working on a spreadsheet remotelyIn a browserAnd chatting
- 32. 32Energy Management
- 33. 33Energy ManagementWhat-if Energy apps had:Ability to share to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etcLeaderboards?Achievement badges?Targets and scores?With increased information and fun factor - people become more engaged -> the MTKD is prolonged
- 34. 34Gatoradehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InrOvEE2v38
- 35. 35Dellhttp://readwrite.com/2011/07/21/how-dell-really-listens-to-itsDell has 70 employees, processing 25,000 social media events in 11 languagesBased on Radian6
- 36. 36Utilitieshttp://greenmonk.net/2012/11/01/sustainability-social-media-and-big-data/GEs Grid IQ Insight can mine social media for mentions of outagesGives early notications of an outage in an areaIf geotagged and/or includes images/video can conrm cause of outage and speed up time to resolution
- 37. 37Utilitieshttp://greenmonk.net/2012/11/01/sustainability-social-media-and-big-data/
- 38. 38Conclusionand your org can be the sexy utility on the block.
- 39. 39As well as business advantages, social can makeutilities sexy once more!Conclusion
- 40. 40Tom Raftery - RedMonkSteven Pratt - CenterPoint EnergyMartijn van Glabbeek - AllianderJames McClelland - SAPPanel
- 41. Thanks!Contact information:Tom RafteryPrincipal Analyst, Energy & Sustainability, RedMonkTom@redmonk.com,GreenMonk.net,Twitter.com/tomraftery+34 677 695 46841
View more >
Calendari sexy 2019 - Donne sexy, uomini sexy, hard, soft ... ?· Title: Calendari sexy 2019 - Donne…