the maori creation_story
out of 12
Post on 05-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Contemporary Traditional Maori Culture,Part 2 "The Maori Creation Story:TheSeparation of Heaven and Earth By:Larry Garcia 1-31-12 Culture and Geography
- 2. (According to Maori tradition)"All humans aredescended from one pair of ancestors Rangi and Papa,who are also called Heaven and Earth."
- 3. "In those days,Heaven and earth clung closely together, and all was darkness."
- 4. "Rangi and Papa had six sons:(1) Tane-mahuta,the father of the forests and their inhabitants";
- 5. "(2)Tawhiri-ma-tea,the father of winds and storms";
- 6. "(3)Tangaroa,the father of fish and reptiles";
- 7. (4)Tu-Matauenga,the father of fierce human beings";
- 8. "(5) Haumia-tikitiki,the father of food that grows without cultivation";
- 9. "(6) and Rongo-ma-tane,the father of cultivated food."
- 10. "In the beginning these six sons and all other beingslived in darkness for an extremly long time, able only to wonder what light and vision might be like."
- 11. After a battle between the six sons,Tu-matauengaate 4 of his brothers as food, sparing Tawhiri-ma-tea, the father of winds and storms.
- 12. This is why today people are fierce and havewar,why people eat plants and animals, and why there are storms.
View more >
Maori firms as enablers of Maori self-determination: What ...img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/1302/Maori_firms_as_enablers_of_Maori...Maori firms as enablers of Maori self-determination: What lies beyond the ... of the long-held ... potential to be effective enablers of Maori self-determination
INDIGENOUS HEALTH IN NEW ZEALAND: Maori, for Maori' HEALTH IN NEW ZEALAND: 'by Maori, for Maori' Understanding Maori culture and empowering Maori nurses has helped New Zealand's indigenous people
Kowhaiwhai Tuturu Maori - maori-arts.commaori-arts.com/securesite/MMA/Maori_ آ Tuturu Maori Index Introduction