t1 issue 4

St Joseph’s School Barmera 8 Joyce Street Barmera SA 5345 Ph: 8588 2154 Fax: 8588 2986 Email: [email protected] Web: www.stjobarmera.catholic.edu.au Principal: Mr. Lee Abela Parish Priest: Fr Steve Ardill Phone: 8582 1894 Mass Time: Sunday 11.00am Sunday 10th March 2013 FOURTH SUNDAY IN LENT EDUCATING TOMORROWS LEADERS TODAY ISSUE Term 1 2013 04 Newsletter An R-7 Catholic School in the traditional lands of the Ngarrindjeri people. Dear Parents, Caregivers and Students, This week we have approached the half way mark of term 1. We have farewelled and thanked Ms Fiona Kupke for her support for the last five weeks and have welcomed Mrs Dee Barnett back after her maternity leave. Mrs Barnett will be working across all the classes with a particular focus on Science. Last week, Ms Joy Mackley and I went to Adelaide for a National Partnerships meeting. For the last two years St Josephs School has been part of the ‘Communities Making a Difference’ project—which was designed to increase student outcomes in the area of Numeracy. NAPLAN is only one form of data that can be used to measure students learning. Looking at the data of last years results, the growth that students experienced from their previous NAPLAN test has been significant, not just in the school but also comparable across the State. Growth rates (based on average growth): Year 3 to year 5 Reading State Average 77.8 St Joseph’s 76.3 Numeracy State Average 96.6 St Joseph’s 98.1 Year 5 to year 7 Reading State Average 49.8 St Joseph’s 72.3 Numeracy State Average 45.6 St Joseph’s 72.2 This year we are part of a different National Partnership project. Our area of focus will still be in Numeracy but will also extend into Literacy. To broaden our data collection on students and to be able to clearly see growth, we will be using the PAT-Reading and PAT-Maths Plus tests to assess students’ Reading Comprehension and Numeracy skills . This will occur in March and again in November of this year. Both Ms Joy Mackley and Ms Amanda Hickey will be key teachers in the area of Leading Learning and will be supporting staff both in and out of the classroom. Narelle Sarakinis (Speech Pathologist) was in the school for the day at the end of week 4 and will be returning later this term. Narelle is supporting the school to build the capacity of staff in the area of speech development. This initiative of accessing Allied Health Services will continue throughout the year. Last week we celebrated ‘Clean Up Australia Day’. Students and staff made there way around Barmera and cleaned Playspace, the Main Street and the lake front. This was a great opportunity for students to be in and support our local community as well as increase their thinking around environmental issues. Finally, over the last week I met with the new families to the school to discuss how they have found the school and how their child has settled in. I am also keen to hear from other families. If you would like to contact the school to make a time to discuss the year so far, I welcome the opportunity for this to occur. Lee Abela

Upload: others

Post on 01-Jan-2022

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

St Joseph’s School

Barmera

8 J o y c e S t r e e t

B a r m e r a S A 5 3 4 5

P h : 8 5 8 8 2 1 5 4

F a x : 8 5 8 8 2 9 8 6

E m a i l :

i n f o @ s t j o b a r m e r a . c a t h o l i c . e d u . a u

W e b :

w w w . s t j o b a r m e r a . c a t h o l i c . e d u . a u

Principal:

Mr . Lee Abela

Parish Pr iest:

Fr Steve Ardil l

P h o n e : 8 5 8 2 1 8 9 4

M a s s T i m e : S u n d a y 1 1 . 0 0 a m

S u n d a y 1 0 t h M a r c h 2 0 1 3

F O U R T H S U N D A Y I N L E N T

EDUCATING TOMORROW’S LEADERS TODAY

IS S UE

T e r m 1

2 0 13

04 Newsletter An R-7 Catholic School in the traditional lands of the Ngarrindjeri people.

Dear Parents, Caregivers and Students,

This week we have approached the half way mark of term 1. We have farewelled and thanked Ms Fiona

Kupke for her support for the last five weeks and have welcomed Mrs Dee Barnett back after her

maternity leave. Mrs Barnett will be working across all the classes with a particular focus on Science.

Last week, Ms Joy Mackley and I went to Adelaide for a National Partnerships meeting. For the last two

years St Josephs School has been part of the ‘Communities Making a Difference’ project—which was

designed to increase student outcomes in the area of Numeracy. NAPLAN is only one form of data that

can be used to measure students learning. Looking at the data of last years results, the growth that

students experienced from their previous NAPLAN test has been significant, not just in the school but

also comparable across the State.

Growth rates (based on average growth):

Year 3 to year 5 Reading State Average 77.8 St Joseph’s 76.3

Numeracy State Average 96.6 St Joseph’s 98.1

Year 5 to year 7 Reading State Average 49.8 St Joseph’s 72.3

Numeracy State Average 45.6 St Joseph’s 72.2

This year we are part of a different National Partnership project. Our area of focus will still be in

Numeracy but will also extend into Literacy. To broaden our data collection on students and to be able

to clearly see growth, we will be using the PAT-Reading and PAT-Maths Plus tests to assess students’

Reading Comprehension and Numeracy skills . This will occur in March and again in November of this

year. Both Ms Joy Mackley and Ms Amanda Hickey will be key teachers in the area of Leading Learning

and will be supporting staff both in and out of the classroom.

Narelle Sarakinis (Speech Pathologist) was in the school for the day at the end of week 4 and will be

returning later this term. Narelle is supporting the school to build the capacity of staff in the area of

speech development. This initiative of accessing Allied Health Services will continue throughout the year.

Last week we celebrated ‘Clean Up Australia Day’. Students and staff made there way around Barmera

and cleaned Playspace, the Main Street and the lake front. This was a great opportunity for students to

be in and support our local community as well as increase their thinking around environmental issues.

Finally, over the last week I met with the new families to the school to discuss how they have found the

school and how their child has settled in. I am also keen to hear from other families. If you would like to

contact the school to make a time to discuss the year so far, I welcome the opportunity for this to occur.

Lee Abela

Faith Formation—Pastoral Care

SCHOOL COMMISSIONING MASS AND FAMILY FUN DAY AT THE LAKE

On Sunday February 24th our school held a Commissioning Mass for all staff and school board members

and following the mass we celebrated a family fun day at the lake. It was wonderful to see so many

families attend and be part of a great day!

Term Dates Term 1

29 Jan - 12 April

Term 2

29 April - 5 July

Term 3

22 July - 27 Sept

Term 4

14 Oct - 13 Dec

Student Learning and Wellbeing

SAPSASA SWIMMING CARNIVAL

Congratulations to those students who participated at the

Riverland District Swimming Carnival last Friday held at

Loxton pool. The day proved to be very successful with the

students not only conducting themselves with pride for their

school and great sportsmanship but also a number of great

results in the pool.

Following the carnival three students being Eric Centofanti,

Lacey Hill and Torni Hill have been chosen to train with the

Riverland District Swimming Team with the opportunity to

compete in the State SAPSASA Swimming Carnival to be held

in Adelaide in late March.

I would like to thank all parents and children for taking the

time to participate at both the school swimming trials and

SAPSASA carnival, with special mentions to Mrs. Louise

Stavrou and Mrs. Dee Barnett for stepping into the role of

team supervisors.

Mr. Jack Perry (SAPSASA Coordinator)

LENTEN BREAKFASTS

On Wednesday 27th February we held our 2nd Lenten breakfast. We had sausages, cereal and toast on

the menu. We put the money in the box and each had breakfast. We had to help set up by organising the

food and setting up the chairs. Thank you to all the people that helped out. We raised $44.95 this week

and this will go towards Project Compassion. By Jordan, Mitch and Dillon.

We had egg and bacon muffins for Lenten Breakfast during week 3 of Lent. We had to bring the food

items to create the breakfast. Our parents came in and help cook the breakfast whilst we set up the

chairs etc. Lots of people came and enjoyed our breakfast and in total we raised $77.30 for project

compassion. We would like to thank everyone who came and supported the Mini Vinnies group.

By Dimitri, Clauia, Louise and Torni

Project Compassion

Gala Night Friday 22nd

March

A great family

and community

event!

• The Blood Service is visiting BERRI at the

Senior Citizens Centre, 1 Crawford

Terrace on Thursday 7th March 12 noon to 7.30 pm and Friday 8th March 7.30 am

to 12.30 pm. Before you donate eat something, drink

4 good sized glasses of water and bring photo ID. To make an appointment please call 13 14 95.

• Barmera Kindy Fundraiser - Picture Plates - Join in the fun and turn your child’s precious drawings,

photos, hand and foot prints into durable, practical melamine keepsakes guaranteed to last a lifetime.

For more information visit our website: www.stjobarmera.catholic.edu.au and click ‘news and events’

• Riverland Lets Live Longer Carnival, Friday 22nd March at Glassey Park in Berri from 10am to 8pm.

Entertainment by Les Sumner and Billy Watson. Information stalls, sports, hip hop workshops, tasty

tucker, promotional give aways. This is a drug and alcohol and smoke free event. Transport available.

• "Married Couples – Your Kids will thank you for going on a Marriage Encounter Weekend

Make a Worldwide Marriage Encounter Weekend and come back with a marriage that is refreshed and full of energy. The next Weekend is on 21st to 23rd June 2013 at Nunyara

Conference Centre Belair. For more information contact Malachy and Geraldine O’Reilly on

0437 388 513 or email [email protected]."

For more information about Worldwide Marriage Encounter you may wish to go

to www.wwme.org.au or view the video testimonial at this YouTubelink.

• 2013 Riverland Youth Theatre Program Renmark Drama Workshops, Renmark Institute every Tuesday at 4-6pm. Renmark Dance Workshops,

Renmark Institute every Wednesday at 4-5pm. Loxton Dance Workshops 1&2, Loxton Primary School

every Monday at 4-5pm and 5-6pm

NEW WORKSHOPS THIS YEAR- Waikerie Drama Workshops, Waikerie Institute every Thursday at 4-

6pm & Renmark Drumming Workshops, Renmark Institute every Wednesday at 5-6pm. Come along and bring your friends ! wear loose comfortable clothing, enclosed footwear & bring a water bottle.

For more info please contact RYT on 8586 3437 or email [email protected]

Colletta’s story ZIMBABWE Do you grow veggies? Lots of people do.

Vegetables from your garden are fresh, don’t have to travel a long way

and most people don’t use harmful chemicals to grow them.

People who grow veggies often share them with their neighbours. Zimbabwe used to grow heaps of food. It was called the “breadbasket of

Africa” – they even grew enough for other countries. But now there is so

much fi ghting between people in charge of the country that many have

nothing to eat.

Colletta and her family live in Zimbabwe. Some time ago Colletta was very

sick. Even though she needed to care for her family she had to stay in bed. She was very unhappy.

Colletta said, “I couldn’t afford food. Sometimes I sent my children to look

for food from neighbours.”

Caritas has many friends in Zimbabwe. They talked to Colletta’s

community about what could be done. Colletta listened and saw a chance

to help her family. Together the community grew vegetables and special herbs. Colletta can

now take her medicine with food so it works much better. With the special

herbs and the medicine Colletta is feeling better. She sells leftover vegetables to pay for school fees and

fees for the doctor.

Today the community works in the gardens and the fields together. Because there is plenty of food and

plenty to do, life in the community is more peaceful. Thanks to you and Caritas, Colletta can look after herself and her family much better. She is proud of herself.

Happy

Birthday…

19th March

Orana Reynolds

Community

ST JOSEPH’S SCHOOL BARMERA

SCHOOL CALENDAR TERM 1 v2

Please note, the calendar is subject to change as other events & outings may be added through the term

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday

Week 1

Term

commences

9.00 Morning Tea

Week 2

8.50 Morning

Gathering

6.00pm

Canberra Info

Session

6.30 Parent Info