Post on 24-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Multicultural Education Lydia Hogue October 5, 2010
2. My two ism
- The tendency to believe that ones ethnic or cultural group is centrally important and that all other groups are measured in relationship to ones own.
- The ethnocentric individual will judge other groups relative to his or her own particular ethnic group or culture.
- Especially with concerns to language, behavior, customs and religion.
- Can also be defined as making false assumptions about others ways based onour own experiences.
5. William J. Summer
- The term ethnocentrism was coined by William J. Summer upon observing the tendency for people to differentiate between the in-group and others.
- He described it as often leading to pride, vanity, beliefs of ones own groups superiority and contempt of outsiders.
6. Why is ethnocentrism bad?
- It makes false assumptions about cultures differences
- By evaluating them by what we are best at, we miss the many other aspects of life that they often handle more competently than we do
7. Ethnocentric Thinking
- Hebrew as reading backward Just say Hebrew is read from right to left
- British drivers drive on the wrong side of the road Just say opposite or left hand side
- Students going on Mission trips are encouraged to say Oh, thats different
8. In My Class
- I provide different Multicultural activities
- Parents come in and talk about their culture
- Lots of Multicultural books changed monthly
- We bring special visitors in to talk, and cook food from different cultures
- Each month we have a Multicultural book of the month
9. Multicultural Books 10. Afrocentrism
- A world view which emphasizes the importance of African people, taken as a single group and often equated with Black people, in culture, philosophy and history.
- Part of this reaction involved previewing history to document the contribution that Black people made to the world civilization.
11. Afrocentrism-A different world view
- 18 th century European historian Mr. David Hume said I am apt to suspect the Negroesto be naturally inferior to the White. There never was a civilized nation of any other complexion than white
- 20 thcentury scholar Mr. Arnold J Toynbee said When we classify mankind by color, the only one of the primary racewhich has not made a creative contribution to any of our twenty-one civilization is the black race
- Afrocentrists argue that such ignorance and blatant racism were common among mainstream scholars, educators and historians well into the 20 thcentury
- People need to teach world history with new eyes
13. Thomas Jennings Seed Planter-1791 14. Joseph Winter Fire Escape Ladder-1878 15. George Beckett Letter Box-1892 16. UlyssesS Walton Dentures-1943 17. Paul Williams Helicopter-1962 18. Dr.Anthony B Will Vehicle Steering System with electronic power regulation unit-2003 19. Janet Emerson Bashen Software Invention-2006 www.inventors.about.com 20. 21. 22. 23. African American Books 24. 25. 26. Come Join The Circle