ICT Trends Article July 2014: Cloud Computing
out of 6
Post on 10-Nov-2014
DESCRIPTIONICT job advert trends for July 2014....Cloud Computing.
- 1. 1 ICT Trends Cloud Computing Anything/Everything-as-a-Service (XaaS) Anything-as-a-service,orXaaS,referstothe growingdiversityof servicesavailable over the Internet viacloudcomputingas opposedtobeingprovidedlocally, or on premises. The terms "software as a service" (SaaS), infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), desktop as a service (DaaS), backend as a service (BaaS), and information technology management as a service (ITMaaS) are classified in the cloud computing nomenclature. The potential to reduce IT support costs throughthe outsourcing of hardware and software maintenance has seen leading enterprise software companies incorporate SaaS into their overall strategies. Cloud Provisioning Cloud provisioning is user account provisioning in a cloud environment whereby the user's authorization and settings are configured for services and applications located remotely and deliveredoverthe Internet. The speedof provisioning,the flexible capacity to respond to increased demand, and the more standard architecture operating in the largest public clouds (Amazon Web Services, Google Compute Engine and Microsoft's Azure) has encouraged companies to build out private cloudoperations.Gartnerpredicts thatalmost half of large enterprises will be engaged in a combined public/private cloud operation often described as "hybrid" cloud computing, by 2017. Xero is a prime example of one of New Zealands best known SaaS companies. It provides cloud- based accounting software accessible directly from the internet cloud through a standard browser for small andmedium-sizedbusinesses.Xeroalsopromotes the integration of a wide range of third party cloud-based software for managing all aspects of business including CRM, inventory management, and invoicing and job systems; e.g. Quotient (a Xero award winner). NZ Trends In the September2012 IITP TechBlog article, featuring the headline Cloud Computing - A Threat or an Opportunity? a total of 71 cloud-category jobs, advertised on Seek ICT NZ, was recorded. Over the past two years this number has increased by 221 per cent to 228 (Fig.1). Fig 1 Seek ICT Job Adverts Cloud Category July 2014 Figure 2 illustratesthe numberof SeekICTNZjobscurrentlyadvertised usingthe cloudservices XaaS nomenclature.
- 2. 2 Fig 2 Seek ICT Job Adverts Cloud Computing Services (XaaS) July 2014 Figure 3 illustrates the distribution of cloud category jobs currently advertised by role. Note the numberof jobsadvertisedinthe cloud developer category has increased from 17 in August 2012 to 94, an upsurge of over 450 per cent in less than two years. Fig 3 Seek ICT Job Adverts Cloud Category by Role July 2014 Additional Information 1. Additional informationisavailablefrom North Bridge/Gigaom Research - Slideshare: The Future of Cloud Computing 4th Annual Survey 2014 (1358 respondents) 2. CloudComputingCode of Practice developed by the NZ Cloud Computing industry, facilitated by the IITP Job Adverts The SeekICT Jobads for July (Fig.4) postedaslight increase of 1.3 per cent on the June figure for all NZ. This was almost identical to the same period in 2013, up just 1 per cent.
- 3. 3 Fig.4 Seek ICT Job Adverts Monthly Trends 2010 2014 (July) The Trademe IT job adverts for July increased 13 per cent on last months figure of 1,111 although this was slightly down by 1.3 per cent on July 2013 (Fig.5). Fig.5 Seek ICT & Trademe IT Job Advert Trends to July 2014 Figure 6 illustrates afurtherincrease in Seek ICT job adverts for this month with Auckland (+2.3 per cent) leading the growth for the three main regions, just slightly ahead of Canterbury on +2.2 per cent. Accordingto the Absolute ITinsightreportof June 2014 the ChristchurchICT marketisset to cement itself asa key ICT hubof NewZealandthisyear with ICT companies in high speed growth mode - an additional 12% of employees plan to recruit staff, up to 86%. The two main motivations for the increase are drivenbynewprojects(21%) andthe increased demand of IT from the business (26%).
- 4. 4 Fig.6 Seek ICT Job Advert Trends Monthly Change for July 2014 Figure 7 provides a detailed record of the Seek ICT job advert trends by region for the year to July 2014. Overall the total number of jobs has increased by 56.6 per cent since the beginning of the year. Fig.7 Seek ICT Job Advert Monthly Trends to July 2014 News Bytes: A to Z Australia ARN: Analysis Skills change, shortage doesnt By 2018, the adoption of disruptive technologies will redefine 90 per cent of IT roles. Australia Sydney Morning Herald: Ambulance Victoria Rushing Data to Hospital as Well Ambulance Victoria has joined the big data movement by establishing a real time data exchange system to provide hospitals greater visibility of incoming patients' needs.
- 5. 5 Ireland RTE News: The hard reality of the Irish software industry The starkestfindinginthe reportisthat growingshortage of suitable softwareengineering talent.So severe isit,thatas many as half of all software vacancieshere are still filledbypeople beingbrought in from outside the country (in spite of Irelands high rate of unemployment). NZ Absolute IT Industry Reports: Christchurch insight report June 2013 Attracting top ICT talent to Christchurch region & holding on to them is front of mind for Christchurch employers. NZ IT Brief: IT jobs in NZ Whats in demand? Accordingto the latestreportfromspecialistrecruitmentconsultancyRobertWaltersthere ishigh demandforIT professionalsincludingbusinessanalysts,projectmanagersand architects. NZ NZTech.org.nz: Shadow IT: Tech leaders mentoring young women for a day ShadowIT has beendesignedasanopportunityfor high school female students to literally shadow IT professionalstogeta betterunderstandingof the workplace andcareerchoicesavailabletothem. NZ Stuff.co.nz: High demand for cyber experts The establishment of a cyber-security lab at Waikato University comes at a time when there is a growing shortage of cyber security experts worldwide. NZ Stuff.co.nz: Hospital now wired for success Patients in surgery are physically tracked by armbands with radio frequency signals. NZ Stuff.co.nz: Women hacking Silicon Valley boys club Women outnumber men in the specific jobs of analysts and advisers working on preventing breaches and strengthening technology defences, according to 2011 and 2013 studies from the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium, or ISC2. NZ Twitter.com: @Gazza_R Based on Seek ICT job adverts .NET is the top ranked NZ programming language while the TIOBE Programming Community Index (PCI) rates C as the most popular language for the month of June. SA BizNis Africa: 2014 ICT Skills Survey represents opportunity for sector The 2014 annual ICTSkillsSurvey,whichofficially kicked off in June 2014, is continuing apace as ICT practitioners and employers are encouraged to take part in the 6th edition of this highly-regarded evaluation of skills requirements and skills acquisition in the ICT sector in South Africa. SA IT Web: SA suffers slow ICT skills transfer SA has a crisis on its hands at the moment in line with the number of graduates from ICT-related courses that needs to be addressed. USA Computing.co.nz: Salaries soar for cyber security high-flyers While CISOs have traditionally reported to the CIO, many of these new blue-chip CISOs are being toldto reportdirectlytothe CEO and the board and insome casesare actuallygettingtheirownseat on the board. USA Newsroom.Cisco.com: Closing the Technology Skills Gap: Can E-Learning Save the Day? On top of hundreds of thousands of open software and app development, IT management, networking,bigdata,anduserexperience designjobsacrossthe world,there will soonbe thousands more tech jobs in emerging fields. USA Tech Republic.com: The state of women in technology: 15 data points you should know Google has announced it will invest $50 million in programs to get girls more interested in STEM education and coding with a "Made With Code" campaign.
View more >
ICT Growth Trends Cloud Computing - ITU Growth Trends Cloud Computing Tatiana Kurakova ... NOTE –Examples of resources include servers, ... Cloud Functional Architecture