Music Fundamentals 9 th Grade Mr. Lias The Life and Music of Johann Sebastian Bach Music: Toccata and Fugue in d minor.
out of 16
Post on 21-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Music Fundamentals 9 th Grade Mr. Lias The Life and Music of Johann Sebastian Bach Music: Toccata and Fugue in d minor
- Slide 2
- Bach: His Life Johann Sebastian Bach was born in Eisensach, Germany in 1685. Bachs father, Johann Ambrosius Bach, was the town organist and musician
- Slide 3
- Bach was orphaned at the age of ten and then sent to live with his brother Johann Jacob. Interesting Fact of Bachs Family: All five of Bachs brothers were named Johann.
- Slide 4
- His Career In 1703, at age eighteen, Bach received his first post as a musician in the Weimar Court and organist for the Neuekirche in Arnstadt. Bach spent the next twenty years of his life moving from post to post.
- Slide 5
- The Wandering Years Bachs twenty years of posts included: Organist, Harpsichordist, and Clavier player in Muhlhausen Kapellmeister for Prince Leopold of Cothen
- Slide 6
- Settling Down In 1723, Bach received his last post in Leipzig, Germany as a musician of all trades at St. Thomas Church. Bach father over twenty children in two marriages. His first wife, Maria Barbara Bach (his cousin) gave birth to seven children, and his second wife, Anna Magdelena Wilcken, gave birth to the other thirteen. Bach father over twenty children in two marriages. His first wife, Maria Barbara Bach (his cousin) gave birth to seven children, and his second wife, Anna Magdelena Wilcken, gave birth to the other thirteen.
- Slide 7
- Tragedies of Bach Bachs first wife, Maria Barbara Bach, died in 1720. Of his twenty children, ten lived past childhood, and only four became composers. Bach was the runner-up for the post at Leipzig and it was given to him only because the other person backed out.
- Slide 8
- His Music Bach is accredited to over 1,000 works over his forty-seven year career. His music, though highly regarded now, was to the people of the time as old fashioned Music: Little Fugue in g minor
- Slide 9
- Bach wrote many types, or forms of music, they include: Fugues Inventions Concertos Partitas Preludes Bach was most famous for his Fugues as heard throughout class today
- Slide 10
- Instruments Bach played mainly keyboard instruments his whole life, but wrote for all instruments of the time that include: Harpsichord Organ
- Slide 11
- Voice Orchestras His works are numerous and infamous and stand as a pillar for young composers everywhere
- Slide 12
- Bach Contributions Beyond his music, or actually, in his music Bach was an artist. The technique he used became known as counterpoint. Though Bach did not invent the technique of counterpoint, he was known as its master.
- Slide 13
- Voice-Leading/Part-Writing In all of Bachs choral pieces, the voices all apply to certain rules discovered music theorists. These rules, or the technique itself is known as Voice-Leading/Part-Writing. V-L/P-W uses rules to determine how harmony fits with a predetermined melody.
- Slide 14
- The Fugue The technique of writing fugue was one of Bachs largest contributions. Fugue uses a subject, or melody, this subject is manipulated using tools like voice inversion, inversion, retrograde.etc. Composers today still use the techniques mastered by him
- Slide 15
- Home Work AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! Read pp.62-82 and do review for Monday Have a Good Weekend!!!!
- Slide 16
- References Foil, David. Bach: The Keyboard Works. Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers, New York, New York, 1996. Turek, Ralph. The Elements of Music Vol. 2, 2 nd edition. McGraw-Hill Publishers, New York, New York, 1996.
View more >
Toccata - Amazon S3 ?· 4 7 Toccata Johann Sebastian Bach This Edition Copyright © 2014 Music-for-Music-Teachers.com.…
PERIODS OF CLASICAL MUSIC HISTORY - with... · JOHANN SEBASTIEN BACH: Toccata and Fugue CD 4-9 . ...…
Toccata and Fugue in D minor - Music Files (BWV 565) Johann Sebastian Bach Toccata and Fugue in Dm Sheet Music from Manuals Pedals 5 9 b M M u u U M U U U MU
The complete Table of Contents ... - CD Sheet Music . S. Bach Works for Organ, Art of the Fugue, ... Welcome to the CD Sheet Music™ edition of J. S. Bach, ... Toccata and Fugue in D Minor ...
Best Classical Music and Opera Arias (v1) - alexnegrescu Classical Music and Opera Arias (v1) Tomaso Albinoni Adagio Johann Sebastian Bach Toccata and Fugue in
Touche - : Sacred Sheet Music D . S. Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor ... Toccata and Fugue in D Minor Organ Solo ... This license gives the purchaser permission to download sheet music, ...
Violin 1 Fugue in D Minor - Classical sheet music class ?· Fugue in D Minor From the "Toccata and Fugue…
CARLISLE CATHEDRAL MUSIC SHEET JUNE ...... Prelude and Fugue in D (Hommage a Marcel Dupr) ... Reger: Dankpsalm ... Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D minor (BWV 565)
2 Contents by Composer - Alfred Music in D, Johann Pachelbel . . . . . . . . . . . . .224 ... Toccata in D Minor, Johann Sebastian Bach . . . . . 23 Toreador Song, ...
BACH, Johann ?· 2011-06-01 · BACH, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) The Magic of Bach Toccata and Fugue…
Program Music Instrumental music that tells a story. Absolute music- Music for its own sake (no program) –Ex. Bach Toccata & Fugue in d Minor Programs.
Bach, Piano Exercises I-IV: Music Scores By Johann ... 578 for piano Score is about piano sheet music and Music presents Johann Sebastian Bach itunes - music - johann sebastian bach ...
Johann Sebastian Bach - Music-for-Music- ... Johann Sebastian Bach This Introduction Copyright 2009 Music-for-Music-