m.l.a. citation workshop 2012. finding print resources on your topic -books -anthologies -magazines...
out of 23
Post on 17-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- M.L.A. CITATION WORKSHOP 2012
- Slide 2
- Slide 3
- Slide 4
- FINDING PRINT RESOURCES ON YOUR TOPIC -books -anthologies -magazines articles - newspaper articles
- Slide 5
- Search the VHS Library CATalog
- Slide 6
- Also use: -Worch Public Library - Your Own Resources
- Slide 7
- Citing a Book 1. Author(s). 2. Articles name. 3. Books name. 4. Editor (if any). 5. Publication city: 6. Publisher, 7. Publication date: 8. Page #s (if part of larger work). 9. Medium. ENTIRE BOOK (Universe in a Nutshell) ARTICLE from an ANTHOLOGY / Part of a Book (Ultimate Biography) Stephen Hawking. Ultimate Biography. Ed. Thomas Dyja. New York: DK Publishing, 2002. 42-43. Print. Hawking, Stephen. The Universe in a Nutshell. New York: Bantam Books, 2001. Print.
- Slide 8
- Citing a Magazine Article 1. Author(s). 2. Articles name. 3. Magazines name. 4 Publication date: 5. Page number(s). 6. Medium. MAGAZINE ARTICLE (Discover) Maddox, Bruno. Hawkings Exit Strategy. Discover. Sept. 2006: 31. Print.
- Slide 9
- FINDING RESOURCES ON YOUR TOPIC FROM ONLINE DATABASES -books -anthologies -magazines articles -newspaper articles -other sources
- Slide 10
- (You must have at least one online database or print resource used in your paper) An online research database is: a collection of articles available online from a variety of sources: (reference books, newspapers, magazines, television / radio program transcripts and journals) The sources are authoritative, reliable and edited for content. The collection is organized & easily searchable. Often an access fee must be paid. A password is required. WHAT IS AN ONLINE DATABASE?
- Slide 11
- WORLD BOOK WEB Three levels of accurate & current encyclopedia articles.
- Slide 12
- Slide 13
- Citing a World Book Web article: World Book Advanced Primack, Joel R. "Hawking, Stephen William." World Book Advanced. 2009. N. pag. INFOhio World Book Web. Web. 17 Sept. 2009.
- Slide 14
- INFOHIOs CORE COLLECTION OF ELECTRONIC RESOURCES: INFOhio provides access to thousands of online publications and research resources, including popular magazines, scholarly research journals, newspapers from Ohio and the nation, encyclopedias, dictionaries, speeches, poems, plays, photographs and videos, maps, test preparation, primary source documents and much more. * The ART Collection - Artwork & artifacts from world museums. * Biography Reference Bank - Life stories of individuals, historic & current. * Digital Video Collection Hundreds of curriculum-oriented videos. * EBSCOhost Collections of news, magazine & journal articles for research. * Spanish / French Encyclopedias articles for foreign language learners. * Learning Express Library Test-taking & learning tools in your own account. * Literature Online Digital collection of literary classics from all eras. * NewsBank Full-text magazine / newspaper collection from the U.S. and world. * Oxford Reference A complete and accurate digital reference collection. * Science Online Informative articles & images about current science topics. * World Book Web Three levels of accurate & current encyclopedia articles. * Other Resources A.D.A.M., American Memory, FirstGov, OPLIN, Medline Plus, NetWellness, Ohio Historical Society, Ohio Memory, OhioGov & more. ACCESS: all INFOhio resources are available at:http://www.infohio.org/http://www.infohio.org/ Username: explore Password: infohio INFOhios Electronic Resources Use & Citation *INFOhios Core Collection *Other Resources
- Slide 15
- Slide 16
- Citing an INFOhio Database Article: EBSCOhost (or other INFOhio Source) Database Article 1. Author. 2. Title of article. 3. Name of original source. 4. Publication date: 5. Page numbers. 6. Name of Database. 7. Medium. (Web). 8. Date of access (d. m. y.) Hawking, Stephen W. World Authors 1985 1990. N.p.: H. W. Wilson. 1995. N. pag. Biography Reference Bank. Web. 22 Sept. 2009.
- Slide 17
- Internet Search Tips USE A SEARCH ENGINE YOU KNOW Use KEY WORDS. Dont Type SENTENCES! Put phrases in quotes to lock together. Read Summary of sites before clicking. GOOGLE is a good HOME Search Page. KNOW THE TYPES OF WEBSITES .com = COMMERCIAL someone is selling a product. .org = ORGANIZATION a nonprofit information site. .gov = GOVERNMENT site of state / local / federal agency .edu = EDUCATIONAL a college or university site. .k12.oh.us = SCHOOL a public k-12 school website.
- Slide 18
- Google Search Features: Phrase search ("") By putting double quotes around a set of words, you are telling Google to consider the exact words in that exact order without any change. [ "Alexander Bell" ] Search within a specific website (site:) Google allows you to specify that your search results must come from a given website. For example, the query [ iraq site:nytimes.com ] will return pages about Iraq but only from nytimes.com. Terms you want to exclude (-) Attaching a minus sign immediately before a word indicates that you do not want pages that contain this word to appear in your results. For example [ jaguar -cars -football ]. Fill in the blanks (*) The *, or wildcard, is a little-known feature that can be very powerful. If you include * within a query, it tells Google to try to treat the star as a placeholder for any unknown term(s) and then find the best matches. The query [ Voinovich voted * on the * bill ] will give you stories about different votes on different bills. Note that the * operator works only on whole words, not parts of words.
- Slide 19
- Grammar of the Internet - Understanding a URL Understanding the URL or web address of a web page can sometimes provide you with important information about a web site. In this example we are using a web site that says the Holocaust never happened. Based on the URL shown below in blue how can we tell that this is the web site of an individual and not a Northwestern University web site?"
- Slide 20
- Citing a website ARTICLE IN A WEB SITE Author, Name. Title of article. Name of web page. Publisher, Publication date. Medium. Date of Access..
- Slide 21
- Citing a website - ARTICLE IN A WEB SITE Author, Name. Title of article. Name of web page. Publisher, Publication date. Medium. Date of Access.. Stein, Eileen. Border Collie Characteristics. All About Border Collies. United States Border Collie Club, Inc., 31 Aug. 2007. Web. 23 Sept. 2009.
- Slide 22
- Citing a website - ARTICLE IN A WEB SITE Author, Name. Title of article. Name of web page. Publisher, Publication date. Medium. Date of Access.. Ley, Niki and Sam Blackburn. Prof. Stephen Hawkings Biography. Professor Stephen Hawking. University of Cambridge, 2009. Web. 23 Sept. 2009.
- Slide 23
- WORKS CITED PAGE EXAMPLE
View more >
Robert Phillipson’s publications - Robert Phillipson’s publications . Books . On-line lectures, talk shows, and interviews . Articles in anthologies, encyclopedias, and journals
CLASSICISM - ?· CLASSICISM . Anthologies 3 . German Countries in Classicism - Anthologies 3 ... Emanuel…
?· See Dr. Shelton's Hygienic Review Magazines for endless articles by Dr. Vetrano & Dr. Tasca Haag!…
MACMILLAN ANTHOLOGIES OF ENGLISH LITERATURE 978-1-349-20151-8/1.pdf · MACMILLAN ANTHOLOGIES OF ENGLISH…
Mr. Fink See interviews Resources Books Articles Journals/Magazines Websites The Best??? Other Teachers Parents Students Experience
Magazines for Teenagers. Types of magazines: Architecture magazines; Art magazines; Car magazines; Computer magazines; Fantasy fiction magazines; Health