Musicals What are they? Who are some famous performers in musicals?
out of 15
Post on 23-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Musicals What are they? Who are some famous performers in musicals?
- Slide 2
- Musicals Musicals - a stage, television or film production utilizing popular songs. A musical can tell a story and/or showcase the talents of the writers and/or performers.
- Slide 3
- Musicals There are THREE kinds of musicals. Stage Film Television
- Slide 4
- Musicals What makes a musical different from a play? A musical uses songs to tell a story. There can be dialogue by the actors; however, songs are included in a musical. Musical score - a collection of the songs used in the musical.
- Slide 5
- Musicals The history of Musicals Greece The Greeks included musicals and dance in their comedies and tragedies as early as the 5 th century B.C. Rome The Romans included song and dance routines with orchestral accompaniment to make the dance steps more audible (easier to hear). The actors attached metal chips called samilla to their footwear. Middle Ages In Europe, performers traveled to sing popular songs and perform slapstick comedy.
- Slide 6
- Musicals Broadway 40 large professional theatres located in Manhattan (New York City). Broadway musicals began in the 1750s and continue today. 1943 1968 The Golden Age of Broadway musicals
- Slide 7
- Musicals Fred Astaire an innovative dancer, choreographer, singer and actor. His career spanned 76 years, and he made 31 musical films. Video Example Puttin On the Ritz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFabjc6mFk4&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFabjc6mFk4&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
- Slide 8
- Musicals Julie Andrews actress and singer known for starring in Mary Poppins (1964) and The Sound of Music (1965). Her voice spanned four octaves buring her prime. Video Example Mary Poppins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bZ0SSyUcw&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 Video Example The Sound of Music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dpGmAc3kMk&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
- Slide 9
- Musicals Andrew Llyod Webber Famous composer of musicals such as Cats, The Phantom of the Opera, Evita and Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat. He wrote his first musical at the age of six and published his first piece at the age of nine. Video Example Cats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-L6rEm0rnY&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 Video Example Phantom of the Opera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej1zMxbhOO0&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
- Slide 10
- Musicals Rogers and Hammerstein well known american songwriter duo. They composed musicals together in the 1940s and 1950s during the Golden Age of musicals. Their musicals include Oklahoma, State Fair, The King and I and The Sound of Music. Video Example Oklahoma http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpNeHMlJiD4&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
- Slide 11
- Musicals Gene Kelley an american actor, singer, dancer, film producer and choreographer. He is known for being one of the greatest lead actors/dancers in musicals during the 1940s and 1950s. He starred in the musical Singing in Rain which is one of the ten most popular musicals of all time. Video Example - Singing in the Rain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ZYhVpdXbQ&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 Video Example Always Fair Weather http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1InfoCfipM&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
- Slide 12
- Musicals Judy Garland an american singer and actress. She starred as Dorthy in The Wizard of Oz and starred in Meet Me in St. Louis. Video Example The Wizard of Oz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhzbzwPNgXA&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
- Slide 13
- Musicals George Gershwin an american composer and pianist. He composed famous jazz songs such as Rhapsody in Blue and songs for musicals such as I Got Rhythm. Video Example I Got Rhythm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIpNepgmCQA&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
- Slide 14
- Musicals Gilbert and Sullivan Two famous composers who wrote musicals during the late 1800s. They were known for writing H.M.S. Pinafore and The Pirates of Penzance. Video Example I am the Very Model http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ONckodX_5U&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
- Slide 15
- Musicals Irving Berlin an american songwriter and lyricist. He composed the scores for 19 Broadway musicals. He composed White Christmas and God Bless America. Video Example White Christmas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXcNfA4qebQ&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
View more >
Stephen Schwartz Broadway, Theater legend. What makes Stephen's plays stand out his plays stand out because they are musicals. Some Broadway Musicals.
CHRISTMAS MUSICALS WITH PRE-DESIGNED MUSICALS WITH PRE-DESIGNED SHOWS NOTE: Current year musicals are designed in the order they ... Good News Of Great Joy! ...
Film Genres MUSICALS: Musicals/dance films are cinematic forms that emphasize full-scale scores or song and dance routines in a significant way, or they.
Did you know what some books are made into plays with music? They are called musicals. As you read Sarah, Plain and Tall, let’s listen to the songs. Then,
Rocks, what do they mean to you? Some rock formations are famous and when they disappear, their legends don’tSome rock formations are famous and when they.
Rights holders Who are they? What are their claims? Duty bearers Who are they? What are their duties? Rights holders Who.