Www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES University Of Derby Rolling Programme Mentor Update 2010.
Post on 25-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES University Of Derby Rolling Programme Mentor Update 2010
- Slide 2
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Introduction This update will support you to meet your professional requirements under: The Code (NMC, 2008) Standards to Support Learning and Assessment in Practice (NMC, 2008) Standards of Proficiency for Pre-registration Nursing Education (NMC, 2004)
- Slide 3
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Purpose of the annual update Assist you in making confident judgements about student performance in practice Provide a forum where you can share experiences with colleagues, ask questions and discuss issues of concern To keep you abreast of current issues in relation to the ADNS programme
- Slide 4
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Standards to Support Learning and Assessment In Practice (NMC 2008) Can be viewed online at www.nmc-uk.org Defines and promotes standards to ensure excellence in practice learning The standards identify the knowledge and skills required of a mentor to support and assess students effectively
- Slide 5
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Advanced Diploma in Nursing Studies 50 students Chesterfield Campus March and September 30 students at Kedleston Road March and September Three year full time programme (one year Common Foundation, two years Branch) Upon completion students exit with Advanced Diploma in Nursing Studies, which includes 60 credits at level 6. 50% theory and 50% practice Interprofessional learning module during common foundation programme
- Slide 6
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES 3/52 Formative IPL MODULE 3/52 Formative 10/52 Summative 6/52 Formative 6/52 Summative 7/52 Summative 4/52 Elective 12/52 Summative HOLIDAY 6/52 Formative 1/52 Formative 6/52 Summative 1/52 Summativ e HOLIDAY 1/52 Summative DERBY UNIVERSITY ADVANCED DIPLOMA IN NURSING STUDIES (ADULT BRANCH) NEW PROGRAMME - September 2009 Intake 1 st 2 nd 3 rd
- Slide 7
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES New Curriculum Common Foundation Programme Introduced to practice placements after 6 weeks in theory module 1 st placement will be 6 weeks (formative) branch specific 2 nd placement will be 6 weeks (formative) to include non branch exposure 3 rd placement will be for 10 week branch specific placement which will be summatively assessed = 22 weeks in practice
- Slide 8
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Common Foundation Programme (CFP,1 st year) Formative and summative assessments Community and acute experience Pathway opportunities Non branch opportunities Final placement branch specific for 10 weeks Reflection in theory and practice 7 weeks holiday
- Slide 9
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Branch (2 nd and 3 rd year) Streams Rotation Formative and summative assessments 4x 7 week placements (rotation) 3 x in 2 nd year and 1x in 3 rd year Elective opportunity 4 weeks Transition to registered nurse 12 weeks = 44 weeks in practice
- Slide 10
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Streams Group 1 - Medical / Surgical / Rehab / P. Care Group 2 - Surgical / Medical / P.Care / Rehab Group 3 - Rehab / P.Care / Medical / Surgical Group 4 - P.Care / Rehab / Surgical / Medical
- Slide 11
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Course Requirements 37.5 hrs per week in practice (new programme) 40 hours per week in practice (existing programme) Annual leave planned for 3 years Students work all shift patterns 40% time spent with mentor 12 nights over 3 years (unless under 18 years)
- Slide 12
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Maintaining qualified mentor status Successful completion of NMC validated mentor preparation programme Annual mentorship update (rolling programme) Triennial review
- Slide 13
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Support for mentors in practice Educational lead within the Trust Ward sisters Matrons University Practice Team (link lecturers) Clinical Placement Learning Team
- Slide 14
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Sign-off mentors Support final placement student Require preparation for role Clinically current and capable in field of practice in which student is being assessed Ensure that all components of the assessment documentation are complete Understand accountability in role of sign off mentor
- Slide 15
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Essential Skills Clusters (ESCs) Introduced as a result of concerns over lack of knowledge and skills in fundamental nursing practice (Fitness for Practice, NMC 2005) The NMC Essential Skills Clusters (ESCs) are intended to be used in support of the achievement of the Nursing Proficiencies All students will require assessment of essential skills throughout the pre-registration programme
- Slide 16
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES ESCs cover the following as broad headings: care and compassion, communication (CCC) organisational aspects of care (OAC) infection prevention and control (IPC) nutrition and fluid maintenance (NFM) medicines management (MM) Under these headings there are 42 essential skills areas identified, which are further sub-divided into CFP and branch skills
- Slide 17
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Summative assessment in CFP In CFP assessments will be required in: Height, weight and BMI Fluid Balance Dietary Intake Vital Signs Aseptic technique and medicine calculations assessed in University
- Slide 18
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Summative Assessment in Branch In branch programmes assessments in practice will be required for; Nutritional assessment Hydration/Dehydration Medicines administration Enteral feeding (Not Mental Health Branch) IV Fluids (Not Learning Disability or Mental Health Branch) Patient Group Directions will be assessed in University
- Slide 19
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Summary The nursing Essential Skills Clusters (ESCs) identify skills that: are under broad headings fundamental to best practice relate to all nursing fields of practice reflect patient expectation of new qualifiers in specific areas complement existing NMC outcomes and proficiencies require specific testing must be demonstrated before entry to the branch programme and prior to registration are subject to ongoing monitoring and review
- Slide 20
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Quiz time!
- Slide 21
- www.derby.ac.uk EDUCATION, HEALTH AND SCIENCES Thank you Any questions?
View more >
Www.derby.ac.uk/corporate University of Derby Corporate www.derby.ac.uk/corporate University of Derby Corporate (UDC) and International Centre for Guidance.
Derby Pride Trust Derby Moor Community Sports College/Derby Pride Academy Our Masters Programme with University of Derby.
Study Programme - UGent ?· Study Programme Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Ghent University…
Www.derby.ac.uk Progression Agreements, what can they add to (vocational) progression? Jeff Braham, University of Derby, School of Flexible and Partnership.
University of Derby (UoD) Education, Health & Sciences Arts, Design & Technology Derbyshire Business School UoD College Buxton Business Development Unit.
AYUSH AND HEALTH SCIENCES UNIVERSITY OF CHHATTISGARH ?· ayush and health sciences university of chhattisgarh…
FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES UNIVERSITY OF OF HEALTH SCIENCES UNIVERSITY OF BUEA PROGRAMME IN MEDICINE ... 2 Week 1 (25 October 2010 to ... Definition 2 HSC 215 Ndumbe
Www.derby.ac.uk Using ICS to inform formulation with complex cases Michael Townend, PhD, Reader in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy, University of Derby,
City University London School of Community Health Sciences ??3 City University London School of Community Health Sciences Marking Record and Feedback to Student Programme(s) BSc (Hons) Midwifery (78-week programme)
AYUSH AND HEALTH SCIENCES UNIVERSITY OF aug-2016.pdfayush and health sciences university of chhattisgarh ... ayush and health sciences university of chhattisgarh,raipur ... ayush and health sciences university of ...
Derby GP Specialty Training Programme 24 th March 2010 Mike Sandys Acting Director of Public Health.