why engagement is good business
out of 33
Post on 21-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Why EngagementIs Good BusinessONACamp PhoenixNovember 8, 2014
- 2. Read more about it stevebuttry.wordpress.com slideshare.net/stevebuttry @stevebuttry firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3. 3 types of engagement Engage community in our journalism Engage community in marketing efforts(news & biz collaboration) Help business customers engage w/ ourcommunity
- 4. What is engagement?
- 5. Whats the payoff? Better journalism Increased traffic (ad impressions) More time w/ content (more value) Expand audience Improve brand
- 6. Live coverage Berkshire Eagle murder trial: 25Kengagement hours News-Herald: Jan-Feb: from 7 to 24 liveevents, 35K to 83K engagement minutes Dorner manhunt: 4.7M minutes Gettysburg 150: 5 days, 35K+engagement minutes daily, peak of 96K+
- 7. Liveblogging situations Breaking story Meeting Event (festival, march, concert, trial) Daylong (Election Day, weather) Sporting event (can use fans, bloggers,HS journos) Live chat
- 8. Community network Community supplements your coverage& fills gaps Community network can drive traffic toyour sites (offer widgets) Opportunities to sell advertising incommunity blog network
- 9. Host some group blogs Community clubs Community religious organizations Youth sports teams Neighborhood groups Music (marching bands, church choirs,garage bands, youth recitals) What else?
- 10. Dont forget the promotional &commercial value of goodjournalism
- 11. CT Twitter study: Newsroom accounts mostly heads & links @5thDistrictCT conversational (links tocompetition, RTs, replies, great info) @5thDistrictCT = 2x to 10x more referralsper Twitter follower
- 12. Tips for being conversational: Monitor @ mentions & reply (answerquestions, thank for links, address critics) Make link posts conversational Reply & RT RT competition, community bloggers Ask questions
- 13. Social media = journo tool1. Livetweet events &breaking news2. Search3. Crowdsource4. Monitor communityconversation5. Curate6. Hashtags7. Lists8. Embed tweets instories9. Photos & videos10.Verification
- 14. Promotion also matters Posting photos increases engagement onTwitter Posting links (that pull in good photos)works best on Facebook (for now) Experiment & watch metrics to learn besttimes & ways to post
- 15. Market your content Community Facebook groups, pages National niche groups, pages Hashtags that reach interested audiences Comments on related blogs Emails (or social media messages) tobloggers, influencers Check Klout for influencers
- 16. Contest possibilities Holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving,Christmas, Valentines, Mothers Day,Fathers Day, July 4) Seasons (fall colors, winter photos, etc.) Children, pets Sports Treasure hunts
- 17. Contest tips Photo contests rock Facebook works (brings new likes, helpsyou in news feed algorithm) Which is better judging or voting? Experiment, learn, laugh Dont forget the print product
- 18. Contest sponsorships Get advertiser(s) to provide prizes Event at sponsors business What else?
- 19. engagement
- 20. Business opportunities Social media agency for local businesses FB, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat accountsoffering local bargains Local search Transactions for local businesses
- 21. Content for hire Blogs for local businesses (your site &theirs) Expert content for businesses (stories,videos) Live content for businesses Apps for local businesses Commissioned obits, life stories
- 22. Protect your integrity Separate content-for-hire staff Set standards (accuracy, corrections) Label content on your site as sponsored Continual conversation about ethics Be explicit about protecting editorialintegrity Who cant be customers?
- 23. Read more about it stevebuttry.wordpress.com slideshare.net/stevebuttry @stevebuttry email@example.com
View more >
Why Does Employer Engagement Matter? - The ?· Why Does Employer Engagement Matter? A tool kit for managing…