Post on 24-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Prepositions Wed be lost without them!
2. Hi, Im Spooky.Instead of some boring grammar lesson that you just takes notes on, I decided to help you out. Today Im going to help teach you aboutprepositions. This stuff is important, though, so anytime you see this symbolmake sure that piece of info goes down in your notes. 3. What is a Preposition? 4. Spooky is sleepingon the bed . 5. Spooky is wrappedin a towel. 6. Spooky is hidingunder the staircase. 7. Have you figured it out yet?
- Aprepositionis a word that relates a noun or pronoun to another word.
8. T he anton the floorcaptured Spookys attention.
- The prepositiononconnectsfloorwithant and shows the relationship between them.
9. Most common prepositions
Before Behind Below Beneath Beside Between Beyond By Concerning Down During Except For From In Inside Into Like Near Of Off On Out Outside Over Past Since Through Throughout To Toward Under Underneath Until Up Upon With Within Without 10.
- Aphraseis a group of words.
- Aprepositional phraseis one that begins with a preposition and ends with a noun or pronoun as its object..
Spooky went out on the porch. Out on the porch is the prepositional phrase. Out on is the preposition. (sometimes prepositions consist of more than one word.) Porch is theobject of the preposition. 11.
- A prepositional phrase can NEVER be the subject of a sentence.
12. So when you have trouble finding subjects, just get rid of the prepositional phrases. That will narrow your search to what's left.
- During the football game ,I snuck into the kitchen.
- Thescraps from dinner were in the garbage.
- Except for the dog , noone was at home.
- With one nudge ,I pushedthe canon its side .
- Until the end of the game ,I could snack on the
- scraps with no fear of interruption
13. Prepositional Phrases Role of a prepositional phrase is to describe a word or group of words that appear in the same sentence