rocking the boat without falling out
out of 30
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONAmerican Express NGen webinar on how to become a more effective change agent inside your organization. Key takeaways: why rebels needed, five Rebel 101 skills for creating change, knowing when to quit so that you don't get thrown under the bus.
- Rocking the Boat without Falling Out Crea5ng Change in Organiza5ons Lois Kelly | Rebels at Work American Express NGen Webinar July 29, 2014
- 2 Can you create change without rocking the boat?
- 3 The gap between vision and current reality is a source of energy. If there were no gap, there would be no need for any ac5on to move towards the vision. We call this gap crea5ve tension. Peter Senge The Fi'h Discipline Solu5ons and innova5on come from crea5ve tension
- 4 But were socialized to be obedient to authority. Group think, likeability, not rocking the boat is rewarded.
- 5 Most run from disagreement and crea5ve tension... and cling to reasons not to change
- 6 Source: MP Bumsted Biocultural Science & Management
- Poll What are your organiza5ons most common reasons not to change? qThe board/execs will never agree to it qNot enough resources/too expensive qWeve tried that before qIts too risky qAre any other organiza5ons like us doing it? qOther: _____________________________________ 7
- 8 The lack of ac5on was a result of broad bureaucra5c problems and the failure of individual employees in several departments to address a safety problem. GM CEO Mary Barra
- Nearly half of execu5ve teams fail to receive nega5ve news that is material to performance in a 5mely manner because employees are afraid. The Corporate Execu5ve Board Open Door Policy, Closed-Lip Reality
- 82% of employees have experienced some kind of penalty for speaking the truth. Source: Speaking Truth to Power study Dana Theus, ReclaimingLeadership.com
- Causes: Execs fear: nega5ve feedback. Unstated beliefs. Employees are self- interested, untrustworthy Top management knows best Consensus = organiza5onal health Source: Sounds of Silence, NYU Stern School of Management
- 13 And some5mes love blinds us.
- Bad Rebels Good Rebels Complain Create Break rules Change rules Me-focused Mission-focused Problems Possibili5es Alienate Ahract Energy-sapping Energy-genera5ng Asser5ons Ques5ons Pessimist Op5mist Point ngers Pinpoint causes Worry that Wonder if Obsessed Reluctant Source: Rebels At Work
- 15 7 Foghound ebook Rebels at Work: Motivated to Make A Difference for more thoughts on activating change click here Greatest value rebels provide Call out problems others afraid to Challenge ineffective sacred cow practices Willing to be the first to try new approaches See new ways to solve problems Bring outside ideas into the organization Have ideas to improve products/services Detect emerging issues early Have a good pulse on what customers want 93% 88% 86% 79% 73% 42%
- 17 What are the risks of NOT speaking up? If not you, who?
- 19 Rebel 101: Preparing for the unknowable
- 20 Understand the organiza5onal landscape What is most valued? How are decisions made? What are the business cycles? Who inuences what and whom? Whats gemng talked about?
- 21 Engage supporters and collaborators Earn credibility and trust Find trusted advisors Think about sequencing
- 22 Make friends with BBBs Bureaucra5c Black Belts (BBBs) People who have mastered the organiza5ons rules and culture and know how to navigate the ins and outs to get things done and minimize risk OR preserve the status quo and stop change. Manage your outbox. Who are 3 BBBs you should have lunch with?
- 23 Thats interes5ng. Tell me more. Key in on whats at stake. Show how the idea relates to what people want. Paint a picture of what could be. Make the status quo unappealing. Show the idea can work. People support ideas they think can work. Be posi5ve and pithy. Keep it short! Frame your ideas, communicate value vs. how What do people in your organiza5on really want? Is it stated or unstated?
- 24 There can be no change without conict.
- 25 Interpersonal Conict Structural Conict Conict of Values
- 26 The Rebel Arc Knowing when to quit or retreat for a while
- Keep going? Rate importance. Just ask. Is the energy waning? Is it performance objec5ve worthy? How much are your colleagues willing to help? Are you becoming not yourself? 27
- Poll What might most help you more eec5vely create change? qUsing conict more produc5vely qBeher communica5ng ideas qBuilding rela5onships with BBBs qKnowing how to maneuver inside organiza5on qOvercoming my own fears qBecoming more known as credible, trustworthy q Finding more supporters qOther: _____________________________________ 29
- 30 Resources, stories, newslecer, book release: www.RebelsAtWork.com Views and news: @RebelsAtWork, Facebook: Rebels at Work page Lois Kelly: firstname.lastname@example.org Sign up for our newslecer!
View more >
Rocking Piston - ?· Gast Rocking Piston Compressors and Vacuum Pumps 3 Variety Gast oilless Rocking…
tremble in the rocking boat below. ... a single limousine tor dead people or ... tabasco and it makes quite a saucy souffle
ROCKING THE BOAT: THE PARACELS, THE SPRATLYS, AND THE ... 2017] ROCKING THE BOAT: THE SOUTH CHINA SEA
They fail to execute because they are afraid of rocking the boat. Your job is to help them develop emotional
Rocking the Boat! Image Development Workshop™, the signature course of the INTERNATIONAL AMBASSADOR INSTITUTE™ Photo courtesy of Robert L. Allen, Jr. Rocking
Rocking axles Pendelaggregate Balancines - ?· Rocking axles - Pendel Achsaggregat - Balancines La largeur…