temples iit madras
Post on 16-Oct-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONA nice compilation of the histories of temples at IIT Madras.
1Brief look at the history of temples in IIT Madras
campusArun Ayyar, Harish Ganapathy, Hemanth C
Alumnus of Department of Electrical Engg., Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai-600036.Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engg., Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai-600036Email: email@example.com
Department of Electrical Engg., Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai-600036Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
27-February-2014, Vijaya Varsha Maha Shivaratri.
Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM) was commissioned in 1957. A part of the land for establishment of IITM was
transferred by the Raj bhavan. The land on which the existing hostel zone is located belonged to the then Taramani village.
Some of the erstwhile Taramani villagers and their families still reside in the area outside the existing Taramani gate of IITM.
There are three temples in the IITM campus, namely (i) Sri Jalakantheswara temple on the Delhi Avenue (ii) Sri Peeliamman
Temple on the Delhi Avenue near the stadium (iii) Sri Varasidhdhi Vinayaka Temple behind Taramani Guest House. The
Taramani villagers used to worship the deities in these temples before the establishment of IITM. However, no written material
is available with the temples regarding their history during the pre-IITM period.
To reconstruct the history of these temples, informal interviews were conducted with the people connected to the area before
and during the establishment of IITM. In order to gain the archaeological view point we sought the help of Dr. Nagaswamy,
a renowned archaeologist and epigraphist. He served as the Director of Archaeology of Tamil Nadu state Government for 22
years. This document is a summary of the findings of this exercise.
II. SRI JALAKANTHESWARA TEMPLE
The Jalakantheswara temple is located near the main gate of IITM on the Delhi Avenue. The main deity in this temple
is Lord Shiva worshipped in name of Sri Jalakantheswara along with his consort Devi Katyayani. Prior to the establishment
(a) Sri Jalakantheswara (b) Devi Katyayani
Fig. 1. Photographs of Sri Jalakantheswara and Devi Katyayani
of IITM, the Shiva linga was present under a mandapam with thatched roof near the IITM lake area and was inspiring even
by its size. Residents of the nearby villages offered daily worship to the Shiva lingam. During the establishment of IITM,
the residents of IITM then approached Mahaperiyavaa (Kanchi Kamakoti Peethadhipathi Jagadguru Sri Chandrasekharendra
2Saraswathi Swamiji) about the procedure to be followed for worshipping the linga. He told them to construct a temple and
continue the puja.
When the question of naming the Lord came, He told them that there was no need to give a new name to the lingam
since it had been previously worshipped by Appaya Deekshitar. Appaya Deekshitar (1520-1593) was an Advaita Vedanta
scholar who composed the famous Margabandhu Stotram and Atmarpana stuti. Mahaperiyavaa told that the lingam had been
previously worshipped as Jalakantheswara. He also directed them to check the documents available in the nearby Raj Bhavan
for further details. According to the information furnished by the Controller of Raj Bhavan area in 1959, the precincts of the
temple once formed the route from an ancient place of worship in Vedashreni (present Velachery) to Thiruvanmiyur and had
been frequented by great saints including Appaya Deekshitar. During a recent visit to Kanchipuram, Balaperiyavaa (Kanchi
Kamakoti Peethadhipathi Jagadguru Sri Shankara Vijayendra Saraswathi Swamiji) mentioned that the then king performed the
Shastiabdapurthi (60th birthday) of Appaya Deekshitar in the temple where the Jalakantheshwara lingam had been present.
The construction of the current Jalakantheswara temple started around 1962 and got over by 1965. The vimana Kalasam
of Sri Jalakantheswara is about 300 kg. The first kumbhabhishekam of the Sri Jalakantheswara temple was performed on
18th June, 1965 in the holy presence of Puduperiyavaa (Kanchi Kamakoti Peethadhipathi Jagadguru Sri Jayendra Saraswati
Swamiji). Sringeri Sharada Peethadhipati Sri Abhinava Vidyatheertha Swamiji visited the temple on 7th November, 1965, while
Mahaperiyavaa himself visited the temple on 20th February, 1966. Based on the information available, the lingam is at least
400 years old.
In the souvenir printed for the Sri Jalakantheswara temple kumbhabhishekam in 1986 the following text is present:
The story of the lingam, summarized from the reading of the Kakabujander Nadi which was with the Raj Bhavan authorities
is as follows:
There was a Gandharva Kumaran by name of Vanavilangan. While he was passing through the sky, he spotted
a lovely lake with a charming swan on it. He attempted to capture and take the swan away but as the swan was
goddess Kali herself, she cursed Vanavilangan that he would become a stone. The gandharva kumaran accepted
the punishment but prayed to the Goddess for redemption. The Goddess relented and commanded him to build a
temple and perform penance as a stone, until he was redeemed by the touch of holy feet of Thrikala Gnanis and saints.
Comforted by this blessing of the Goddess, he built a temple where goddess rested and established a shivalingam at
the foot of which he lays as a stone for ages, until he regained his original form. The lingam was shifted as years
passed, and once a king (hunter) attained salvation by spotting it. Finally a Brahmin Yogi with great efforts lifted
the lingam and planted at the bank of the lake, where it was subsequently found in 1959. The nadi describes the
shivalingam as a composite whole, fusing Lord Jalakantheswara and Devi Katyayani as one cognate expression of
universal peace, prosperity and glory.
The following photographs in Fig.2 and Fig. 3 were taken from souvenir printed during kumbhabhishekam of Sri Jalakan-
theswara temple conducted in 1986. We have included the other photographs in the Photo Gallery section at the end.
Fig. 2. Kumbhabhishekam to Jalakantheswara temple vimanam in presence of Puduperiyavaa. The vimana kalasam is about 300 kg. Also seen in photographProf Krishnamurty.
3Fig. 3. Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyatheertha Swamiji of Sringeri Sharada peetham visiting Sri Jalakantheswara temple on 07-Nov-1965. Also seen inphotograph Prof Krishnamurty.
Fig. 4. Mahaperiyavaa visiting visiting Sri Jalakantheswara temple on 20-Feb-1966. Also seen in photograph Prof Krishnamurty, Sri Y. S. Ramaswamy andSri T. R. Rajagopal. (Courtesy IITM Heritage center)
4III. SRI DURGA PEELIAMMMAN TEMPLE
This temple is located on the Delhi avenue near the stadium. The main deity in this temple is Goddess Durga Peeliamman
who was worshipped as the grama devata/ yellai amman (the protecting goddess of the village) by the people of the Taramani
village. Before the establishment of IITM, there was small Devi idol which the villagers used to worship. The villagers of
Taramani worshipped Durga Peeliamman as a benevolent goddess as opposed to the usual fierce form associated with any yellai
amman. The vigrahas of Peeliamman and Vinayaka (present in the Vinayaka temple) have been worshipped by the villagers
for many generations.
Fig. 5. Sri Durga Peeliamman temple
Fig. 6. Photograph of Sri Durga Peeliamman
5The people mentioned an interesting ritual which persons with health problems used to undertake once they were cured
of the disease after praying to Goddess Peeliamman. The ritual was called Kodaikalyanam. The afflicted person would
take a shakthi karagam (pot filled with water) on their head and go around the boundaries of other villages which were near
Taramani. The journey would start from Sri Durga Peeliamman temple and go through Thiruvanmiyur, Kottivakkam, Perungudi,
Narayanapuram, Puzhidivakkam , Velachery, etc. villages and finally end at Sri Durga Peeliamman temple. The person would
visit the grama devata temples of each of these villages before returning back to Sri Durga Peeliamman temple. It was believed
Fig. 7. Sketch of route possibly taken for the Kodaikalyanam ritual
that if a person with health problem would pray that they would perform this ritual then it would cure the person of their
health problems. A sketch of the possible route using Google maps is shown in Fig. 7. The exact route taken in those days
would be different from the one shown since we could not locate the grama devata temples of the respective villages.
6IV. SRI VARASIDHDHI VINAYAKA TEMPLE
Sri Varasidhdhi Vinayaka temple is situated in the hostel zone behind Taramani Guest house. The main deity in this temple
is the Varsidhdhi Vinayaka. The temple also houses two Shiva lingas.
A. Sri Varasidhdhi Vinayaka
The erstwhile Taramani villagers say that the Vinayaka murti has been present in its current place since a long time. In fact
one of the persons we spoke to said, Yen paten nukku paten kalatule irundu iruku. (The Ganesha murti has been there since
the time of my grandfathers grandfather). This easily makes it at least 200 years old.
Fig. 8. Vigraha of Sri Varasidhdhi Vinayaka
B. Bhajana Matam and Tulasi Maadam
The people we spoke to mentioned that there was also a matam with a Mahavishnu photo next to the Vinayaka murti where
the villagers used to conduct bhajans in the month of Margazhi (Dec-15 to Jan-15). There was also a tulasi maadam, which
can be seen even now. As of today, the bhaj