aig conference august 20, 2009 kaylene burcham-hall
out of 24
Post on 21-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- AIG Conference August 20, 2009 Kaylene Burcham-Hall
- Slide 2
- Welcome Parents North Carolina Academic Scholars Program DEPs (Differentiated Educational Plans) Ten Misconceptions of AIG Students Tips on Handling Academic Stress
- Slide 3
- What Are the Acronyms? AIG stands for Academically and Intellectually Gifted; students are labeled AG through testing. DEP stands for Differentiated Educational Plan.
- Slide 4
- NC Academic Scholars Program What are the benefits? Students who complete the requirements for an academically challenging high school program will be named North Carolina Academic Scholars and receive special recognition. Students may use this special recognition in applying for scholarships and to post- secondary institutions.
- Slide 5
- BENEFIT AND REQUIREMENT Honors courses are more heavily weighted, i.e., Honors English A = 5 points Standard English A = 4 points Foreign language levels 3, 4, & 5 carry an extra quality point. [Levels 1 & 2 are required for graduation.] Students must have an overall four-year unweighted GPA of 3.5 to qualify as an academic scholar.
- Slide 6
- What is the Academic Scholars Program of Study? Credits English Language Arts I, II, III, IV 4 Mathematics 4 (Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, and a higher level math course with Algebra II as prerequisite OR Integrated Mathematics I, II, III, and a higher level mathematics course with Integrated Mathematics III as prerequisite) Science 3 (a Physics or Chemistry course, Biology, and an Earth/Environmental Science course) Social Studies 3 (World History, Civics/Economics, and U.S. History) Foreign Languages 2 Healthful Living 1 Career and Technical Education 1 Arts Education 1 (Dance, Music, Theatre Arts or Visual Arts) Elective Credits 5 * to include at least two second-level or advanced courses (Examples of electives include JROTC and other courses that are of interest to the student.) Total Credits 24
- Slide 7
- DEPs These forms are housed in confidential folders. DEPs are examined by faculty of gifted students as a reference. Guidance refers to an individual DEP as needed.
- Slide 8
- DEPs Please indicate, with a check mark, the courses you and your child feel should be a part of your students high school plan. This plan is important as it makes you and your student aware of offerings at Wilkes Central and serves as a legal document for the gifted program.
- Slide 9
- Recommendations: Service Options Remember, these are not rigid commitments but serve as a guide for your child. Honors classes (1 extra point) AP classes (2 extra points) AIG/Honors Classes: Senior English IV Honors & Honors Discrete Mathematics are offered. AP Biology & European History (not offered) AP Offerings: English III & IV; US History; Statistics; Calculus.) AP TESTS (Spring) Pass all AP Tests=5 Possible Credits in College
- Slide 10
- Other Potential activities to supplement the high school experience: Dual Enrollment Afternoon/Evening College (beginning with sophomore students, providing they qualify) Summer School-College Virtual High School Cyber Classroom Courses.
- Slide 11
- Content Modification Teachers may use any of the following methods of instruction to meet the needs of students: computer-based, differentiated instructional units, curriculum compacting, independent study, contracts within courses and authentic assessment.
- Slide 12
- Finalize your DEP; Student and Parent sign and date.
- Slide 13
- Maddening Myths #1 Gifted kids have it made and will succeed no matter what; they dont need any special help. #2 Gifted kids should love school, get high grades, and greet each new school day with enthusiasm. #3 Gifted students come from white middle- and upper- class families. #4 Gifted kids are good at everything they do. #5 Teachers love to have gifted students in their classes.
- Slide 14
- Maddening Myths #6 If gifted students are grouped together, they will become snobbish and elitist. #7 All gifted kids have trouble adjusting to school and forming friendships. #8 Gifted students dont know that theyre different unless someone tells them. #9 Gifted students must constantly be challenged and kept busy or theyll get lazy.
- Slide 15
- Maddening Myth #10 Gifted kids are equally mature in all areas--academic, physical, social, and emotional.
- Slide 16
- Slide 17
- Quote by David Elkind Contemporary American society has struck teenagers a double blow. It has rendered them more vulnerable to stress while at the same time exposing them to new and more powerful stresses than were ever faced by previous generations of adolescents.
- Slide 18
- STRESS Identify the Cause. Name IT! Make a List of Top 5-10 Causes of Stress. Take Responsibility. Take Positive Action. Engage in One or More Stress-Reducing Activities.
- Slide 19
- Stress Reducing Activities Go to a movie or watch a video. Take a nap. Talk to somebody you know and trust. Experience nature, i.e., take a hike. Go for a ride, car or bike. Visit your church, synagogue, temple, or mosque. Wander through a bookstore.
- Slide 20
- Stress Reducing Activities Call a relative on the telephone. Work on a hobby. Do something nice for another person (anonymously). Exercise! Consciously, breath deeply.
- Slide 21
- Go with the FLOW? Rule Number 1 is, dont sweat the small stuff. Rule Number 2 is, its all small stuff. And if you cant fight and you cant flee, flow. Dr. Robert S. Eliot
- Slide 22
- Slide 23
- CONTACTS Contact WCHS AIG Teachers or Guidance Counselors Mrs. Donna Rollins (juniors & seniors) and Mrs. Bley (freshmen & sophomores) at 667- 5277. Contact Wilkes County AIG Program Specialist, Pat Mazza, at 667-1121.
- Slide 24
- Thanks for Coming! Thanks for your attendance and support of our program! BEST Wishes to You and Your Children! GO EAGLES!
View more >
FA-AIG Marine Liability-1 ?· AIG Indonesia merupakan bagian dari kelompok usaha AIG Inc. Dalam lebih…
01 AIG BUSINESS GUARD - Bisnis - Asuransi dari AIG di ... ?· AIG BUSINESS GUARD 010 ... policies for…
AIG Information Technology: Work from Anywhere Gen2 Access...Â Â· AIG Information Technology Citrix Gen 2 External Access - AIG Asset/Personal AIG Information Technology: Work from Anywhere Gen2 Accessing AIG Citrix Generation 2