THE APOSTLE PAUL Session 3 Question: What does Paul say about Jesus? Objectives: To provide an overview of Christological themes in Paul’s letters. To.
Post on 17-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- THE APOSTLE PAUL Session 3 Question: What does Paul say about Jesus? Objectives: To provide an overview of Christological themes in Pauls letters. To show what is distinctive to each letter and similarities across letters.
- Slide 2
- REVIEW: CHRISTOLOGY IN THE FOUR GOSPELS MARK: Jesus as the crucified Son of God JOHN: Jesus as the Word made flesh MATTHEW: Jesus as the revealed Torah, the Wisdom of God LUKE: Jesus as the Spirit- empowered prophet
- Slide 3
- INTRODUCTORY COMMENTS
- Slide 4
- Pauls apostolic mission William Blake
- Slide 5
- The OT expectation of a new messianic age of the Spirit Beth Emeth
- Slide 6
- Christ is the one in whom Gods people are summed up
- Slide 7
- The new messianic age of the Spirit had in principle dawned with Jesus being raised from the dead Easter Morning He Qi
- Slide 8
- Pauls mission to proclaim the gospel to the Gentiles and establish congregations among them was so that they could in fact become the first fruits of this new creation. Calling St. Paul He Qi
- Slide 9
- AN OVERVIEW OF OUR DISCUSSION OF PAULS LETTERS Paul addresses a Jewish- Christian congregation with Gentile converts Galatians (48-49 or mid-50s CE?) Paul addresses Gentile congregations 1 Corinthians (54 CE) Philippians (late 50s or early 60s CE?) Pauls mature work Romans (late 50s) A guiding framework for our course 2 Corinthians (mid- 50s)
- Slide 10
- SOTERIOLOGICAL SYMBOLS IN PAUL SOCIAL METAPHORS BIOLOGICAL METAPHORS Reconciliation = Atonement Reconciliation = Union ForgivenessNew Adam LiberationDying and rising
- Slide 11
- THE SHIFT FROM THE OLD AGE TO THE NEW AGE OLD AGE Belonging to this age NEW AGE Belonging to Christ Law-Sin-Death Male/Female Slave/Free Jew/Greek Power/Weakness Wisdom/Foolishness Etc. in Christ-in the Spirit Body of Christ Mind of Christ Hope = Faith working in love Etc.
- Slide 12
- GALATIANS Should gentile converts be circumcised?
- Slide 13
- Law or Faith?
- Slide 14
- The Purpose of the law Chagall
- Slide 15
- Heirs and children of God Gal 4:6; Kirsten Malcolm Berry
- Slide 16
- The Allegory of Hagar and Sarah Sarah Presenting Hagar to Abraham Adriaen van der Werff (1699)
- Slide 17
- 1 CORINTHIANS An appeal for unity
- Slide 18
- An appeal for reconciliation Paul Fryer
- Slide 19
- The Lords Supper
- Slide 20
- Resurrection Risen Lord He Qi
- Slide 21
- FRIENDSHIP PHILIPPIANS
- Slide 22
- Imitating Christs Humility
- Slide 23
- Breaking with the Past The Conversion of Paul William Blake
- Slide 24
- 2 CORINTHIANS A guiding framework for the course
- Slide 25
- The ministry of the new covenant Watanabe
- Slide 26
- The ministry of our bodies Resurrection He Qi
- Slide 27
- The ministry of reconciliation Exodus Chagall
- Slide 28
- ROMANS Pauls mature work
- Slide 29
- Righteousness through Faith Mercy Seat Kathleen Izzo
- Slide 30
- The Example of Abraham The call of Abraham, ceramic relief by Richard McBee, 1980.
- Slide 31
- Gods Promise Realized through Faith God covenants to make Abraham a father Of many nations, Marc Chagall, 1931.
- Slide 32
- Results of Justification: Reconciliation
- Slide 33
- Adam and Christ Adam and Eve, 1504 Albrecht Drer
- Slide 34
- Dying and Rising with Christ
- Slide 35
- PRECEPT Discuss 2 Cor 5:11-6:10
View more >
The Book of Ephesians ?· Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints in Ephesus,…
Christianity in the first century 1.Death/ Resurrection of Jesus 2.Pentecost. 3.Apostle Paul. 4.Apostolic Council (Jerusalem Conference). 5.Paul’s letter.
Letters of Paul - Lakeside Institute of ?· The Letters of Paul the Apostle ... (7-16) The Book of 1…
The Significance of the Apostle Paul - Ebenezer The Significance of the Apostle Paul We must never underestimate the unparalleled significance of the Apostle Paul. It is not an exaggeration to say that ...
St. Paul the Apostle Catholic . Paul the Apostle Catholic School ... 28 CLASS IN SESSION: Snow Day Make‐up…
God’s Power to Save The Book of Romans. Paul’s Letter to the Romans Paul, an apostle, chosen by Jesus Christ the Son of God (1:1-7). Paul, an apostle,
Biography of the Apostle Paul - Roanoke Baptist Studies/Short Biography of the Apostle...Biography of the Apostle Paul Paul’s beginnings are an interesting jumble that highlight the ... seemed to be loathe to come to a decision on his case, ...
THE SECOND EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO viewTHE SECOND EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1 1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus, 2 To Timothy, my dearly beloved son ...
THE FIRST EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE CORINTHIANS ... FIRST EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE CORINTHIANS AUTHOR: Paul, the Apostle. DATE: Probably A.D. 54-56 on Paul ˇs second missionary journey. TO WHOM WRITTEN: The church of God at Corinth, to those set apart in Christ Jesus (1:2).