you don't need a social media strategy (washington dc edition)
out of 40
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONWASHINGTON, DC, USA - June 17, 2010 - Presentation for Jeff Pulver's 140 Characters Conference (#140conf). Audiences: marketers, advertisers, strategists.
- YOU DONT NEED A SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY
- THIS DECK WAS PRESENTED AT THE 140 CHARACTERS CONFERENCE IN WASHINGTON DC ON 6/17/10. IT WAS WRITTEN FOR A TEN-MINUTE LIGHTNING TALK FORMAT. IT WAS CREATED IN RESPONSE TO ABOUT MYRIAD PUNDITS CONTINUING TO THIS GUSH OVER SOCIAL MEDIA AS A SUPER-SPECIAL SPECIALTY AREA. PRESO SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING IS FAR PAST THE EXPERIMENTATION AND SHINY NEW OBJECT PHASES. TIME TO STOP GUSHING, START THINKING ABOUT INTEGRATION, AND START SHOWING RESULTS. 2
- Im an American, but work in Vancouver, so heres a shout-out to all the Canadians in the audience at #140conf! IM IN YER COUNTREE, STEELIN UR HELTHCAREZ 3
- Im an ad guy, a marketer, a suit but also a mega-nerd, one of the first bloggers (see above) and podcasters. Ive seen the web move from experimental to commercial to search to social. i.e., Im not predisposed to either social or traditional media. Im fortunate that Ive been able to explore marketing innovations to see which trends and tools have legs or dont for my clients. 4
- 2004-2009 WAS A RIOT, AN EXPERIMENT, A FUN CULTURAL EXPERIENCE. ITS BEEN A WE MARVELLED AS OUR TWEETS SCROLLED BY AT SXSW. FUN FIVE WE SIGNED UP FOR JAIKU, POWNCE YEARS, AND TWITTER. HASNT IT? USTREAM, KYTE AND JUSTIN.TV. SNAPVINE, TROTTR AND UTTERLI. IN SHORT, WE TRIED EVERYTHING. 5
- In the early days of the social web, we joined Flickr meetups 6
- We attended Ignite, TechLive, Facebook Developer Garages. Wrote blog posts in podcasting lounges at social media conferences. 7
- We marvelled at (and endlessly played) the Did You Know video. 8
- And we watched as Justine talked about her iPhone bill from AT&T. 9
- WE WATCHED OPRAH, ASHTON, LARRY KING AND CNN POUNCE ON TWITTER. WE STOPPED RANTING THAT IT WAS ABOUT A DIALOGUE AND STARTED TALKING ABOUT CO- CREATION, CROWDSOURCING AND UNPAID ARMIES. AND THEN PEOPLE STARTED TALKING ABOUT THE NEED FOR A SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY. 10
- WE DONT NEED NO STEENKING SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY. 11
- THATS LIKE A CELL PHONE STRATEGY. 12
- A FREEWAY STRATEGY. 13
- BECAUSE SOCIAL AINT NO BOLT-ON PUBLISHING PLATFORM. 14
- AND IF YOURE IN MKTG/PR, 15
- SOCIAL SHOULD BE WOVEN INTO EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. 16
- My job is to OUR GOALS: think past mere communication. To get my INTERACT. clients customers to interact with our SHARE. content. To share it with their friends. To get them off GET OFF their asses and get them to DO something. Join a loyalty club. YOUR ASS. Show up at a company event. Choose us at retail. 17
- IN OTHER WORDS: ENGAGEMENT. INFLUENCE. ACTIVATION. Rather than a social media strategy, we need an Engagement Strategy. An Influence Strategy. An Activation Strategy. Focused around our clients end business goals, not media specialties! Srsly. 18
- REIMAGINING OUR APPROACH STUDY/ PLAN LISTEN PUBLISH ENGAGE INFLUENCE ACTIVATE Too many companies approach social from a Publishing mindset. We recommend rethinking marketing using a MIX of traditional and social, in the context of Engagement, Influence & Activation. An activated customer spends more, shares more and cares more. Its a harder creative challenge but a better one. CREATIVE CHALLENGE REVENUE POTENTIAL
- 36,053 PEOPLE WHO COMMITTED TO LEAVING FACEBOOK ON QUIT FACEBOOK DAY (MAY 31) NEW USERS WHO JOINED THAT DAY ANYWAY 794,000 (GIVE OR TAKE A FEW THOUSAND) HUMOROUS ASIDE: On May 31, 2010, 36,000 people were activated to quit Facebook. Ironically, that same day, another 794,000 were activated to join Facebook anyway. 20
- Weve seen incredible success DDB IS for our clients using a blend of traditional and social media. FOCUSING EXAMPLE: DDB Canada was asked to build a ON A traditional media campaign for Knorrs Sidekicks BLENDED low-sodium packaged meal product. We created a APPROACH character, Salty, who was no longer needed at the dinner table. 21
- Once we had started the conversation through traditional media, we then brought Salty to life through social. 22
- Our Radar DDB Cultivation Team engaged with consumers in character, on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and elsewhere. Visitors were encouraged (and activated) to participate with Salty through activities like photo contests. 23
- Through the social sites, Salty could come to life and engage with consumers, who would use their influence to forward, fan and like him. 24
- Even teenagers surfing ChatRoulette were stunned to find they were chatting with salt and pepper shakers, instead of some random shirtless dude. Surprise! 25
- We got traditional press as well as lots of blogger pickup, and our cultivation team engaged with these bloggers to stretch our reach and influence further. Lets take a look at another traditional commercial that followed after the initial Salty creative.
- We encouraged user-generated content. Consumers started uploading videos of their kids interacting with the salt and pepper shakers, some getting thousands of views.
- People enthusiastically submitted photos in our photo contests. And then shared those photos with friends.
- They even put together photo shoots featuring their culinary dishes, along with Salty and Pep.
- And pasta art submissions prove that activation CAN defeat time starvation! So how did the campaign do?
- 6,000 FACEBOOK FANS 400,000+ VIDEO VIEWS 1,000 TWITTER FOLLOWERS 18,000 SALTY & PEP SHAKERS WE MOVED SOLD OUT IN FIRST 25 DAYS THE NEEDLE. HIGHEST WEBSITE TRAFFIC EVER SIDEKICKS SALES ROSE BY 10% SIDEKICKS SURPASSED UNCLE BENS AS #1 BRAND IN MEAL ACCOMPANIMENTS 31
- BRANDED SITE EXTERNAL MKTG-MANAGED PRESENCE EXTERNAL THIRD-PARTY SITE Integrated Traditional/Social Marketing Mix TRADITIONAL MEDIA/PR TOPICAL COMMUNITIES: IP, HELPFUL TIPS D E T E R M I N AT I O N E V A L U A T I O N / C O M P A R I S O N A W A R E N E S S PRODUCT LAUNCH MICROSITE P U R C H A S E S T O R Y T E L L I N HELPFUL G RECIPE L O Y A L T Y SEO RESOURCES EVENTS DOT-COM SITE S COMMENTS COMPANY BLOG (IP) ONLINE SAMPLING FACEBOOK
View more >