Yr9 - electricity and circuit basics
Post on 07-Aug-2015
- 1. Dr Pusey www.puseyscience.com
- 2. Definitions Electricity = The flow of charge through an electrical conductor Circuit = a path through which electricity flows What are the requirements for a circuit? Power source, produces a charge imbalance Complete path of conducting material Two main types of circuit Series Parallel
- 3. Important Words Voltage The potential for electricity to flow. Measured in Volts Water Analogy: The amount of pressure pushing the water through the pipe http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/watcir2.html
- 4. Important Words Current The flow of charge through a conductor Measured in Amperes/Amps Water Analogy: The amount of water that water rushes through the pipe per second. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/watcir2.html
- 5. Important Words Resistance The resistance to the flow of current through a conductor Measured in Ohms Water Analogy: The size of the pipe http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/watcir2.html
- 6. More about Components Batteries are the power source. A circuit will not work without a battery. Resistors restrict the current. Variable resistors can change resistance, like a dimmer switch for your light Voltmeters measure the voltage applied to something. They must be on the outside of the circuit Ammeters simply tell you how much current is going through them, so they need to be inside the circuit Lamps convert electricity into light energy. The more current, the brighter the light!
- 7. Circuit symbols DRAW THIS! V A Open Switch Closed Switch Light (Lamp) Ammeter Voltmeter Fuse Battery Cell Resistor Variable Resistor
- 8. Example 1 Turn this picture into a circuit diagram using the appropriate symbols
- 9. Example 2 Turn this picture into a circuit diagram using the appropriate symbols
- 10. Example 2 Turn this picture into a circuit diagram using the appropriate symbols
- 11. Example 3 Label the following circuit diagram
- 12. Example 3 Label the following circuit diagram
- 13. Quick Quiz Draw the circuit for a torch. Include a battery, a lamp and a switch.
- 14. Quick Quiz Draw the circuit for a torch. Include a battery, a lamp and a switch.
View more >
Basics of Electricity/Electronics nbsp; Winkler, Basics of Electricity/Electronics Workshop, p.2 Basics of Electricity/Electronics What is electricity? To answer this
BASICS OF INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICITY AND TROUBLESHOOTING ... of industrial electricity and . troubleshooting electrical control ... dc power sources ... basics of industrial electricity and troubleshooting electrical ...
electricity and magnetism - ? 4. Balloons: static electricity 5. Electric circuit: current electricity