why you've got to be tweeting
Post on 13-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1.Why You'veGotto Be Tweeting! Dena Botbyl :: evolutionyou.net
- Dena Botbyl
- Social Media :: 11 Years
- Blogger :: evolutionyou.net
- Twitter User :: 980 Followers :: 400 Following
3. What Is Social Media?
- Social mediaare media for social interaction, using highly accessible and scalable communication techniques. Social media is the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into interactive dialogue.
- A common thread running through all definitions of social media is a blending of technology and social interaction for the co-creation of value.
4. Social Media Platforms
5. What is Twitter?
- Twitter was produced in March 2006
- by Jack Dorsey and launched in July.
- Twitter offers a social networking and microblogging service, enabling its users to send and read messages called tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 characters displayed on the user's profile page.
- Since 2006, Twitter has gained popularity worldwide and is estimated to have 200 million users, generating up to 177 million tweets a day and handling over 800,000 search queries per day.
6. Why Should You Use Twitter?
- Twitter is one of the fastest growing Social Media networks in the world.
- 200 million registered Twitter users
- Up to 177 million Tweets posted per day
- 460,000 new Twitter accounts created every day
- Average number of Tweets per day increases 280% month over month
- From 2010 to 2011, the number of mobile Twitter users increased 182%
- Between 2008 and 2011 there was a 5000% increase in the number of employees at Twitter
7. Why Should You Use Twitter?
- It's cost effective.
- In fact, it costs nothing.
- The investment is time
- & energy.
- And the business world is realizing this. Just three weeks ago it was reported that Twitter is the tool of choice for talking by Fortune 500 companies:
- Nearly 50 percent of the top 100 companies have a Twitter account. Four of the top five corporations, Wal-Mart, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and General Electric, consistently post on their Twitter accounts.
8. Twitter & Accounting
- According to Twitters Yellow Pages, Twellow, last January there were more than2,800accounting-related Twitter accounts.
- Today that number is41,411 .
- A1,379 percent increasein just over one year. Accounting professionals and accounting firms are Tweeting.
9. Twitter & Accounting
- Googles blog search shows more than600,000results for accounting-related blogs.
- There are more than500Facebook pages dedicated to accounting businesses and groups.
- Accountants and accounting firms are blogging and Facebooking!
10. Twitter & Accounting
- Each of the Big 4 accounting firms have:
- a blog (or multiple blogs)
- Twitter accounts
- and Facebook pages.
- Not only are accounting firms and professionals using these forms of social media, they aremaking it workfor them.
11. Twitter & Accounting
- A few examples:
- For the 13 thyear in a row, Plante and Moran, the 12 thlargest accounting firm in the United States, was named one of the Top 100 Firms to Work For by FORTUNE Magazine.
- To celebrate the award, the firm issued a charity challenge via Facebook, using the social network to send out a survey asking which one of the 15 charitable organizations the firm supports should be awarded $1,300.
- The response was so overwhelming they ended up with four winners instead of just one!
12. Twitter & Accounting
- Andrew Rose, director of marketing and business development at accounting firm Naden/Lean has a fantastic Twitter success story.
- After setting up his Twitter account he searched his firms name to see what people were saying and found a Tweet mentioning how great his firms advice was.
- He followed that person and thanked him for recognizing them publicly.
- The persons Tweet, which linked to one of Naden/Leans industry blogs, got the firm ranked in the top 20 in Googles organic search results.
13. Twitter & Accounting
- CPA Dan Morris from VeraSage Institute made front page of theMarketplace sectionof theWall Street Journalafter sharing information about alternatives to hourly fees for accountants via Facebook and Twitter.
- He credits the success of the placement of the story to spreading the word via social networking.
14. Interesting Tweets
- Social media may have been integral to the Middle East revolutions and revolts of 2011. As one Cairo activist succinctly put it, "We use Facebook to schedule the protests, Twitter to coordinate, and YouTube to tell the world."
15. Interesting Tweets
- Recently, Navy SEALS found and killed Osama bin Laden. This was a massive Twitter event.
- Perhaps the first major news event to unravel on Twitter.
- News leaked out on Twitter a full hour before President Obamas 11:30 p.m. address to the nation and set a record for the most tweets.
- From 10:45 p.m. to 2:20 a.m. that Sunday, an average of 3,000 tweets per second (TPS).
- Peaked at 11 p.m. with an astonishing 5,106 TPS.
- Tops Super Bowl (4,046 TPS), royal wedding (3,966 TPS), and earthquake in Japan (5,000 TPS).
16. What Can You Do With Twitter?
- Build your network and connect with colleagues
- Market your products or services
- Answer and ask questions
- Announce events, contests, & giveaways
- Ask for or provide feedback
- Provide customer service and support
17. What Can You Do With Twitter?
- Share resources, tips, tricks, and thought leadership
- Post news and events from your company or industry
- Post interesting resources
- Post company blog articles or links to favorite blogs
- Tell followers about job openings
- And much more -- be creative!
18. The Basics
- Tweets On Twitter you can express yourself in 140 characters at a time. These expressions are published and shared on your personal Twitter feed. The people following you will see these expressions. The expressions are called Tweets.
19. The Basics
- Tweeps The
- people following
- you and the people
- that you follow are
- your Tweeps. You know how some people call their people their peeps? The word Tweeps is just like that.
20. The Basics
- #hashtags #hashtags are a method of categorizing Tweets. They are just like tags.
- For example, if you write a Tweet about Dalmatians, you can tag it with a #hashtag. At the end of the Tweet, simply type #Dalmatians. That way, any Tweep who is looking for other Tweeps discussing Dalmatians can easily find you & your Tweet.
- Likewise, if you are looking for Tweets about bulldogs, you can do a Twitter search for bulldogs and every tweet that is tagged with the #hashtag #bulldog will show up for you (in order of newest to oldest). #hashtags make it easy to find other Tweeps who are talking about things that interest you.
21. The Basics
- @mentions In all of the madness, how do you know when someone is talking to/interacting with you? The answer to that is @mentions.
- Whenever someone is talking to/engaging with you they will @mention you. That simply means they will type your Twitter handle in the Tweet that references you.
- You can view your @mentions anytime and therefore you will know when someone speaks to/references/engages with you.
22. The Basics
- Retweets If you enjoy something that