what is writing to learn? why use writing to learn? what are some writing to learn...
out of 12
Post on 16-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- What is writing to learn? Why use writing to learn? What are some writing to learn instructional tools and strategies? What can writing to learn tell us about student learning?
- Slide 3
- I can explain how writing to learn is a powerful tool for improving both reading and content learning. I can demonstrate this understanding in unit and lesson planning.
- Slide 4
- Checkmate By Alfred Tatum He taught me how to play chess when I was younger To make all the right moves The rooks, the knights, the pawns, the bishops I could castle and use my bitch my Queen to protect myself All of these thoughts flashed in my mind when the car pulled up beside us Its 12:15 a.m. I am eighteen, sitting on the passengers side No where to move, no strategy I thought about learning chess when I was younger The young man in the other car lifts his handschecker hands, TIC-TAC-TOE hands I was no match for him I thought my scholarship letter would save meit was my next move My buddies scream first Im hit next Checkmategame ov...
- Slide 5
- Three Types of Writing Writing to learn Writing to demonstrate learning Writing for authentic purposes What are the major differences? How would you include each in your instruction?
- Slide 6
- Role-Play Video
- Slide 7
- Role-Play Video
- Slide 8
- Reading Strategies PKMaking connections to prior knowledge and developing schema I/PInferring and predicting QAsking questions before, during, and after reading SDetermining important ideas and summarizing VVisualizing S/RSynthesizing and retelling M/CMonitoring and clarifying understanding of text
- Slide 9
- Writing to Learn
- Slide 10
- Slide 11
- Slide 12
- Graham, S., & Hebert, M.A. (2010). Writing to read: Evidence for how writing can improve reading. A Carnegie Corporation Time to Act Report. Washington, DC: Alliance for Excellent Education. Graham, S., & Perin, D. (2007). Writing next: Effective strategies to improve writing of adolescents in middle and high schoolsA report to Carnegie Corporation of New York. Washington, DC: Alliance for Excellent Education. Kopp, B. (2010). Writing & Learning @ UW-L. Retrieved from http://www.uwlax.edu/catl/writing/assignments/writingtolearn.htm http://www.uwlax.edu/catl/writing/assignments/writingtolearn.htm. 2 June 2010. The National Commission on Writing for Americas Families, Schools, and Colleges, The Neglected R: The Need for a Writing Revolution 19 (2003), available at http://www.writingcommission.org/report.html (last visited June 02, 2010) Tatum, A. (2009). Reading for their life: Rebuilding the textual lineages of African American adolescent males. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
View more >
Journal Writing. What is Journal Writing Journal writing is a learning tool based on the ideas that students write to learn. Students use the journals
What you will learn - Hospice you will learn ... •Comparison charting •Subjective writing ... •Helps know where to focus education and process changes
Poetry Writing - Writing What Is Poetry? ... Genre purpose To communicate the poet’s innermost thoughts and feelings; ... Express their emotions through writing Learn
GRAMMAR AND WRITING - ?· When grammar and writing are learned and integrated, ... what they learn in…